ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
motonewb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Good deal on this 2014 Super Tenere?

I've got my sight on a 2014 Super Tenere.

Dealership wants $15K out the door. I'm planning on giving them my Tiger 800XC and giving them $8K in cash which means they're taking my bike at $7K, about $1K less than I think I can get for it if I sell it myself (it will be turned in bone stock).

Does this sounds reasonable to you guys?

I did a fair share of haggling and he even went as far as to go out back, come back with an envelope with his invoice and a certificate of something from Yamaha. Invoice read just over $13K, so he's not making a lot of money here. Can this invoice be faked? Is this a common salesman strategy?
motonewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
Paul466
n00b

Oddometer: 5
14 super tenere

Got my 13 ST for $13 OTD. Too much for 14 IMO.Is it es model or standard?
Paul466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonewb View Post

Dealership wants $15K out the door. I'm planning on giving them my Tiger 800XC and giving them $8K in cash which means they're taking my bike at $7K, about $1K less than I think I can get for it if I sell it myself (it will be turned in bone stock).

I did a fair share of haggling and he even went as far as to go out back, come back with an envelope with his invoice and a certificate of something from Yamaha. Invoice read just over $13K, so he's not making a lot of money here. Can this invoice be faked? Is this a common salesman strategy?
It can't be faked but it's also not a true measure of profit, either. There is a holdback allowance, as well as regional and district spiffs that will credit the dealer a certain percentage on certain units. These credits add up over the course of the model year and the dealer can receive the cash back, or redeem a portion of it for other things. There's no money in new units.

I was a sales manager at a dealership many years ago, and am currently back selling bikes at an ex-customer's, as well as doing some consulting, as I got fed up with the aftermarket portion of the industry over the winter and walked away. I have a little different take on supporting your local dealer than most people do, but my advice to you is if you find the bike you want (hard to do sometimes) at a deal YOU are comfortable with, pull the trigger. I guarantee you that someone on here will always have purchased the same bike cheaper than you did.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 344
Before adding Yamaha side cases, Yamaha heated grips and an additional 48 months of YES plan, my new 2014 S10 was $13K plus TAVT (Georgia 7% of "value" tax).

If your not getting any farkles, it's too much IMHO.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
motonewb OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB View Post
Before adding Yamaha side cases, Yamaha heated grips and an additional 48 months of YES plan, my new 2014 S10 was $13K plus TAVT (Georgia 7% of "value" tax).

If your not getting any farkles, it's too much IMHO.
Well, the bike is around 12,999. Then they add freight, handling, and taxes from Taxifornia, as well as registration. 15K square.

How's that YES plan? Is it worth it?
Old 04-17-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
I don't know what OTD means to you or others but bought my 14 ES back in December for 14.7K$ OTD including TTT and tax in my state that tax is something like 6.5-7%. That included Yamaha OE panniers, top box and the liners/bag thingies.

It's a Yamaha so I don't know if the YES warranty is worth it or not for something you may never use. I am going to wait to see if I ever use the factory warranty and if not, I won't worry with it. If I use it during the 1yr term, I'll buy the 4yr YES extended warranty. If you hit up the Tenere forum there is a dealership with a thread offering the 4yr plan for a bit over 400$. To tell the truth, I wish I woulda tried to negotiate the cost of the warranty and purchased it in with the financing as roughly a 100$ a year isn't bad for peace of mind considering all the electronics these bikes have.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
LJM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:

Exactly what I paid a few months ago in CA. And it's a great deal you will love the bike and zero buyers remorse !
LJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #8
motonewb OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I don't know what OTD means to you or others but bought my 14 ES back in December for 14.7K$ OTD including TTT and tax in my state that tax is something like 6.5-7%. That included Yamaha OE panniers, top box and the liners/bag thingies.

It's a Yamaha so I don't know if the YES warranty is worth it or not for something you may never use. I am going to wait to see if I ever use the factory warranty and if not, I won't worry with it. If I use it during the 1yr term, I'll buy the 4yr YES extended warranty. If you hit up the Tenere forum there is a dealership with a thread offering the 4yr plan for a bit over 400$. To tell the truth, I wish I woulda tried to negotiate the cost of the warranty and purchased it in with the financing as roughly a 100$ a year isn't bad for peace of mind considering all the electronics these bikes have.
I really don't understand how some of you get these deals. I've done a lot of research, called almost every dealership within a 75 mile radius, and this is the best I've managed. I did get one lower price, around $13.5K but this was in Illinois. Not worth it.

I would have loved to get luggage with it, but it was never something that was on the table.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #9
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
I really don't understand how some of you get these deals.
The interwebs are filled with optimistic reporting. Don't fret; do your research and trust your instincts. Then, ride while others talk about how much money they saved.
Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Jalamajohn
Ready to Ride!

Oddometer: 20
Talking 2014

The 2014 Super Tenere is a great bike. I got one 10 days ago by emailing all of the dealers in So Cal asking for their best OTD price. Then I got in my empty truck with my checkbook and started visiting them one by one armed with the best offer I'd rec'd which was $13.7 OTD. The 4th shop I went to beat that by $100.
Love this bike! Almost through my 600 mile break-in period. Sport mode is awesome!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #11
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
I really don't understand how some of you get these deals. I've done a lot of research, called almost every dealership within a 75 mile radius, and this is the best I've managed. I did get one lower price, around $13.5K but this was in Illinois. Not worth it.

I would have loved to get luggage with it, but it was never something that was on the table.
I bought on Dec28th and incentives went down Jan.1st. If memory serves, the incentive was 2K$. I bought mine from Brewer Cycles in Henderson N.C. which is about a 7 hour drive from me. It was a great price as they misquoted the bike due to a misunderstanding on what "panniers and top box" meant which is how I ended up with the liners. It all day to get the bike and the financing ironed out due to the misunderstanding and will hand it to them, they accepted their mistake when I showed them an e-mail with an OTD price they had quoted me as I had expressly stated that it was a 7 hour ride and I wanted a firm number in writing before I came down. For anyone buying a bike more than a few miles away,,,,, you better have an OTD price with the breakdown for every detail, fee, tax and charge before you leave. I think it saved them and me a big problem.

As I stated, I also had financing issues because I had a local dealership run my credit with Yamaha the day prior so when I tried to get the bike near 500 miles away the next day, flags went up. Because we had spent so much time on the price thing, the financing dept. was technically closed. Again, I pitched a fit as I couldn't readily return. Finally got everything done a couple hours after store closing.

There are a couple of reasons I got the bike at the price I stated. The incentives at the time, a misunderstanding which lead to a misquote and the fact that I had the price in writing meant that if I left, they were looking at small claims court for travel expenses and finally,,,,, I think Brewer Cycles is actually owned and operated by people who care about their reputation and their word.

BTW, at the time,,,, people were buying 12s and 13s for very, very good prices. I actually found a white 13 with heated grips and luggage added for more than 1K$ less than what I bought the 14 ES. It was very tempting as it was local but I really wanted cruise and the other 14 improvements. I seem to remember a few folks buying base 12s and 13s for around 10K$ OTD.

Maybe the incentives have passed because it's spring and bike buying season but one thing is for sure if you have patience, spring and summer will pass and once again, the buyer will be in the cat bird's seat. If you don't have patience and you must buy in spring or summer,,,,, then the dealership is in the driver's seat.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:44 AM   #12
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
...It's a Yamaha so I don't know if the YES warranty is worth it or not for something you may never use. I am going to wait to see if I ever use the factory warranty and if not, I won't worry with it. If I use it during the 1yr term, I'll buy the 4yr YES extended warranty. If you hit up the Tenere forum there is a dealership with a thread offering the 4yr plan for a bit over 400$. To tell the truth, I wish I woulda tried to negotiate the cost of the warranty and purchased it in with the financing as roughly a 100$ a year isn't bad for peace of mind considering all the electronics these bikes have.
+1

Another thing to consider is how long do you plan on keeping the bike and anticipated miles to be racked up. Extending your warranty to 5 yrs unlimited mileage for only $104 a year is a no brainer for me at the current time. I plan on putting some high miles on this bike. No need to buy warranty at time of purchase either. I will purchase it the month prior to my factory 1 yr warranty expiring just in case plans change.

_
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote