Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #91
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,041
Day 7 Another 600 kms or so. Who's counting?

It rained most of the night in Revelstoke and the morning was wet and misty. I really wanted to rest on the 7th day but it wasn't the best location or hotel for that. I begrudgingly got out of bed while Bec fetched the free muddy water to get me going. A thorough bike inspection and chain maintenance along with a wheel bearing check, tires, reflector, and rims. All ok. F U Loutre. Bec still wanted her luxury suite and booked it online so it was Whistler or bust, as she said. All packed up and seats dried, we left late again and headed for Tims after seeing the Motel's free breakfast. Stupid tourist towns. After a long search we found a spot to park. We removed our gear and headed toward the door which was held open by the lineup of people. Dammit. I'm not waiting. We geared back up complete with my rain pants on backwards, the zipper flaps into the wind. Tough. A man coming from the west says it's all rain coming down in buckets. It doesn't get better! So we survived the parking lot exit to the first red light where the buckets began to fall. Awesome. Hungry, cold and now rain. Onward ho! Maybe 20 mins later the sun came out and it was nice but the wet roads behind the traffic was just like rain. Only dirtier. Onward to Salmon Arm, another busy Touristy place, we stopped at Wendy's and it took an hour for "Fast Food". I hate crowds. Arriving at the top of hwy 99, The Sea to Sky, it was all grins. No traffic, lots of "curves ahead" signs and great pavement. Blasting through the mountains Bec disappeared behind me. I pulled over to get some action shots and nearly dumped it with too much front brake in the gravel. Bec zoomed by and I blew the shot. We hit Lilooet, turned left to continue on and the pavement turned to shite. Rough broken with an annoying crack down the middle of the lane the whole way that made your bars go squirrely when you fell into it. Now with the sun in our faces, things got interesting. Try doing 60 on a 40 corner on bad pavement when the sun hits your face, blinding you as the silhouette of an oncoming car registers. At this point we were slowing down the cars behind us. After about 30 kms of this, the heavens and trees parted to reveal NEW WIDE PAVEMENT! On the gas.....suddenly a wooden planked one lane bridge appears after a 90 degree corner. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!! Hit the brakes and slide on the longitudinal planks without checking for oncoming traffic. Stupid, but I got away with it. Many 20 and 40 kmh corners later the clouds cleared and the mountains shone in the light. I started snapping pics with my left as the right hand rolled on the throttle and controlled the lean angle. Just then the front end washed out briefly as I hit sand or gravel then regained traction. I could've snapped a pencil with that pucker. Enough stupid crap. I calmed right down in the 12 C temps with it's lower grip and rode like Grandpa from there on out. I know I'm going slow when Bec's in my mirror on the twisties.We arrived in Whistler, site of the 2010 Winter Olympics, at our luxury hotel and decided to take the 8th day off. Sorta.

Pics:

The cross wind had this guy "crabbing" at 60 in a 90. The rear was being blown to the right as the front clinged to the centreline.

U-Haul We-Wait. A tiny break in traffic allowed for a rev limiter check.

I blew this shot after recovering from a near dump. Bec's shadow.....

Bec wearing her "Tank Bag". Guess where she stores the untethered camera.

Was that a left or right on Crazy Canuck?

The view from the "Summit" Hotel. A luxury suite with a kitchen, dishes and all. We liked it so much we booked a second night.

Now there's a full time job! Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys would have an orgasm.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:48 PM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #92
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Day 8 - Zero Kms. 5062.1 kms to date. Butt Break!

At our hotel I slept through EVERYTHING. For once, Bec didn't sleep. The bikes were secure in the underground parking, the hotel was high end and quiet and we made it to the West Coast. My mind was at peace. I woke at 7 and made the specialty coffee and got caught up on the RR. Bec woke in time for her 10 am Spa appointment, massage and facial etc. On my Visa of course. 2 hrs of relaxing and pampering was destroyed by the next activity. BUNGEE! The price included a ride from the hotel. We reached a gravel road and travelled 3 kms in a van driven by a "Drifter!" I swear they had a prize for best time. We were sliding around the corners barely missing pedestrians and tourist cars. I guess you may as well have fun at work with the Company van. We had signed the waiver that mentioned the ride to the site being included in the potential hazards. Bec and I seem to be attracted to activities requiring helmets and waivers. I'd done Bungee jumps before but not her. She loved Sky Diving and White Water Rafting so why not?

This couple jumped together like this and got wet!

No, I'm not scared. (BS!)

Fake smile

But she did it! I was so proud. No embarrassing wet marks either.

The REAL smile.

My turn.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Reaver screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 08:14 AM
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #93
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

And Now for Something Completely Different

A ride across the Country, a morning at the Spa, a Leap of Faith off a bridge....what more can you do to shake things up?

She was soooo surprised and overwhelmed, she couldn't speak. I wanted to propose just before she jumped to really mess with her head but she was bad enough. I looked at the holes in the bridge and considered my luck with things and decided to wait till we were done. She stood there motionless forever it seemed before stuttering a "Yes". My thanks to the staff at Whistler Bungee for their cooperation and professionalism.

We ride together, travel together, jump out of and off things together all without arguing. What more can I ask for?

Reaver screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 08:58 AM
Old 08-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #94
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Erling:

You may now post anything you like. Be shameless in your self promotion!!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #95
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
How's that Camel Tank working out for you?
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #96
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
How's that Camel Tank working out for you?

Exactly as promised! I think my guage is broke because after riding 2 1/2 hrs it still shows full. With her bike getting better mileage than mine, it means we can go further between stops even with her stock tank only.

I love my Camel!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #97
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
A ride across the Country, a morning at the Spa, a Leap of Faith off a bridge....what more can you do to shake things up?

She was soooo surprised and overwhelmed, she couldn't speak. I wanted to propose just before she jumped to really mess with her head but she was bad enough. I looked at the holes in the bridge and considered my luck with things and decided to wait till we were done. She stood there motionless for ever it seemed before stuttering a "Yes". My thanks to the staff at Whistler Bungee for their cooperation and professionalism.

We ride together, travel together, jump out of and off things together all without arguing. What more can I ask for?
Congrats to you

Offer my sympathies to Becca

Good thinking on your part to wait until her brain was a bit shook up from the jump!

Seriously ... congrats!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #98
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
She said yes?

Congrats dood.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #99
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
congrats
loving this ride report and you sharing with us
thank you
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #100
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

She was soooo surprised and overwhelmed, she couldn't speak. I wanted to propose just before she jumped to really mess with her head but she was bad enough. I looked at the holes in the bridge and considered my luck with things and decided to wait till we were done. She stood there motionless for ever it seemed before stuttering a "Yes". My thanks to the staff at Whistler Bungee for their cooperation and professionalism.

It looks like a good fit...... Ring too...... It was great to see, and follow this Darryl. Congratulations to you both. Let me know when you need another napkin holder.......

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #101
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
It looks like a good fit...... Ring too...... It was great to see, and follow this Darryl. Congratulations to you both. Let me know when you need another napkin holder.......
I thought you were going to Hype your creation?

Bec's replacement bike is red and she didn't like it at first. I convinced her it's far more visible than the old one. "It's too much red". So I bought the carbon fibre centre panel and she loved it. Then I bought her a CF beak extension and it was a hit too.

So...I had planned to propose on this trip and it was a miracle that things came together to allow it in the first place. I needed a ring that could be hidden in plain sight, be light and more of a symbol than an actual gold band and diamond. We are not flashy people anyway. Something that may be lost without too much grief should it come to that. I don't wear jewelry or a watch, and her stuff is more costume like. We would just rather spend the money on gas, like this trip.

I decided a CF ring would be perfect, to match the bike. The stuff online was cookie cutter, all the same and impersonal. Who's the master with CF on ADV? Erling! So I asked him to make me one and he graciously volunteered his time and materials and would accept no money. It arrived at Bec's house on the only Monday she took off work. Erling had labelled the envelope "Napkin Holder" so Bec wanted to open it and see. I did some fast talking and used diversion tactics. Whew.

Hand made, one of a kind and a story to boot. Perfect. Bec and I thank you so much Erling.

We had debated sizes for a week and settled on a bit big. So in true McGyver style, I lined the inside of the ring with two layers of electrical tape while in Whistler to make it a perfect fit. It will end up as my wedding band on the big day so there's meat enough to hone it out a bit larger for me. I don't remember the last time I put so much thought into something. So it may be just a few bucks worth of material, but it's story is priceless! So much time has gone into it, something a store bought ring will never have.

If time and luck are in our favour then we plan to meet Erling and buy the first 5 rounds!

Thanks man, you're the best!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #102
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,290
Congrats!

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #103
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Thanks Darryl. Those are great words, but this story and new chapter in your life is about the two of you, not me, and thus anything regarding the ring, I felt should come from you. That said I appreciate those kind words, and a chance to be part of this. By you asking this, you have opened my eyes to something different, I have never though of, and for that I thank YOU, and BEC.
Regarding the ring, pm me when you get back, and want to change the fit, on the elegant finger it it on right now......
It is a great ride report you have created, and a joy to follow the two of you. Stay safe, and keep riding.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #104
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Day 9 - 600 kms

Whistler to Portland Oregon

We got up early and packed our clean clothes. The hotel had a Laundromat at $1.50/load and we brought detergent so for $3 we were set for another week. I brought my church underwear just in case, you know, the holey ones. Sometimes buying new is cheaper than washing them in some places. We got new T shirts with the Bungee so another days shirt as well.

It was tough leaving that fancy hotel, mostly because our bikes wouldn't trigger the automatic garage door opener. The concrete was uneven and on a slope so I couldn't easily dismount my loaded pig. I did the tip toe reverse gear with swearing as my back up alarm. Dismounted, I jumped with both feet landing on that old fashioned gas bar bell ringer pneumatic hose thingy. We were FREE!

A scenic and uneventful down hill coast on the 99 to Vancouver. She needed gas but we waited. We stopped downtown Vancouver to find a Decal for my topcase. No luck. I guess I'll have to order online or something. Negotiated our way through the beggars to Timmies where you had to be buzzed into the bathroom. Weird. I guess the homeless have to score enough for a coffee in order to use indoor facilities. The sign read Gimme $ Gimme$ Gimme $. Subtle. Both Canada and the US have treated the Natives poorly but still......

We liberated the rubber ducky and named him "Whistler" even though he had no squeaker.....

I've never seen so many BMW R1200C's as I did In Vancouver. I bet there's more there than the rest of Canada. BMW's only cruiser (R1200CL is a bagger version), it only became popular after poor sales caused it to be discontinued. I've ridden many and every time I hear the stock pipes I think "Whose making Popcorn?"

Crossed the border at the Pacific X-ing instead of the Peace Arch cause I haven't done that yet but mostly the sign said a much shorter wait. The US Border Agent was a short man so pour on the respect! Yes Sir, No Sir.....He was polite and asked a lot of trip-up questions then quizzed me about Bec who was next in line. No prob, he lacked the arrogance they normally have but was good at his job. Either they just don't get it or it's an act. "What route are you taking home from LA?" I don't know sir." "What do you mean you don't know?" "I have a GPS and two weeks to figure it out Sir. We're bikers."

Talked to a couple by yelling over the barrier while in line. They just did a tour of the US and Newfoundland Stromming 22 K kms and were returning home to Vancouver, Canada. Cool. I think they wanted to tell the world but I didn't get a chance to ask about a RR. That's a long ride!

Interstated (yawn) to Seattle where we negotiated the hilly streets and "no turns" until we zig zagged our way to the waterfront. Long weekend traffic and tourists had us looking for a parking spot in the now roasting heat. Finally found bike only parking right across from the Seattle Aquarium. A local pulled up on his cruiser and gave us the lowdown on the restaurants. The Crab Pot by the Sky Wheel it is! We wanted to do the Sky Wheel for pics just like Niagara Falls....but look at the lineup!

Look, a baby CN Tower!

Bec and I waiting for our Crab Stuffed Salmon at the Crab Pot. Awesome and under $20 each. We were famished so no pics of our lunch. It looked like a pregnant salmon fillet, use your imagination.

Seattle had it's share of beggars too. "I need a Fatty" and "Need cash for Alcohol and Weed" was to the point as well. I snapped a general pic of the waterfront and someone wanted money for being in it. I'll crop you out, don't worry Scruffy! Leaving Seattle was a PITA! The idiots were blocking the intersections. We got a green light, with no one ahead but with some idiot SUV owner with entitlement issues was blocking the way for our doubly wide "baggers". Soaked in sweat Bec was.....not being Lady-like. Polite Canadians my arse. Her impatience carried on the rest of the day to the point the tail was trying to wag the dog. I'm leading, you're not. So we missed hwy 101 along the coast of Washington and stayed on the same old Interstate nothingness. I called it quits just north of Portland Oregon. Stick with the small towns to avoid high cost rooms. We found a good place first try and it even had 2 ply toilet paper.

Riding and being with a partner 24/7, no matter who that partner is, is stressful and will lead to tiffs, disagreements or whatever you want to call it. That's life. We're good 99% but sometimes I get crabby when tired. Different beds, different hotels and worries make me restless. I usually take Tylenol PM to zonk me out. Sometimes it doesn't work.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 03:11 PM
Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #105
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 174
Thumb

Congrats!! Awsome RR... but I just can't see the pics. Is it just me?
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote