ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #31
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
ordering some of these below to try...

Post how they work out. The problem I've heard with stick-ons like this is that they have a very short useful life and don't have very good touch accuracy. I'd be satisfied if I simply was able to zoom and scroll. There are a few touchscreen capable gloves now being made, but then tend to be pricey and short on protection.

There are just such great, low-cost mapping apps available on the iPad.... I'd love to start using them on a bike.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #32
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I must have missed it, what makes it special?

My free google maps app for my iPhone has been getting me where I need to go so far. Instructions are heard clearly through my Sena..

A certain niche they must fill...
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #33
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
My free google maps app for my iPhone has been getting me where I need to go so far. Instructions are heard clearly through my Sena..
You need to buy an actual app that includes the maps right on the device to be able to get routing info when you don't have cell coverage.

This is still only 10% or less of the price of a Garmin GPS.

But it adds up quite a bit:

- App with Maps e.g. from Garmin ($60)
- Strong case for a phone ($80)
- Handlebar Mount ($40)
- whatever you need for power supply (~ $30)

That alone is about $210. You need to have a phone, but okay, a lot of people carry a smartphone anyways, so lets put that aside.

Now you still have a device that is hard (or impossible) to use with gloves, is likely harder to read in direct sunlight, will get REALLY warm when using the GPS feature while on power (that's definitely true for iPhones, they use a lot of power for mapping features), it might shut off when you are in a hot climate or if it gets any direct sunlight.

There is a lot to be said for a dedicated GPS. No, it shouldn't be as expensive as the Garmin Motorcycle units are, but that's what you get when a company basically has a monopoly on the GPS market.

I used my Garmin GPSMaps 60CSx for the last three years and it worked great. I bought it for $199 new on sale when the 62 series came out, added a RAM mount and power supply, all together for about $250 but then I had to buy Garmin Maps for another $90 or so.

My next bike will have a GPS mount and I will buy a GPS for that mount. I will also mount my GPSMap 60CSx for tracking, I will likely have a place for my iPhone (even if it is just in the tank bag, I can use Siri for quick guidance or a phone call through my Sena), and I will add this for pre-planned routes:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...der-RB-Compact

Much more low tech and for me personally much more fun. But I like the GPS for convenience when I have to navigate a city or quickly ride to a place where I haven't been before. I use the bike for general transport as well as for recreation. For general transport a GPS is very nice to have. For fun rides, I use it much less other than when getting close to the destination to get to the camp ground or hotel.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #34
aGremlin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Haha, I paid less than that in NZ$ for my Zumo 660. Paid NZ$666 locally, and including a micro SD card. Main reason I upgraded.

I've had a 550, done 100,000km, still somewhere with a new screen setup I need to install (thanks to someone's handy thread on here). The 660 was too good a price to pass up, so I bought that.

I'll continue using the Garmin Zumos, they're wired or wireless into comms systems, play music, handle phones and provide directions. Handy and do what I need, handle off road rugged riding, thunderstorms etc. However, they can keep their maps, useless and not updated regularly enough in NZ, thank goodness for open source maps where I can feed data back to the mappers

It's actually an excellent reason to head out for a ride - check map accuracy as far from civilisation as possible!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #35
57Stroker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Maybe it's Garmin's way of telling poor people to get lost! (It was just to easy!)
57Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #36
Core10metal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
As I complain about garmin's lack of innovation, they just announced a gps/wifi hd camera that competes with gopro.

http://gizmodo.com/garmins-virb-acti...ice-1170890425
Core10metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #37
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I have had very good luck with a Zumo 550. If it had weather radar it would be perfect for my needs. Now I have to stop, pull out my phone and get radar off it.
It does.... It will even "Detour" around bad weather and traffic...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...0/prod414.html

Quote:
Add Traffic, Weather and Radio

With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna, you can check the weather, move ahead of traffic and listen to the radio when you travel with zūmo in the U.S. As an alternative, zūmo can receive optional TMC traffic alerts (in select cities) when used with a compatible traffic receiver. Simply press a button on the screen, and zūmo recalculates your route to avoid traffic tie-ups.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #38
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by aGremlin View Post
Haha, I paid less than that in NZ$ for my Zumo 660. Paid NZ$666 locally, and including a micro SD card. Main reason I upgraded.
The 660s are cheaper then the 350's here as well. Kinda stupid considering the 660 has a lot more features and will do something like 250 via points in a route.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #39
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,558
I will be first to agree that Zumo is expensive, technologically obsolete, has outdated maps and annoying software bugs.
It wouldn't be my choice for navigation from A to B, however most of the times I ride complex routes designed on a computer and Zumo is still the best solution for this. I do have a smartphone mounted on the bike along with touchscreen compatible gloves. It complements Zumo, but not replaces it.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #40
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
When the target market is small, you just gouge it for the absolute maximum profit per unit that the market will bear. ...
I am afraid that you are missing your own point. When the target market is small, the manufacturer must recoup its costs and make a profit over a small number of units. When you sell a gabazillion-and-a-half of smartphones, the engineering cost gets down to nil and you can basically sell them for close to material cost. That is not the case for small production runs.

I am involved in the electronics biz and the niche specialty gear that I work on sells for many thousands of dollars - for a hardware equivalent of a $100 consumer item - because of the very low production volume.
For the Zumo, I'd guess that the cost to bring it to the market is in mid-six-digit figure. Agency approvals alone (like the little CE mark that allows it to be sold in the EU) cost easily hundreds of thousands of dollars.

So, no, it's not gouging, it pure economics. Nobody forces us to spend the money. I thought everyone believed in the free market - apparently only as long as it is in one's advantage.

Regards, Robert.

(A happy user of the V, SP III, SP2620, SP2730, SP2820 in the past; still with the Zumo 550 on my motos and a Quest on bicycles, plus a slew of Nuvi's in my cars.)

rdwalker screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 04:39 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I will be first to agree that Zumo is expensive, technologically obsolete, has outdated maps and annoying software bugs.
It wouldn't be my choice for navigation from A to B, however most of the times I ride complex routes designed on a computer and Zumo is still the best solution for this. I do have a smartphone mounted on the bike along with touchscreen compatible gloves. It complements Zumo, but not replaces it.
So, then, it's still the best for motorcycling, no?

(BTW, Hi There! Still did not get a chance to get in touch - will try this fall.)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #42
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,558
After TomTom checked out, Garmin is the only game in town for motorcycle specific navigation, so they are the best and the worst at the same time.

(I'm not sure about this fall- just back from the longest ride of my life, probably will be grounded with the family for the rest of the year)

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #43
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
...- just back from the longest ride of my life, probably will be grounded with the family for the rest of the year
Ahhh! Nice ride - I did look it up.
Since this is a GPS topic, let's hijack the thread only slightly: how were you geo-tagging your pictures?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #44
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
I am afraid that you are missing your own point. When the target market is small, the manufacturer must recoup its costs and make a profit over a small number of units. When you sell a gabazillion-and-a-half of smartphones, the engineering cost gets down to nil and you can basically sell them for close to material cost. That is not the case for small production runs.

I am involved in the electronics biz and the niche specialty gear that I work on sells for many thousands of dollars - for a hardware equivalent of a $100 consumer item - because of the very low production volume.
For the Zumo, I'd guess that the cost to bring it to the market is in mid-six-digit figure. Agency approvals alone (like the little CE mark that allows it to be sold in the EU) cost easily hundreds of thousands of dollars.

So, no, it's not gouging, it pure economics. Nobody forces us to spend the money. I thought everyone believed in the free market - apparently only as long as it is in one's advantage.

Regards, Robert.
you would be right if that was all gamin sell- MC GPS. But this is not the case- They sell car GPS - Zumo 660 is basically the same as any NUVI GPS which sells from less than $100.

Only thing they added is Water proof -ability - how much does a couple seals and a waterproof speaker cost!

The other additional functions are mostly software based with no additional hardware necessary..

Oh i suppose they add a bluetooth chip so it can communicate to your helmet.

The additional manufacturing cost will be less than $50 at the most. If they want only $100 to $150 above the car equivalent, that would be fair enough. For a long time Zumo 660 commands a $300 to $500 or more premium over its car equivalent depends which part of the world you are
buy it from

CE test do not cost hundred of thousands.....
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #45
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
Ahhh! Nice ride - I did look it up.
Since this is a GPS topic, let's hijack the thread only slightly: how were you geo-tagging your pictures?
Since I'm a bit of a photog nerd I have Lightroom 5 and it has the feature to be able to load your GPS track log and tag the photo's using the time stamp.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote