User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
jaredg21 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
hello to all

Hello everyone I don't even know exactly where to start but My name is jared and I am completely addicted to riding although I am not at the moment. I am almost done with refitting my 40ft sail boat that is my home and that has eaten up my bike budget for the past year. However when I am done then I will be getting a ducati multistrada. It is not a full blown adv bike but I have to be honest with myself and realize that I am not going to be taking a 500 pound 16-20k dollar motorcycle on hard core trails. What i truly want is a 2 up tourer that has the leg room for my 6'6" frame. I rode the multi the other day and WOW I am in love. It truly is the love child of a 1099 and the elephant plenty of leg room and plenty of power. I think I will be taking in on forest service trails from time to time But by and large it will be a road bike. I am trying to figure out a way to put it on the boat so where ever I go I have transportation that i love to explore with. Although if it is not possible due to weight or length I will be getting a 400 or 650 dual purp as well. I have been riding for a long time on a lot of different bikes.
honda cr 80
kawi kx 80
yamaha yz 125
yamaha wr 250
honda cr 500
Kawi super sherpa
suzuki tl1000s
suzuki gsxr 750
suzuki bandit 1200
Ducati monster 900
suzuki hayabusa
suzuki gsxr 1000 turbo
ducati 1098s
yamaha seca II
bmw 1150gs adv
klr 650
yamaha r6
kawasaki vulcan 750
kawi zx 600r (first street bike)
Actually rode the monster cross country want to do it again but this time on a more comfy bike. Take care all ride safe and keep the shiny side up.
Jared

jaredg21 screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 08:52 AM
jaredg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
1derer
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 204
welcome to the asylum! who said working on boats isn't an adventure?
1derer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
jaredg21 OP
Adventurer

thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
A seca II? That brings back memories. I rode a 1st gen Seca back in grade 10.

I wouldn't be putting that fancy Duc MTS bike with it's fancy COPPER electrical parts any where near the ocean. I had my 640 on a sail boat for 8 days, sprayed with 2 cans of WD40 and the swing arm still pitted from the salt.

I understand your desire though. I've thought about it as well. I believe the best bike you could take aboard would be a light air cooled dual purpose. One that you could take apart easily, carry the pieces and stow below deck; well away from ocean spray. It would last a bit longer but still meet a corroded demise.
If you're thinking about going as big as a 650 for in your boat, I'd suggest the DR. Simpler to disassemble, lighter and a bit more comfy than the KLR (for tall people.) In my opinion, it's also a better bike.

I'm 6-5 and don't remember thinking that a MTS was roomy. As you mentioned, you rode a Monster cross country. They're small enough to me that I wouldn't ride it across a large city. Your tolerance is much different than mine. Have you looked at the big KTMs? The ADV or SMT? They're better for taller people. Not sure about the seat being better/worse for 2-up. That could be changed though. The big GS is ok as well, my shins sometimes rub on the intake boots. (Annoying.) I see you had an 1150... How did you like that?
The older Tiger 955's aren't too bad for a large fellow either. Don't remember if the new ones are any better. At least I don't remember being really impressed. Only sat on them a couple times.

Since you don't have a bike yet, throw up some pics of the boat!

Cheers
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
jaredg21 OP
Adventurer

Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
jaredg21 OP
Adventurer

Thinking about using silicone dry lube has worked on bicycles in the past. I think i might be dreaming big when it comes to the duc on board but I am thinking a drz400 or drz 650. I am very concerned about the salt and a 20k dollar bike but i am still getting it soon even if it never goes on the boat.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,736
Welcome to ADV! You have excellent taste in bikes. If I couldn't have my Super Tenere the new Multistrada would be on top of my list for sure. They are freaking awesome, and if you understand their limitations offroad I don't think you would be disappointed!!

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

She's beautiful!

Any more details on her?

You'll love your MTS. With 2 bikes, you'll want to avoid any cross over in use. Along with the MTS, maybe a Husky TE?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
jaredg21 OP
Adventurer

http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com...tevens-40.html
cutter rig new motor 100 gallons fuel 160 water. I have delivered boats for a living for almost 15 years and this boat is one of the best layouts i have ever seen in the 40 foot range. Actual shower stall is really nice. I ripped out the forward head and turned it in to a tool room. Repaint soon the blue is pretty but not very nice on hot days. New name is going to be Against All Odds. If there is anything else you want to know just ask.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,786
Welcome and good luck with the addiction! I'm still in rehab
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
jaredg21 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Welcome and good luck with the addiction! I'm still in rehab
Don't be a quitter lol
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
jaredg21 OP
Adventurer

As far as leg room goes my last bike was the 1098s and the mts has huge leg room compared to that so it's all objective. I really considered the tenere but after riding a mts that theory was dead. The tenere just did not give me the cornering confidence that the mts does. Apples and oranges I know. I know the tenere is not slow but it it compared to my turbo gsxr that i had and i am just not willing to give up corner carving yet. The mts is the swiss army knife "I" am looking for.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Sounds like the MTS will be a good match for you. I'm excited to see that in your hands.

I've been thinking about getting into sailing. Maybe I'll pm you as to not scatter your MTS + other bike thread.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
jaredg21 OP
Adventurer

Please do I am more than happy to help if I can. There are some great books and schools.