User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Bloviator OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Vexing starting problems with Tiger 800

I ride a 2011 Tiger 800. About 9000 miles on it. A few weeks ago the bike started to have trouble starting - the only way I could start it and then keep it running is to give it extra throttle. If I don't it stalls out. It seems that when I first start it at the beginning of a ride it is ok but if I make a stop and then want to restart it will give me trouble. The dealership has replaced all the ignition stick coils and spark plugs and it does run better now but not completely trouble free. Yesterday, for example, I had the bike parked on a slight uphill and it wouldn't start. I rolled the bike into a more level position and then it immediately started.
Can anybody give me some advice on what is going on? I am really perplexed.

Many thanks!

Chris
Bloviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Have you cleaned and lubed the stepper motor shaft and roller?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
mine did the same last week, fixed itself by switching off , waiting and switched back on. Will get to the fix soon.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
There

Is a whole discussion about this farther down this site.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,529
Stepper motor can get dry &/or dirty causing exactly what you described. The only thing influencing it to work or not work is the fax machine sound 30 seconds after you turn it off. If your not able to start it, then turn the key off for 30 seconds. After the fax sound, then try again. If it eventually starts & idles, then it should work fine until you turn the key off again.
The fix is to clean & lube the stepper motor & throttle roller. To get home, you can squirt some lube on the area. It's on the brake side between the gas tank & the motor.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
Bloviator OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Stepper motor can get dry &/or dirty causing exactly what you described. The only thing influencing it to work or not work is the fax machine sound 30 seconds after you turn it off. If your not able to start it, then turn the key off for 30 seconds. After the fax sound, then try again. If it eventually starts & idles, then it should work fine until you turn the key off again.
The fix is to clean & lube the stepper motor & throttle roller. To get home, you can squirt some lube on the area. It's on the brake side between the gas tank & the motor.

Thank you - this was very helpful. I tried what you suggested and that works. I will pass your suggestion on to the dealership when I bring the bike in for repair.

Much appreciated!

Chris
Bloviator is offline   Reply With Quote