ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Aux Tank Cap

I installed the plastic Aux tank on my 990 a few months back love it but the issue I run into is the fill cap, its a bitch to get on/off like the last trun its running into the pannier rack. Running the KTM gobi racks. is there a different cap I can use or do I need to cut/re weld the rack?
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Assuming,yours came with the large Acerbis cap like mine, yes there is a flatter replacement Acerbis cap that will give you a little extra room. I also broke off the tube nipple , drilled out the hole a little and inserted a tire valve. Screw on a tire valve cap with a tiny hole in the side and you have a vented cap that wont spill gas when your bike decides to take a nap. This is flush with the top of the cap which is better than having the tube sticking up.
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Well dont have an issue with the tube the corner of the cap hits the support bracket for the pannier rack cap seams pretty tall do you know what type acerbis cap it takes? large or small? I would assume small. I dont need much to get it to clear but its just one of those small annoying things i would like to have fixed
Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
Well dont have an issue with the tube the corner of the cap hits the support bracket for the pannier rack cap seams pretty tall do you know what type acerbis cap it takes? large or small? I would assume small. I dont need much to get it to clear but its just one of those small annoying things i would like to have fixed
Solution is to cut the support brackets off (both sides) and swap them, re-weld. This gives you ample space to fill the tank. Let me see if i can find some pics.

edit : here you go. the full thread by a$$hole link
but when i did mine, i left the rack on the bike and took extra care while cutting the brackets off as well as removing the battery / ECU connection while getting the welding done.

Vicks screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 10:09 PM
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Mark.Tate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepInIt View Post
Assuming,yours came with the large Acerbis cap like mine, yes there is a flatter replacement Acerbis cap that will give you a little extra room. I also broke off the tube nipple , drilled out the hole a little and inserted a tire valve. Screw on a tire valve cap with a tiny hole in the side and you have a vented cap that wont spill gas when your bike decides to take a nap. This is flush with the top of the cap which is better than having the tube sticking up.
Hi DeepInIt, Could you post piccies of the Flatter cap and the modifications please? (A part number or link would be FAB)
Mark.Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

no one has a P#?