User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
tenmile OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
How do I bend this back?!?

After a particularly stupid 'off' today (do 4000mi, come home, mount new tires and promptly drop it down the block), I managed to re-arrainge my pannier racks about an inch, maybe more, to the left side of the bike. Considering the amount of pictures I see on here with these things on their side , I'm wondering if anyone has some genius ideas on how to bend the racks back, short of dissembling everything and trying to use a press?

Any help is appreciated!

Before:

After:
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,089
I did the same thing. I have a friend who has a body shop and he fixed the rack and banged out the case . They have all the correct tools. Only cost me a case of beer.
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 644
drop it 1/2 as hard on the opposite side
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
I've pushed my crash bars into the plastic. I took a nylon belt and hooked one side to my pick up and the other side to the winch on my atv. Then I just cranked the winch until it was pulled back out. Maybe you can bend it out doing something like that.

Actually, I kind of like the new look. It looks like you ride the bike.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
that's what I'd have tried :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
tenmile OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinalcracker View Post
I did the same thing. I have a friend who has a body shop and he fixed the rack and banged out the case . They have all the correct tools. Only cost me a case of beer.
Dangit. Now I need to add 'bodyman' to a list of friends to find

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
Actually, the side I dropped is the side I tweaked (I think because it started spinning around, the case was being pulled upwards). So, I could just drop it again on the same side I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
I've pushed my crash bars into the plastic. I took a nylon belt and hooked one side to my pick up and the other side to the winch on my atv. Then I just cranked the winch until it was pulled back out. Maybe you can bend it out doing something like that.

Actually, I kind of like the new look. It looks like you ride the bike.
This is kind of what I was thinking, but the only winch I have is on my pickup and doesn't have the same fidelity that the smaller winches do. I think I might try to strap it to the truck, then use a small come-along or ratchet strap to nudge it back to the other direction. But glad to hear that worked for you. Lucky for me, the crash bars barely moved- like 1/8", max? So just the pannier mounts I need to sort out.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I had a similar experience but with the BMW/touratech panniers (aluminum ones), someone backed into my bike, they hit the right pannier hard enough to pop it off, subsequently knocking the bike of the center stand and then it fell over on the right side. So I had multiple angles of damage to correct. What I did at first was remove the panniers, loosen the stuff up and see if you can work it back into place, if that doesn't work or you need to get stuff into place with some force start removing pieces and slowly but surely beat/bend them back into form. I used a small conduit pipe bender, sheet metal flange bender, and a rubber maul as well as a variety of screwed together pieces of wood to make jigs to ensure that I got focal pressure where I wanted it. All in all after about 6 hrs I was able to straighten everything to nearly perfect condition. It was a pain in the butt, but I got it fixed. Because mine was all aluminum it wasn't too bad, if you have steel or really thick aluminum sections perhaps some heat to the particular area you need to reshape may be in order. I did this on only one section and it worked out beautifully (just don't get it too hot, red is too hot!)
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
In looking at your pictures it looks like it was just torqued out of shape as the upper/lower parts of the luggage rack look square just not parallel to the ground.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
How are those Anakee 3 tires holding up for you? I just ordered a set and I am hoping for some better mileage.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Center stand your bike between two trees, about 6 feet each side of your bike. Rope webbing tie off your good side tight, then use 3-1 rope rescue type system or a come along and gently slowly pull you gakk back into alignment. This also works for bent crash bars.

A Sikorsky fix