ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #91
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I just found out that TomTom has reentered the motorcycle market. So there is a less expensive alternative:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&tag=gt1net-20
Still WAY too expensive.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #92
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
But for all that work, you don't have any way to get the voice prompts out of the Aquabox - the 50LM is speaker only, with no bluetooth or headphone jack. Even more so that in a car, I think voice guidance is a necessity for safety reasons.
I even disable the voice commands when I use the GPS in my truck.

If I'm travelling through a dense city, I usually get an idea on where I have to go so I don't have to completely depend on the GPS. Even the voice command is enough to distract me. With the RAM arm, the GPS is in sight so I don't have to glimpse from too far away.

I don't see the problem if I'm touring the countryside. I'm sure I can remember "left turn in 20 miles" from reading the HUD.

To each their own.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #93
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Still WAY too expensive.
so what would YOU consider to be a reasonable price for what feature set, Mercury?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #94
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
so what would YOU consider to be a reasonable price for what feature set, Mercury?
All I personally want or need is a simple GPS unit. I don't care too much about all the bells and whistles - basic routing, voice commands (but I can live without that), a decent set of POI and I can even live with a B&W screen if I need to. What I'd also like is a DECENT way to compose routes on a PC and/or import GPX (and the GPS NOT fuck the route up).

Really, nothing special - essentially everything my phone does for free (outside importing routes). For something like that, I'd pay the $150 I paid for my Nuvi.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #95
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeneRay View Post
Garmin car unit: Bought a 50LM for $80 at a Black Friday sale.
Ram Aquabox, Large: $50
Ram 50LM cradle: $15
Ram motorcycle mount: $30
Garmin hardwire power adapter: $10

You essentially have a waterproof motorcycle navigation system for less than $200. Since the Garmin can detect power when it's on and and off through the power cable, hard wire the adapter into a switched wire. You won't have a need to physically turn the unit on and off, it will do it automatically.
I had a system like this for 2.5 years before using the Zumo 660 system. It depends your requirement for the system.

Voice prompts are not that necessary if,

a) you dont travel in densely populated area or areas with a lot of turns when it requires your full concentration and turns come up frequent and rapid;

b) Your need to use of GPS is infrequent - how often do you actually need that GPS on your adventure into the unknown.

In my case, i was happy using the GPS in a aqua box system for my 5-6 big trips a year. I then decide i will use my bike to travel to meeting with my clients on a frequent basis - they all live in suburban streets and i travel among dense traffic - the need for me to hear voice prompts caused me to bite the bullet and be robbed by Garmin .

Horses for courses essentially.
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #96
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,732
i'm looking for a simple gps that shows my location on a topo map, i dont care about anything else, not even putting in a route to follow.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #97
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 442
Random thoughts.

For all of you that think the Garmin is too expensive, calculate what it would take to make it, market it, keep the maps current, provide tech support and sell enough of them to turn a profit.

I could make my own GPS, but there is no way I could sell it for $700.

Also, the last time I checked, a smart phone (I don't have one) costs more than $700 a year to own. Every year. The GPS is once and done
Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #98
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
But for all that work, you don't have any way to get the voice prompts out of the Aquabox - the 50LM is speaker only, with no bluetooth or headphone jack. Even more so that in a car, I think voice guidance is a necessity for safety reasons.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't want all of that. I have the Zumo 450 (No BT), it's not hooked up to anything. It give me my route silently and lets me import my routes created in Basecamp. That's all I ask of a GPS. Nothing more. That's not worth $700.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #99
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
reliability

How about reliability be a paramount concern and designed into the unit.

So far I've killed 3 60 CSX's. Supposedly the most reliable unit in the company's inventory yet I've had circuit boards pulled apart while i was deep in the Laos jungle and had no idea where I was once it but the dust. Could not get a proper bearing where I was located (the remote village names are not on any maps and when asked how far to the nearest big city was told a five day walk along a track they doubted the KTM 525 would be able to navigate. Not at all pleased. Then had another 60 CSX take on water in a creek crossing and die. This time in the Cardamom mountains of Cambodia. I didn't have Torks wrenches small enough to disassemble the Garmin. Luckily a buddy did and i ws able to spend a day drying it out (instead of riding), goop it with silicone and continue the following day.

Most of my riding is offroading so they definitely get pounded but no more than anyone elses GPS. Are the Mil Spec standards not high enough to be reliable enough for offroading? 3 60CSX's dead as a doornail and twice in real remote locations does not fill me with confidence.

Don't even get me started on the 650 Montana. A lovely display but between myself and friends we have killed 7 of the touchscreens and only one due to a hard knock from a foreign object. The other 6 threw in the towel from being bolted onto the handle bars with the rugged mount/Ram and not being able to cope.

Really disappointed with Garmin reliability at this point but have very little options to choose.

I want reliability which so far the touchscreens fail to deliver, so how about a display the size of the Montana with buttons instead of touchscreen and bolted together more reliably than the 60 CSX. Is that asking too much?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

Flood screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 08:05 AM Reason: malware removed.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #100
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't want all of that. I have the Zumo 450 (No BT), it's not hooked up to anything. It give me my route silently and lets me import my routes created in Basecamp. That's all I ask of a GPS. Nothing more. That's not worth $700.
Amen.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #101
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
When the target market is small, you just gouge it for the absolute maximum profit per unit that the market will bear. That seems to be Garmin's philosophy and I can see no other legitimate reason for a $500 premium over the equivalent Automotive unit. $50 maybe, perhaps a $100 for waterproofing and vibration resistance, but this is just pure greed.
Not defending Garmin, but when the market is small the economies of scale are not going to help the price. Add to that extra development and building costs and the price makes sense.

That said I use a $100 cheapie in a waterproof case.

$15 mount and case.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #102
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalDeFer View Post

Also, the last time I checked, a smart phone (I don't have one) costs more than $700 a year to own. Every year. The GPS is once and done
Irrelevant. Most people are going to own the smart phone anyway. I own stand alone GPS's and I still have a smart phone.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #103
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Irrelevant. Most people are going to own the smart phone anyway. I own stand alone GPS's and I still have a smart phone.
Yup...Something like an iPod Touch is a better comparison (but still not perfect). What are they ? 200 bucks or so AND they do much more than one thing.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #104
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
How about reliability be a paramount concern and designed into the unit.

So far I've killed 3 60 CSX's. Supposedly the most reliable unit in the company's inventory yet I've had circuit boards pulled apart while i was deep in the Laos jungle and had no idea where I was once it but the dust. Could not get a proper bearing where I was located (the remote village names are not on any maps and when asked how far to the nearest big city was told a five day walk along a track they doubted the KTM 525 would be able to navigate. Not at all pleased. Then had another 60 CSX take on water in a creek crossing and die. This time in the Cardamom mountains of Cambodia. I didn't have Torks wrenches small enough to disassemble the Garmin. Luckily a buddy did and i ws able to spend a day drying it out (instead of riding), goop it with silicone and continue the following day.

Most of my riding is offroading so they definitely get pounded but no more than anyone elses GPS. Are the Mil Spec standards not high enough to be reliable enough for offroading? 3 60CSX's dead as a doornail and twice in real remote locations does not fill me with confidence.

Don't even get me started on the 650 Montana. A lovely display but between myself and friends we have killed 7 of the touchscreens and only one due to a hard knock from a foreign object. The other 6 threw in the towel from being bolted onto the handle bars with the rugged mount/Ram and not being able to cope.

Really disappointed with Garmin reliability at this point but have very little options to choose.

I want reliability which so far the touchscreens fail to deliver, so how about a display the size of the Montana with buttons instead of touchscreen and bolted together more reliably than the 60 CSX. Is that asking too much?

The Garmin 60 CSX is NOT a mil-spec unit. It's simply IPX7 rated water proof. Garmin makes no claims anywhere that the unit is Mil-spec.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #105
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Yup...Something like an iPod Touch is a better comparison (but still not perfect). What are they ? 200 bucks or so AND they do much more than one thing.
Can you bolt your iPod touch to your handlbars and ride cross country in all weather? How much does one cost with no contract?