Reaver OP
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Guess what Darrryl?

Oso's shipping starts on friday

Just wanted to keep you tuned as good friend
Oh mon petite ami. Or ami petite. Whatever they say in that wee country across the pond that talks funny.

I haven't had time to properly put you in your place.

I'm not allowed to comment on the tank just yet.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 12:03 AM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #47
Reaver OP
Outta Here

I'm having a hard time keeping up with all my responsibilities on this trip. That and Bec is hogging the computer keeping up with her family on FB and doing work stuff. When I get the laptop the battery's dead and the POS will overheat if you charge it while using it. Hence the shorter, multiple posts. I've lost a few half hour write-ups in the past.

Yesterday felt more like holiday, or like work with a lot of breaks. We hit the Interstate at 10:30 after sleeping in but soon crossed into Mountain time so we gained an hour. The heat is oppressive so travelling at 80 just may be the better choice over stop and go secondarys. I 90 is riddled with billboards of all sizes and colours. I felt like a fish navigating a river full of fishing lures trying to reel me in. Over the travels we passed Reagan's birthplace, Lincoln's something, Laura Ingals Wilder's birthplace, The World's Biggest this and that but passing by Captain Kirks future birthplace was the toughest.

Bikes:

So far so good. I believe it's either preventative maintenance or good German Engineering. The heat and sustained high speed doesn't seem to bother the engines although the morning inspection showed oil and coolant weeping from the water pump hole on Bec's bike. It was minor so I cleaned it off and added it to the "monitor" list. Can't really fault that so I'll let Woody worry for me on that. My 800 consistently takes 1/2 to 3/4 gallon more on fill ups. That's 2 litres + difference for side by side riding. Mine's heavier loaded and higher and with the headwinds inn the Prairies here, mine was showing 6.5 to 7.5 L/100. Someone can convert that to MPG for me. This heat has the morning inspections limited to "tires have air and chain looks ok".

We're leaving the Devil's Tower in Wyoming this am and since Yellowstone is on fire, the Glacier National Park in Montana is the destination today. Sounds cooler?

I took hundreds of great pics yesterday of our travels and will try to get them posted tonight.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 01:51 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #48
Cyclenaut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Day 1

949 kms, 11 hrs in the saddle!

That's almost 600 miles for you Yanks.

So much for my endurance worries. We're in Geneseo Illinois at what Zumo thinks is a Super 8 Motel. I forget what the sign says buy the lady at the desk gave us a single person rate with some discount for a membership we don't have. Sweet. We'd stopped at a Best Western with a vacant lot and they told us $100. F that S. At the 800 km mark I saw Bec drift across a lane. She later said she was struggling to stay awake. Not good. I was cruising at 80 mph when my engine suddenly cut out. For a sec I was in shock but quickly realized I'd simply let go of the throttle. Interstates are extremely boring and tiring. We made it although stupidly pushed ourselves.

Normally Border crossing into the US is a breeze. No paperwork, no fees just a passport check and a few questions. NOT TODAY! We got Special Agent "Thorough" with a "Not on My Watch!" attitude. He was checking trunks, poking in windows and every other car went for secondary inspection. Twice our lane was shut down because inspection was full. OMFG! With about 10 cars in front of us, it took an hour. We'd had a late start because the stray cat that showed up at my house days before I moved, and I reluctantly adopted, started acting weird like it was sick. Bec had to reassure herself it would be ok. The Pet sitter is a vet. Cats are free, can we go now? I call him "Broken Tail" but I think it should be "Broken Head". It's weird, even for a cat.

It was a beautiful day for a ride. Sunny and 26-28 C which feels cool at 80 mph. I chose to wear my System 6 helmet for various reasons like my sunglasses got trashed during the move and it has a flip down sun visor. It's modular which makes it wider than my Shoei Hornet creating more wind resistance. My neck was sore after 2 hrs and that doesn't happen with the Hornet. The peripheral vision is less as well. It's always windy and turbulent in the Great Lakes areas but soon it will be much hotter as we leave them behind.

I look like Marvin Martian.

I'm a Geneseo native...hope you enjoyed your stay....great trip/rr so far....

- John Steinbeck
Cyclenaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #49
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
... Can't really fault that so I'll let Woody worry for me on that ...
Ok I'm on it ...
worry worry worry ...

oh dear and if it blows you might have to replace camshaft drive gear also ...
worry extra, worry extra, worry extra ...

Ok now...

7 liters / 100 kilometers would be 33.6 miles / (US) gallon....
You two are showing those bikes little mercy
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #50
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Hola Reaver

Take your time and enjoy the ride
Soon you will be in a better climate and amazing scenery.....I know you won't be in South Cal for sometime but my couch and garage is open for you and your lady
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #51
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Subscribed. Keep it coming.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #52
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Hummmm

Where is today report.......
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #53
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post

Where is today report.......
Get back to work.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #54
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Day 3 was 600 leisurely kms compared to the other two.

A "Lure" got my attention and I was hooked. Stopped for gas and a Buffalo Meat hot dog. It was good but still a hot dog. You know what hot dogs are made of? Lips and .......

The Badlands National park was awesome at $10/bike.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #55
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Very nice ....

Good pictures there Reaver. Now you can rest and have a cold beers
Looking forward to tomorrow RR

Scubalong screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 08:00 AM
Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #56
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
Good pictures there Reaver. Ow you can rest and have a cold beers
Looking forward to tomorrow RR
Just getting started here Kemosabe. (?)

Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #57
Reaver OP
Outta Here

After another slab tour we ended up in Keystone for lunch. We ate here at a 1800's theme hotel. One waitress was in period costume. I think the costumes were smaller back then. It was about 3 sizes too small...in a bad way.

Bec had butterflies in her stomach. She lifted her shirt and a yellow butterfly flew away into traffic...

There was a French van with "Tour de la Monde" on it. I can't imagine touring the world in a van. It would be a completely different experience. A girl was typing on a laptop in the passenger seat, oblivious to the world outside.

What's in Keystone?????

We saved the $11 per and took pics from the road. Yes it was a Monumental achievement (groan) but it's man made.....and American Presidents. I would fail the test here. Sorry we missed you Crazy Horse.

Had a cool tunnel though.........

We spent the $22 we saved on gas for the Interstate's necessary evil to the next location.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:03 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #58
Reaver OP
Outta Here

We took highway 24 and it was awesome. New pavement, sharp curves for 9 miles and lots of visibility. I may have exceeded the limit by a few mph. The Sherriff's white SUV was parked in the green grass in plain view. It reminded me of the episode on Corner Gas where the cops had to buy a shrub to hide the car for a speed trap in the Prairies. It's a Canadian show about nothing. You wouldn't understand. Anyway I slowed to pass him.

Wait a minute......is that a Land Shark????

Awww crap, it's getting closer!!!

Huh?

It's the Devil's Tower in Wyoming. I had my "Close Encounter".........

Here our model is wearing a BMW nylon shirt with BMW City Denim jeans and BMW Santiago Adventure boots. Please don't approach him, he's a snob.

I think it was $5/bike but I forget. I was more than happy to pay as natural features are far more interesting than man made. It was a busy place and I felt like I was in China or Japan.

The sign said it was a sacred Indian place so please stay on the trail. There were lots of mountain climbers who had it on their "To Do" list and if you pay the fees you can desecrate it if you want.

The buzzards were waiting for the fallen.......

Reaver screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:29 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #59
Reaver OP
Outta Here

The Devil's Tower is just outside of the town of Hulett. Like Mulett. A strange place but we were tired and stayed at:

It was a weird hotel. All the floors bounced when you walked and the tub drain was clogged with hair. I threw my nylon shirts in with my shower and made like a washing machine....or more like stomping grapes. Bec took a pic of the guy vacuuming the stuffed animal heads.

Bec liked the Tower but had more fun with the Prairie Dogs...........

We were REALLY happy to leave that little town. Oh, and someone was hit by a microburst of gravity at the hotel parking lot. No comment. He he!

Reaver screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:15 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #60
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Remember I said I was stung in the side the other day? This was over 3 inches wide.

I'm not allowed to show you my Monkey Butt.