Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #121
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
We're leaving Santa Monica this morning for Las Vegas. The oven is on HIGH so this may be the last post. Sorry to my family for the worry but go Google the forecast!

Booked two days in Vegas. I hope to get caught up then.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #122
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 569
Oven? It's a friggin Kiln here, stay cool.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #123
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Day 12- San Fran to Ragged Point CA

We took another streetcar from Pier 39 and my winning personality cleared the place. Even the driver left.......

We then got more "schooling" about public transit in San Fran. This lady was not as polite. Seems we were supposed to get a transfer. She mumbled something about getting a citation.The next car was locked up as it was break time or something, so we waited.

Arriving back at the hotel to retrieve our luggage, the Bellboy was way to obvious. "Ten bags?" As if to say "Ten Bucks". Ah no. These two had quite the attitudes with the other saying something about me invading his personal space. Tough buddy. Stop leaning on my cart. Clearly I'm trying to carry all my luggage and GTFO so MOVE IT! It's not like it was a cramped lobby or anything. Go back to your hole.

So we carried all our gear through the streets to the garage and loaded up. Quick inspection of the bikes and we tried to leave. What's with these garages? We came in side by each and only grabbed one ticket (per spot, right? 2 bikes one spot. Sounds like that video, no?) Well you had to pay the man before you got in your car, not shove your CC in a machine. So I explained we had two bikes, one spot. I'll pay, whatever. Oh well then I got SH*t for not parking in the MC spot-that had a sign "5 minutes max parking" He made a production out of that mess and wanted my driver's lic # and plate numbers. "I paid you cash for both bikes, why do you need my info?" Mumble mumble......so I BS'd the form and left. Meanwhile a lineup had formed behind me. The other parking attendant said I should have just left. Right.....it was only $13.50 for both. Don't need the cops after us for that. I guess I'm too dumb for San Fran, I sure did get some schoolin'!

Well GPS's hate tall buildings and mine couldn't find the satellites. Bec said go left, I said right. So we went right and tried to navigate the taxis and pedestrians and red lights and train tracks and metal plates on the road. Oh, and the hilly streets. I ended up going west on the HWY instead of east or north or something. There was no turning back so I just crossed the bridge to the next exit and did a U turn to get the hell out. Bec tried to say something but I explained that First, I ride safe THEN I try to read signs and navigate. It was a 5 min detour. Who cares? It was a crazy city full of perils for bikers. Still, I want to go back and see more of it. The new bridge had just opened but was twice as slow as drivers are trying to take pics and gawk at the artistic style. It was top story on all the news channels.

The Golden Gate bridge is automatic toll now so we'll see if we get the bill for that one.

The Coastal riding was gorgeous. Too much traffic tho. We try to take holidays into September to avoid the major crowds but still, Motorhomes towing cars and boats plagued us. There's no fun staring at the back of a Land Yacht for miles in the twisties. The worst was a Minivan full of Geriatrics doing less than the limit while pointing to this and that. Damn thing had BC plates on it too. He would not take the hint to move over despite the "Slow Traffic Use Turnout" signs or my 1st gear 7000 rpm whine. Finally screaming past him, I got stuck behind another on a beautiful sweeping corner. Dammit! Coming around, mildly over the limit, a cop car sat in a crevice while a Trooper hid up ahead in the bushes. Sorry Sir, not today! That van saved me a lot of woe.

Getting late and being isolated, accommodation is scarce. We found the Ragged Point Inn just ahead and there was vacancy. Bec does the negotiating and gives a . I do my "El Burro" thing, carrying all the bags up the stairs....

And we finally get our sunset over the Pacific.....

It was pricey but we had little choice. They had a nice seating area where the guests can relax to watch the sun set and a secluded beach if you dared the steep trail down to it.

It was later that night in the room that I realized my camera dial had moved from Auto to Manual so many of my pics were crap. I'd pulled it out of my tank bag by the strap and caught the dial........

Reaver screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 05:28 AM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #124
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Day 13- Ragged Point to Santa Monica.

After breakfast at the Inn, I gave Bec the camera and she entertained herself watching the many humming birds in the flower gardens while I did my kicking of the tires. A nice Inn with lots to offer but again, no time to enjoy them. You could tell they held spectacular weddings there.

Are we still in California??

Enjoying the Coastal scenery, we arrived in Santa Barbara to meet one of Bec's friends for lunch on the Pier. While the women blabbed on about boring women things, I watched the Fisherman prepping and took some pics......

I had my first Clam Chowder and actually liked it. Go figure. We'd met a retired couple on our East Coast trip last year who were on a tour bus doing a "Clam Chowder Vacation". Apparently that interests some people. They showed us the Passport stamps of all the famous Chowder places they'd been.......yawn.

We said our goodbye's and hit the highway. Sorta.....

Although the title suggests we're headed for LA, Scooby was right in that it's just for mapping purposes. The general area marked our turning point away from the Pacific Coast.

So I stayed right.....................

So THIS is where he hangs off-season........

Bec had reserved us a room online in Santa Monica and researched "The Snake" road. It's in the top 10 most dangerous roads of America. It's said to rival "The Dragon" which we did previously so were excited to check this out and made the time for a detour. They say it's hard to find and isn't advertised. Zumo had us follow Kanan to Sierra Creek Rd then to Mulholland. Confused as to go left or right, we went right and followed a windy, mildly amusing road to the top where it ended. I figured we went the wrong way so went back down and followed the road past our entry where it became just a boring road. Checking Zumo, Old Topanga Canyon looked more like it. Twisty and long, it took us through small towns where we got behind a convertible 'vette driven by an old guy like it was a school bus.

There was no passing so we pulled over for a few minutes. It wasn't long before we caught up again and now had traffic behind us . Finally reaching the end I said F it and punched the hotel addy on the GPS. Some other time. We were planning on meeting an ADV'r who lived close to our hotel.

Since I couldn't give an exact arrival time, we weren't able to hook up with him. Zumo had brought us to Marina Del Ray and said "arriving on left". Uh, there's a marina on the left. Ahead of us were apartment buildings and on the right, an unmarked apartment like building. Round and round we go. Finally when we were far enough away we spotted the Marriot sign obscured on the top of that unmarked building we had been sitting at. How can you NOT have hotel logos at street level???? There was nothing to indicate what it was. At least the "Valet Only" parking wasn't enforced. They just laughed and told me where to park myself.

Settled in, I searched "The Snake" again and found we'd ridden it twice. What a total disappointment! It's the top of Mulholland. On our way back down from searching for it, a pair of litre bikes announced their presence behind me with a Indy car like roar of the engine. I went wide on the turn into the dirt to let them pass and they waved their thanks. I tried to keep up, thinking they would lead us to this elusive road but they were gone. So in the end, a waste of time. No stopping at the "Rock" store where Jay Leno has hung out, no decal for the bikes. No thanks.

Grab me another beer honey...

The Snake. Sure was short.

Another disappointed rider...

Reaver screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 08:31 AM
Old 09-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #125
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Day 14 - Santa Monica to Las Vegas.

10 am and it's already cooking. We left the hotel and headed for the Santa Monica Pier for lunch. Rode the coast searching for parking and eventually paid the ransom at the beach lots. At least they only charged for one spot, not per vehicle. It's funny, we always disagree on what place is safe to leave the helmets. It's hot enough so I wasn't hauling that around too. My Hornet has D rings so I lock it to the hand guards but the BMW helmets have a latch that can't be locked. At the least I haven't looked into it yet. So she reluctantly leaves hers there too. A quick tour of the Pier and lunch at a Mexican restaurant on the end. The Ferris Wheel isn't like Seattle but WTH, we went on it for pics.

I didn't know that.

Ferris wheel shot of the pier.

This was the best stealth shot I could get boys. There wasn't a lot of beach wildlife worth photographing. Sadly.

Leaving that behind , we hit traffic for an hour in the heat. OMFG it was hot. I haven't decided if wind at 40+ C helps any.

That's a moving temp, not heat soaked in a lot. 42.5 C is what F? 108!!!!

Finally making our way outta there, the skies all around were threatening. We stopped, not for rain gear but to empty our pockets of valuables and electronics in hopes it would pour.

Sadly, it didn't. Storms were all around and the turbulence was extreme. Again we found an open spot in traffic and were kicked side to side about the lanes. The road was wet from the fast moving storm and the lightening continued. We DID get hit with a dust storm that stung like hell on exposed skin. I figured it'd take the paint off it was that bad.

The contrast between absolutely nothing then a huge city plopped down into the desolation like a mirage was fascinating. A few clicks and it's gone again, back to nothingness.

Anyway, we arrived safe in Las Vegas at the Hilton. Bec scored another Expedia deal so we got a Suite with a full kitchen, dishwasher, 2 TV's, Jacuzzi tub and washer/dryer. All for $115/night! The place is a condo really, huge. Tomorrow we have some sorta plans I'm not made aware of. I wanna go see Chumlee at the Pawn shop.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 05:47 PM
Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #126
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
... Tomorrow we have some sorta plans I'm not made aware of ...
See it's almost like being married ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #127
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Cry You and Beck were sooooo close

Too bad we could not meet up for a grub and cold beverages
Have fun in Vegas.
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #128
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
You will find that the Pawn Store is no where as big as the show illustrates...... Don't ask how I know this.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #129
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
See it's almost like being married ...

She got a little Tipsy last night and wanted to book a wedding. She even asked her brother about what their parents would think. They don't like that we're "Living in Sin" and were partially relieved when we got engaged. I'm sure they want to be a part of the wedding and would be disappointed with us if Elvis took it away from them.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #130
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
Too bad we could not meet up for a grub and cold beverages
Have fun in Vegas.
Yes I know Scooby. Would've been great. You people with your "Jobs" make it hard to hook up with. We just don't know what time we'll arrive somewhere and have to keep progressing. It was funny when Bec got your txt. I was in the washroom and came out to see her screwed up face trying to figure out who you were and how someone got her number.

My phone has been off for two weeks. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Thanks for the offer tho. You'll just have to come out my way now!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #131
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You will find that the Pawn Store is no where as big as the show illustrates...... Don't ask how I know this.....
I have no illusions. America and it's hype! It's 2 miles from the hotel but in the other direction from the strip. It'll have lineups like crazy on a weekend. It's a touristy thing so maybe just a drive by with a camera. I can probably get a souvenir online!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #132
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Thumb No worry

Sorry someone have to work and pay tax so our Big brothers can spend
Hahahaha Beck probably freak out and wonder who the hell is Scuby lucky I did not used any false language in my text
You and Beck have fun and be safe I will see you next year.i will plan a trip north to visit few of my Canuk friends
P.S: glad you two didn't get married in Vegas otherwise you will hear about it for a long long time from your family. Ride on Bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Yes I know Scooby. Would've been great. You people with your "Jobs" make it hard to hook up with. We just don't know what time we'll arrive somewhere and have to keep progressing. It was funny when Bec got your txt. I was in the washroom and came out to see her screwed up face trying to figure out who you were and how someone got her number.

My phone has been off for two weeks. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Thanks for the offer tho. You'll just have to come out my way now!
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #133
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Day 15 - 8 miles....walking.

Wow. What a blast. I had preconceived ideas of the place from movies etc. so I wasn't expecting much. We don't like to gamble, even if the tokens were free and the winnings real. Just no excitement for us. So I thought it would be blah. Man, was I wrong. You can have fun on the cheap!

We walked for a bit, got drinks on an outdoor patio....for $23. Then we noticed everyone walking around with drinks. So we stopped at any store and bought beer and coolers cheap and away we went maintaining a nice buzz. The people watching was fantastic. We sat on a bench in the rain to observe. There was comedy all around. Not making fun of people, just their dress and behaviour. A Bum wearing lingerie, a guy picking up the discarded alcohol containers and sucking out the remnants, a cat wearing shades, drunken groups......hilarious.

Then there was this guy. He lost a bet and had to walk the strip. People were making him pose for pics:

Bec made me take this one for you guys:

The fence prevented Bec from getting........closer. (stupid PB won't rotate this)

We saw MMJ, the Mexican Michael Jackson, Pee Wee Herman and his bike on a Big Adventure, the Fat Elvis, Edward Scissorhands, Willy Wonka, tiny Spiderman etc etc. Bec got this one for her Nephews.

After all that we went for a rooftop rollercoaster ride, the "Manhattan Express". The group in front of us were Happy Drunk. I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt. These guys were having fun! One guy was detailing his first waxing experience then was telling the girl to show her diamond ring. Hint, it was down south. Great time. We scored front seats on the coaster for the best view. Awesome!

Then there was this place:

Looked expensive.

I REALLY wanted to go to the HD Café. Maybe next time.

Loutre, oh Loutre, wherefore art thou Loutre?

The fountains at the Bellagio were set to music. Many other free shows as well, like pirate ships.

We went to the Cirque du Soliel "Zarkana" show. We've seen a few of these but really enjoy it. The more adult version was all sold out, like most of the good shows. Even the "Pawn Star" tour.

All in all, a fantastic time and cheap. The Hilton here is really pushing us though. We opted out of our "Welcome Package" that sounded like a time share spiel. When we got here there were 5 messages on the phone. All sales crap.

Tomorrow is back on the road in this heat. Can't wait. Off to the Grand Canyon where all the hotels are booked. We shall see.......
Old 09-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #134
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,907
Wtf I'm one week away and you propose to her? Without my consent? Isn't that the ring you got out of a vending machine Lucky you that it seems to fit!

Bonne continuation you two

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #135
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Wtf I'm one week away and you propose to her? Without my consent? Isn't that the ring you got out of a vending machine Lucky you that it seems to fit!

Bonne continuation you two
Now now...... That's blasphemy..... Punishable by.... ohhhhh... never mind.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote