Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
JDouglas OP
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAgggggh

Oddometer: 18
What else should I compare to...

Greetings,

Im brand new here. I currently own a 2007 wee-strom with 37k miles on it and ride a ST1300 at work. I would like to start doing more adventure riding to include logging and fire roads, open areas, and cross-country etc. I would still do a lot of roadway as well. Some weekends it would be 2-up on the road.

The thing I have noticed about the Suzuki compared to the ST is the Strom feels cheapish in its quality. I realise they are completely different bikes with different purposes and price points.

I am considering buying a new Tiger 800xc. It feels much more "solid" amongst other things than does the Suzuki and I enjoyed the demo ride I had on the Tiger. It's obviously more capable in many areas than the Strom.

I want to make sure I ride other bikes so I get the one I want. So my question to you, learned cadre, is what else should I consider and test ride?
JDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Welcome!

There are all kinds of choices out there...but honestly since you already have a wee...throw some soft luggage on it and ride it. It is fully capable of those missions you mentioned. After some time on it, you will get a feel for what it does well and what it sucks at...then you will have a baseline for your next purchase.

(When I had my wee, I was shocked at how much just a nice ProTaper bar transformed the feel of the bike).
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDouglas View Post
what else should I consider and test ride?
2012 -> `Glee-Strom´. Not night and day, but nicely improved from the older one in many ways. Simply feels like a more complete package, and a very capable touring machine indeed. I currently have the -12, and still have an older -07 ABS as well.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,493
The cheapest large adv bike to drop is the one you have now. Put TKC-80's or Heideneau K60's on it and learn to ride on dirt on a 'not so new' bike. Or even more sensible downsize to a 250 and you'll learn faster.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I also had my heart set on an 800XC, until l rode an F800gs straight after the Tiger. Never liked the BMW until l rode one.
Dont be afraid to test as many bikes as you can. In the last month lve tested a 650 Terra, Tiger 1050 Sport, Bmw g650 Sertao and F800gs.
Homerb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
TCAdventure
Sport Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
I would try the Super Tenere. Good balance between function, cost and reliability. Would work well for 2 up and will handle the adventure riding you mention. Good luck with your search.

2003 WR450F (plated), 2009 DR650,
2012 Super Tenere, 2012 Concours C14
TCAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Greetings,

Im brand new here. I currently own a 2007 wee-strom with 37k miles on it and ride a ST1300 at work. I would like to start doing more adventure riding to include logging and fire roads, open areas, and cross-country etc. I would still do a lot of roadway as well. Some weekends it would be 2-up on the road.

I want to make sure I ride other bikes so I get the one I want. So my question to you, learned cadre, is what else should I consider and test ride?
If you haven't done much of the off-road riding you describe I would suggest mounting some more adventure oriented tires on the Wee and giving it a shot for the short term. In the long run I think your choice of the Tiger 800XC would be my choice, especially considering your comments about 2 up and lots of roadway in between. The F800GS is a tiny bit better off the pavement but not so great 2 up and more vibey on the road.

At the moment there aren't too many choices in the middleweight ADV class, i sure wish there were as there's a lot of us looking for something between a 650 single and a 1200 twin. I'm one of them I've got a choice of my KLR650 or my Stelvio 1200. The Stelvio is awesome for the long haul and pretty heavy for the dirt work. The KLR is rather weak when it comes to 2 up exploring. It works .... but just, it's pretty cramped for 2 people and pretty vibey on the road.

I have my eyes on the Tiger 800XC as a possible KLR replacement but I'm hoping something closer to a modern Africa Twin comes along in the 650-750 range.

You might want to check out the Super Tenere, it could work for you also. It's very comfy 2 up and plays in the dirt pretty well for a big beast. It's definitely worth a test ride.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
St. Arbucks
Looking for clues...

Oddometer: 365
Wee and Tiger

There is a good, tho short, thread on Strom vs. Tiger, buried from about a week ago. My only comment on that one, and here, is that you will find a huge different in heat management between the Wee and the Tiger.

I also had a Strom and an ST-1300. The ST was my go-to bike for Fall, Winter, and Spring. The Strom was my hot days of summer bike because of how cool it ran compared to the ST.

Fast forward to recent 95 degree days with my new Tiger. Hot. Damn hot. Air from radiator blown up the legs, inner thighs, and da' jewels.

Though others have differing opinions on the heat of the Tigers. (YMMV) I suggest that you take a test ride on a Tiger during a hot day, and make sure you get at least 30 minutes on it.

Hope this helps.

I loved my STrom and would have it today if some 82 year old lady hadn't decided to help me off of it one fine summer day. :)

Good luck.

2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2007 ST-1300, 1991 KLX-650

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

St. Arbucks screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 07:48 AM
St. Arbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
JDouglas OP
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAgggggh

Thanks for the information from everyone. I may end up with a Tigre XC or a F800gs in the long run but I am going to play some more with the Strom and add some new kit to it.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
JDouglas OP
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAgggggh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBryson View Post
...(snipped) is that you will find a huge different in heat management between the Wee and the Tiger.

(/snipped)

Not that it was you but, I believe someone else had commented on the ST1300 being quite hot and the Tiger being similar. I spend 10+ hours a day on a ST1300 when I work. Much of it in traffic or sitting still after running it up. I get some heat from the ST1300, but I don't know that it's awful. Maybe Im not understanding the comparison they made?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Not that it was you but, I believe someone else had commented on the ST1300 being quite hot and the Tiger being similar. I spend 10+ hours a day on a ST1300 when I work. Much of it in traffic or sitting still after running it up. I get some heat from the ST1300, but I don't know that it's awful. Maybe Im not understanding the comparison they made?
The heat on the ST1300 can vary quite a bit from bike to bike. Once you then add the different gear folks wear, different environmental conditions and different heat sensitivity of the riders, and it can be difficult to get a good read on how hot ST1300s are as a breed. A rider wearing the same gear and going from an ST1300 to another bike can say "Bike X runs cooler than my ST1300", and given enough such feedback it is fairly safe to conclude that Model X runs cooler than ST1300s, but that still doesn't answer how hot either one actually is...
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:

My ST1100 gets hot enough to be uncomfortable with Olympia pants. I try to stay out on the highways or county roads when I use it at work. I did the KLR for Tiger swap and love it. Had a V before that it was just too top heavy for the dirt roads, and that was when the work bike was a Road King!
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote