Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Gerst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Need Sipapu/angle fire tracks

Just found out I have the next few days off thinking of a northern NM trip. Just looking for some single track. Any tracks appreciated as is camping tips, if I can camp fish and ride from one spot ill be happy!

Thanks,
Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
taos_36
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
there is plenty to ride around the sipapu area. I don't have any gps info, but I can tell you about all the trails.

first off, camp and fish: comales campground on 518 is great! the river runs right by it, and there are some sweet campsites down by the river.

Riding: trails illustrated makes a pretty good map of the area. Some riding ideas for you are;

trails 182,492,8 are mostly single track, moderate terrain with some great rooty/rocky sections.

trails 4,5,20,22 are single track and rocky/rooty difficult sections.

you can access 182 from forest road 703 (amole canyon) off of hwy 518. there is a great 30 mile loop from the starting point of 182. trail 182-short section of 5---trail 492, Left on hwy 518 for one mile, left on fr76---two miles, left on trail 8----back to trail 182 to your starting point.
taos_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Gerst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Thanks taos!!!
I just got back. Had a great trip thanks to your tips. Camped at Comales site 6 it was clean, quiet and convenient. Rode your 182. 492, 8 loop but added 13 and 5, nice ride. Ran into another rider on 13 so I got some route finding help, we both missed the turn on 13 before the meadow it's signed and everything. He knew 8 which was nice as there's a few intersections not shown on the map I had. He called it a day and I went up and down 4, some nice big rocks there

Day 2. I started up 22 but soon decided it was more than I wanted to attempt alone. Found 20, 22, 9a loop. I don't remember ever going down but it sure goes up and up and up....

Spiapu had a music festival Sat night so I stopped in ate, drank and enjoyed the evening.

Thanks for the suggestions, it made the trip

If you need any southern CO info let me know

Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote