User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
amknightrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
another deer vs bmw story

I rarely post on this site but read it like the daily paper. This said I would add my deer strike on aug 9 to the stats. Have ridden bikes since 1962 and Lord knows how many miles without any serious mishaps. But on the Trace in Mississippi this fateful day my luck ran out. This is all you can say when hit by a deer that is programmed like a cruise missile. In the split second I saw him and tried to brake and countersteer to his rump which I thought would allow him to clear he turned and hit me head on. Airlifted to trama center and 4 days later rendered me at home recouperating from 5 broke ribs, broken sternum,and road rash. I will say that my wearing the hot and uncool looking riding gear was a blessing as in all crash casses. I do not think riders can over stress to others the value of good riding gear. Argue as you may about your rights or my rights the fact still is that the gear will continue to protect and allow you to enjoy riding. my two cents of wisdom after riding many years, and yes I rebel against the system at times. But wear your gear and ride say. Alan
amknightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Hope you are getting better

I hope you are getting better. What gear were you wearing, what time of day, and how fast were you cruising?
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
My worst enemy... I've hit three on my motorcycle(s), four more while driving cars. Invited bow hunters on my property for the second season - they took 5 last year. It's season now.... saw about 8 within 10 yds of the road Tues... including a couple dead that had already been hit.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 846
Rest and get well. I'm in the same boat. Hit one last weekend. Broken ribs, collar bone, shoulder blade. Cruise missile is right. They hit hard and fast.

It's not hitting the deer that hurts, it's the hitting the road part of it.
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
...it's the hitting the road part of it.
Consider a Hit-Air brand airbag coat or vest

Old 08-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post

I have often looked at these before. Their new Motorrad 2 jacket looks very nice. Ironically, If I had been wearing one, I think I'd be a lot less banged up.
I am definitely going to buy one now.
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Once while traveling the Natchez Trace in route to San Antonio I covered the last section from Jackson to Natchez, MS late at night. I've ridden a lot of miles over 40 plus years of motorcycling, but I've never encountered more deer than I did that night. Whenever rounding a corner or topping a small rise in the road I would immediately encounter what looked like the Milky Way on a very clear night with hundreds of deer retinas reflecting my headlights back at me. They were everywhere and totally oblivious to my presence. I had to come to a full stop repeatedly waiting for them to clear the road. I normally try and be off the road by dusk, but had gotten a late start that morning and had a motel reservation in Natchez. In retrospect, it was a dumb decision to not have stopped in Jackson, but I really had no idea what was waiting for me down the road.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
amknightrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Ridding gear used

To answer the reader as to the gear I was wearing I will say this. I was wearing Joe Rocket mesh jacket, Hiking pants, Columbia summer gloves and a HJC cl 16 helmet,which I prefer even over my Aria. Both snell rated which is my personal choice. I will not say any one set of riding gear is better than another. I will simply state that hiking pants,which I ride in mostly in summer, do not fair well in a crash. Wear your gear and accept the fact that things sometime happen we cannot control. Alan
amknightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post

I have had a Hitair Motorad 1 for over a year now. I have had 2 low speed falls and in each case the airbag deployed. My overwhelming recollection of the impact was that I simply could not recall the feeling when I hit the road. The cushioning offered by the airbag was simply that good.

I do like the new Mottorad 2 and am considering an upgrade as it has a higher Denier rating on the material.

The quality of the jacket is extremely high, I ride everyday and the jacket still presents as new.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Voz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
BrainBender
Bounty Hunter

Oddometer: 379
Thumb

Wish they'd start making the Hit-Airs in HiViz.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
wortho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
I have had a Hitair Motorad 1 for over a year now. I have had 2 low speed falls and in each case the airbag deployed. My overwhelming recollection of the impact was that I simply could not recall the feeling when I hit the road. The cushioning offered by the airbag was simply that good.

I do like the new Mottorad 2 and am considering an upgrade as it has a higher Denier rating on the material.

The quality of the jacket is extremely high, I ride everyday and the jacket still presents as new.
Did you but it local or from O/S? Much cheaper in the US but I don't think they can ship with the air cylinder via air freight.
Thanks
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Hitair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wortho View Post
Did you but it local or from O/S? Much cheaper in the US but I don't think they can ship with the air cylinder via air freight.
Thanks
US sellers will ship to Oz. I got about 6 cylinders shipped with my jacket about 18 mths ago. If they have shipping restrictions, get the jacket from the US and buy the cylinders locally.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Voz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Are electronic deer whistles any good, or does it suck them into the front tire?