ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I get that it's business, and it's a dying business where their mainstream product is now a cheap commodity that is being largely replaced by cell phones. I get that they have to gouge any small remaining specialized markets in order to try and survive rather than become irrelevant, but I don't have to feel good about it.

I used to rave about Garmin, and lord knows they had plenty of my $$$ over the last decade or so, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
LOL

Actually, I believe Garmin's main business has little to do with what you and I see, or consider buying -- aviation, marine . . .

Phones won't replace purpose built GPS boxes (for me and many others) til the entire country is covered with decent signals . . . and that ain't happenin any time soon.

But, you seem to have spun up a nice lil fit, so I'll leave you to it. Enjoy.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
twowheelpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
definitely underwhelming
twowheelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,462
Thumbs down

I think they missed the marketing mark.
Sell 200 at $400 instead of 20 at $700.... the engineering cost is spent...cash in,,,

I am hoping they are listening to the Advrider market.

And yes they are focusing in the aviation and boating market - I have been to the store in Chicago! WOW this stuff is cool!!!!

New cell phones have GPS built in ...towers are not needed for offline apps that are appearing by the day...

Google was working on an offfline (no tower) GPS application...

My last trip to Colorado my partner use his Ipad mini for GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
LOL

Phones won't replace purpose built GPS boxes (for me and many others) til the entire country is covered with decent signals . . . and that ain't happenin any time soon.

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 03:32 PM
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Thumbs down

Yep That's what ills me. I have bought almost 10 units by now and I am just about at the point to spring for a good motorcycle unit... but the price point is just ridiculous! and the value is not there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I get that it's business, and it's a dying business where their mainstream product is now a cheap commodity that is being largely replaced by cell phones. I get that they have to gouge any small remaining specialized markets in order to try and survive rather than become irrelevant, but I don't have to feel good about it.

I used to rave about Garmin, and lord knows they had plenty of my $$$ over the last decade or so, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
Core10metal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I'm on my second Montana and the one I have freezes when I need it most. I have earplugs in the battery compartment to keep it from shutting off. The touch screen is antiquated, the search function is dreadful, the pan function is laughable.
Once I'm able to create a custom map on Google maps and be able to use touch screen with gloves, goodbye dedicated gps.
Core10metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
Rebgen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
After reading this thread I just keep hoping my trusty 2370 StreetPilot stays healthy....seven years and counting.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #22
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
You guys could go back to paper maps . No one is holding a gun to your head to buy this unit . If I was selling a piece of property and some one came up to me with this kind of argument , I would tell you what you could do with your mother' s behind .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Yep That's what ills me. I have bought almost 10 units by now and I am just about at the point to spring for a good motorcycle unit... but the price point is just ridiculous! and the value is not there...
That is how I feel about BMW's. I see you don't mind paying for those. Everyone has their own ideas on how to spend their money.

I like my $200.00 Garmin Oregon 450.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
I'm very happy with my 60csx whichnive had for the last 8 yrs and hasn't had issues since. Not sure how some of you go thru' units and models so often. And I'm not the slightest bit tempted with newer models and fancy function, which I would hardly ever use.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
My last trip to Colorado my partner use his Ipad mini for GPS.
While my 60CSX has been stellar, I think Garmin is going to be another DEC or Kodak if they don't start making their products less confusing, easier to use, and priced more competitively. They've made their map database distribution system so byzantine, its a wonder anybody figures it out.

The key things to make an iPad work in this application are caching (so you don't have to constantly be in phone range) and solving the touchscreen UI problems while wearing gloves. Has anyone had recent experience with either of these issues?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #26
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
I have had very good luck with a Zumo 550. If it had weather radar it would be perfect for my needs. Now I have to stop, pull out my phone and get radar off it.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #27
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
I have my cheap Nuvi 40LM. I got it from the outlet at Garmin. No one steals a cheap unit.
I left my car unlocked a few weeks ago and someone went through it and took the c.2006 $100 tomtom GPS I had in the glovebox. I hadnt used the thing in years. People will steal anything.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #28
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Silly me bought a used Montana... What was I thinking.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #29
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Laugh

yep... I agree...
I am using Topo Map books, a 60csx and a Iphone5 with the Garmin App , Apple map, and PathAway.

Gloves and GPS....
I have an old Nuvi 225 that works fine with gloves.

ordering some of these below to try...

http://www.amazon.com/Capacitive-Sti.../dp/B00A1VGQS8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
While my 60CSX has been stellar, I think Garmin is going to be another DEC or Kodak if they don't start making their products less confusing, easier to use, and priced more competitively. They've made their map database distribution system so byzantine, its a wonder anybody figures it out.

The key things to make an iPad work in this application are caching (so you don't have to constantly be in phone range) and solving the touchscreen UI problems while wearing gloves. Has anyone had recent experience with either of these issues?

- Mark

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 06:54 PM Reason: az
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #30
Titan1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Laugh Lol

Iphone5 with a Xgrip from ram mounts. Backup is a compass and map. So far so good but ill admit I'm USA riding so pretty hard to get real lost. $700 and some one will buy it to sit at a bike gathering and justify why they bought it, while the rest of us are out riding without it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6T2U12wmI
Titan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote