ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 900
Turbulence and head shake?

Just came back from a road trip to the motogp at indianapolis and back this weekend - first really long road (interstate slab) trip on my 2012R. Anyhow, the bike performed brilliantly as expected except for...

Head shake during times of turbulence (like when passing trucks, etc.). Granted, there were windy times throughout the ride and my stock windshield was annoying me (I'm 6'3" and ended up removing the peak visor on my XD4 to reduce the eye-scrambling shake). This head shake wasn't very violent and never happened at any other times, just bothered me when it was happening - kind of unsettling and confidence crushing, etc...Never happened in "clean air". We averaged speeds between 75 - 85 mph, I was using my Jesse cases with no tail bag and they were in the fairly forward position to avoid weighing down the rear end, my 19/17 wheels with Conti Trail Attack IIs (checked pressures - all good at 34 up front, 36 in the rear) and the stock windshield. I raised the preload in the rear to compensate for the added weight of the cases and luggage but nothing altered up front. I'm fairly sure this shake hasn't happened before so I'm wondering if the panniers (either weight or aerodynamics) are causing this.

Also, I know the following subject has been discussed to death but what are tall people doing to reduce buffeting / wind on their adventures for long trips? I've seen ktm touring windshields (have one, hate it - I think it's rubbish), some really ugly big, huge tall screens and cut-down or short screens either with or without "curved lips". Any pics / info?

Thanks in advance
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV
KTM 530 EXC-R
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
travelsomewhere
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: TULSA, OK
Oddometer: 118
there are a million opinions on this but my solution was actually a moose shorty windscreen, the stock one will snap your neck. on long trips i have a large aeroflow that i put on top of the moose and remove it when i hit dirt. I wear the same helmet and yes removing it helps, but trust me the moose was the best 50 bucks i spent on that bike.
travelsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut
 
Kyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 51st State - Western MD
Oddometer: 2,584
Aero-flow windscreen. I'm 6'5" and this is the shitz. I never take it off. I'm about to head off to Goose Bay this weekend for a 14-day, 5,000 mile ride and wouldn't dream of doing it without it. Yes, it is tall and somewhat fugly. But I'm more interested in a screen that works than eye appeal.

__________________
Ken => I'm a DAMN Rider (No rules, just ride!)
Happiness is a 3-wheel drift!
Member of the Maryland OHV Alliance
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 900
Oh man, but the look of that... :)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyler View Post
Aero-flow windscreen. I'm 6'5" and this is the shitz. I never take it off. I'm about to head off to Goose Bay this weekend for a 14-day, 5,000 mile ride and wouldn't dream of doing it without it. Yes, it is tall and somewhat fugly. But I'm more interested in a screen that works than eye appeal.

__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV
KTM 530 EXC-R
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
syzygy9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 295
Kyler, I assume you have the tallest one? I am also considering an Aeroflow but at 5'10 am torn between the short 4" above stock (standard) and the medium 6" above stock.
__________________
__________________________
bikeless no longer! welcome home, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure!
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut
 
Kyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 51st State - Western MD
Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Kyler, I assume you have the tallest one? I am also considering an Aeroflow but at 5'10 am torn between the short 4" above stock (standard) and the medium 6" above stock.
I helped with the prototyping and started with the tallest but ended up cutting it down to the mid-size.

see this thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723517 which has links to more threads on this screen.
__________________
Ken => I'm a DAMN Rider (No rules, just ride!)
Happiness is a 3-wheel drift!
Member of the Maryland OHV Alliance
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut
 
Kyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 51st State - Western MD
Oddometer: 2,584
this shows the wind pattern (and this is the tall screen before I cut it down).

__________________
Ken => I'm a DAMN Rider (No rules, just ride!)
Happiness is a 3-wheel drift!
Member of the Maryland OHV Alliance
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
syzygy9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 295
Thanks Kyler, so at 6'5" you find the medium height works for you. By extension that would imply that at 5'10" the standard (low/4") version would work for me. Note that I sit on a sheepskin which raises me an inch or so.

I have a strong preference for the lowest screen as I do a lot of dirt road riding and don't want to impede my forward view, but I was thinking I could also get a medium screen (6") and drill some lower mount holes to mount the screen lower when I need to. I figure I could drop the screen a couple of inches by doing this, lowering this screen to the equivalent height of a standard (low) screen.

But I would also like to be able to lower the low screen, so for the really gnarly slow speed stuff, I could drop the standard low screen a couple of inches to 2" above stock giving a better forward view when needed.

Aaaagghhh decisions?!

Given your experience with these screens do you think a low screen would work well enough for my height? I am not looking for a completely quiet and serene environment, just reduce the amount of turbulent air shaking my head around. Your viewpoint would be greatly appreciated!
__________________
__________________________
bikeless no longer! welcome home, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure!

syzygy9 screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 06:50 PM
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mjskier's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 434
I had head shake in turbulence on my SMT. (new bike, first time riding on the road for 15+ years)
I thought it was something with the bike until I realized that I was hanging to the bar too tightly. It was actually me inducing a front end wobble. Maybe worth trying to relax to see if you don't have the same problem?
mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter
 
PvtIdaho's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Guam
Oddometer: 2,030
For your head shake issue, I've had a similar issue. In a tire thread from '08 I said
Quote:
Any external input at 80 or above gets the bars oscillating. The higher the speed, the greater the magnitude of the oscillation. Wind gusts, truck wakes, and rough pavement all do it.
Is that similar to what you experienced? In my case it was with out panniers. I was running a 908 in the back and a 606 up front. That combo is the only time I've had it.
It seems like most of the head shake threads fall into 3 categories: Decel wobble, Scorpions at 40-50 mph, and high speed shake. But none of those usually involve a 19/17 no knobby set up.

Ever had any issues with out the panniers or running 21/18?

You could start some test rides where you vary the rear preload and see if it makes any difference.

For the helmet buffet issue, besides the taller or shorter windscreen options a taller seat can help. I'm your height with a longer than average torso and I still run the stock screen but have a tall seat (Renazco). It helps but doesn't totally eliminate the buffet. I wear an XD, too, but not on long freeway rides (anymore ).
__________________
"Ain't nobody ever got the "Go" code yet." -- Major Kong
PvtIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 900
I haven't run the 21/18 with panniers so I don't know if it would happen. I am going to do a run next week (two days, more highway runs) with no panniers, just a Kriega pack or two out back on top and see if anything changes. In clean air (no truck passing, etc), I get no wobble at all regardless of speed whether constant, accelerating or decel...only seems to occur when I'm approaching a truck or other moving object creating turbulent air. I love the shading of the peak of the XD4 but if I'm removing it to avoid eyeball shake, I might as well use my Arai Corsair or AGV GP Tech for highway riding and relegate the XD4 to dual sporting. I also have a Renazco but oddly enough, I found it oddly painful in my middle back - it feels like my Renazco makes me sit just slightly further back than my 990R seat and I'm ever-so slightly "reaching" for my bars; I think it's changing my posture and making me slouch a bit because I found the middle of my back muscles aching. I've actually had very good results riding distances on my R seat with an Airhawk for a bit of Cush and heat isolation so maybe I'll just sell my Renazco. Given my height, I should also consider a set of risers - stock height is a bit awkward when standing up.

Going back to the head shake, do you think that a "street" steering damper would help? I wonder if the effective reduced trail from the 19 up front exacerbates any inherent shaking from turbulence.




Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtIdaho View Post
For your head shake issue, I've had a similar issue. In a tire thread from '08 I said Is that similar to what you experienced? In my case it was with out panniers. I was running a 908 in the back and a 606 up front. That combo is the only time I've had it.
It seems like most of the head shake threads fall into 3 categories: Decel wobble, Scorpions at 40-50 mph, and high speed shake. But none of those usually involve a 19/17 no knobby set up.

Ever had any issues with out the panniers or running 21/18?

You could start some test rides where you vary the rear preload and see if it makes any difference.

For the helmet buffet issue, besides the taller or shorter windscreen options a taller seat can help. I'm your height with a longer than average torso and I still run the stock screen but have a tall seat (Renazco). It helps but doesn't totally eliminate the buffet. I wear an XD, too, but not on long freeway rides (anymore ).
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV
KTM 530 EXC-R
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut
 
Kyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 51st State - Western MD
Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Given your experience with these screens do you think a low screen would work well enough for my height? I am not looking for a completely quiet and serene environment, just reduce the amount of turbulent air shaking my head around. Your viewpoint would be greatly appreciated!
Buy the medium and if you don't like it then cut it down. That is easy to do.

On the head shake issue, I used to get it at about 90 MPH. I always thought it was caused by the screen and panniers. As the second owner, I was unaware the PO installed a lighter rear shock spring. After reinstalling the original spring and servicing the front forks, the head shake went away. I also have a Scotts damper.
__________________
Ken => I'm a DAMN Rider (No rules, just ride!)
Happiness is a 3-wheel drift!
Member of the Maryland OHV Alliance
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Québec
Oddometer: 309
Steering damper isn't meant to fix problems.

Yes it help relax on long loaded run but if your bike isn't setup properly snd handle weirdly, damper is just a plaster.

Have you set your suspension correctly? Sag and all ?

Funny two discussion are going on here, steering head shake and thinking head shake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I haven't run the 21/18 with panniers so I don't know if it would happen. I am going to do a run next week (two days, more highway runs) with no panniers, just a Kriega pack or two out back on top and see if anything changes. In clean air (no truck passing, etc), I get no wobble at all regardless of speed whether constant, accelerating or decel...only seems to occur when I'm approaching a truck or other moving object creating turbulent air. I love the shading of the peak of the XD4 but if I'm removing it to avoid eyeball shake, I might as well use my Arai Corsair or AGV GP Tech for highway riding and relegate the XD4 to dual sporting. I also have a Renazco but oddly enough, I found it oddly painful in my middle back - it feels like my Renazco makes me sit just slightly further back than my 990R seat and I'm ever-so slightly "reaching" for my bars; I think it's changing my posture and making me slouch a bit because I found the middle of my back muscles aching. I've actually had very good results riding distances on my R seat with an Airhawk for a bit of Cush and heat isolation so maybe I'll just sell my Renazco. Given my height, I should also consider a set of risers - stock height is a bit awkward when standing up.

Going back to the head shake, do you think that a "street" steering damper would help? I wonder if the effective reduced trail from the 19 up front exacerbates any inherent shaking from turbulence.
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #14
GJ990
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GJ990's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenDesb View Post
Steering damper isn't meant to fix problems.

Yes it help relax on long loaded run but if your bike isn't setup properly snd handle weirdly, damper is just a plaster.
I'm not sure I agree with you here. Yes it's a plaster (band aid for us in the US), but that's the reason I want one. I happen to like the 908RR tires. They cause head shake. Nothing I can do about it. So the damper helps with that. Perfectly fine solution I would think, no?
__________________
990 Baja
GJ990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut
 
Kyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 51st State - Western MD
Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ990 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with you here. Yes it's a plaster (band aid for us in the US), but that's the reason I want one. I happen to like the 908RR tires. They cause head shake. Nothing I can do about it. So the damper helps with that. Perfectly fine solution I would think, no?
I put a damper on anything with 3-wheels or less if there is one wheel out front. IMHO, head shake will occur and always at the worst possible time. I consider a damper to be simple insurance. I have one on my 950, my 450, my road-racing sidecar and on my MX sidecar. The only bike I have without one is my trials sidecar.
__________________
Ken => I'm a DAMN Rider (No rules, just ride!)
Happiness is a 3-wheel drift!
Member of the Maryland OHV Alliance

Kyler screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 07:15 AM
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014