Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
What's the orange tubing is it PVC conduit? Does it fit in the bag?
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
That's more than I'm willing to spend for a chair. Wish you luck in selling a bunch of them. I'll continue using cheap Walmart chairs.

How does that old saying go???? You can sell a lot of pencils for $.10 each and make a profit, but sometimes it's easier to sell just a few pencils for $10 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTCgregg View Post
Sorry to break the news to you, but the price will go UP next year - to $99.95 - not down. That's already a done-deal. The MSRP and the wholesale price to dealers for Spring '14 already went up. As a dealer, I'm not any happier about it than you are. All I can do is remind myself that BMW riders have been shelling out substantially more than $100 per Kermit chair for years, so the Helinox's price tag is relatively reasonable.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
JeffreyD
n00b

Oddometer: 1
You can get a red or green helinox chair for 71.96 (free shipping too) from campsaver.com. I'm not sure how long the sale is on.
JeffreyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
That's more than I'm willing to spend for a chair. Wish you luck in selling a bunch of them. I'll continue using cheap Walmart chairs.

How does that old saying go???? You can sell a lot of pencils for $.10 each and make a profit, but sometimes it's easier to sell just a few pencils for $10 each.

would you mind to share which particular cheap walmart chair you are talking about please?
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #20
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
What's the orange tubing is it PVC conduit? Does it fit in the bag?
Yes and yes! These are really taking off here in Australia, once you went to a rally and it was all the Kermit chairs lined up, now its Helinox's
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #21
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
Picked up a couple of these for a upcoming trip that the wife and I are taking over Labor Day weekend, these appear to be really well made and in my limited tests around the house they seem to be comfortable. I went back and forth between these and the Kermit chairs, I am glad I went with these; they pack smaller, are lighter, and I think they fit the bill for what I needed perfectly.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #22
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

It's a 20+ year old collapsible chair with aluminum legs and a very heavy duty fabric seat. They aren't sold any longer. Heavier and bulkier than these chairs but much better and lighter than any cheap modern chairs I've seen. Works fine for touring on my street bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
would you mind to share which particular cheap walmart chair you are talking about please?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
It's a 20+ year old collapsible chair with aluminum legs and a very heavy duty fabric seat. They aren't sold any longer. Heavier and bulkier than these chairs but much better and lighter than any cheap modern chairs I've seen. Works fine for touring on my street bike.
Ok,

so you are comparing a chair that is larger, heavier, and made 20 years ago, perhaps not available now at any cost, to a chair that is smaller lighter and under $75, got it.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #24
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Where did I say it was comparable? What I said was I'll continue using the Walmart chair. It did fine strapped to my old GL500 on my recent Alaska trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Ok,

so you are comparing a chair that is larger, heavier, and made 20 years ago, perhaps not available now at any cost, to a chair that is smaller lighter and under $75, got it.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

right, and I use a different chair too, it costs $9.99, folds flat doesn't weigh much..

but I have to wonder if you even read the thread title?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
Dirtpatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Sidetrack mod

Where did you get the orange conduit is it any different then 1" electrical conduit.
Dirtpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #27
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,436
My wife and I have been buying chairs to take on the bikes for a while now and came upon these in Mountain Equipment Co-op this spring.

These are as close to being perfect for the bike as you are going get. They fold into a surprisingly small pouch and their way smaller and lighter than a Kermit.

The orange conduit looks like telephone/ cable conduit and any electrician should be able to give you a couple of scraps.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,669
For those who are keen on my mod, a couple of things...........
Yes, its just 25mm elect conduit
On the feet there are 4 little spigots, you need to relieve two of them on each foot, opposite each other so the foot will slip into the conduit
Make sure you preload the conduit, that is , you should have to flex the legs a couple of mm's to get the feet to slip into the conduit, this ensures that you can just pick the chair up and carry it to another location without the conduit dropping off
That is why I went with the front and back orientation,easier to flex the legs
I've seen a few different solutions to this, but my mod is the only one I've seen where you can pick the chair up without the load spreader falling off
Hey, I might become famous with this to be known forever more as the Sidetrack mod!
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #29
Mr. Fisherman OP
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
You can always do the Sidetrack mod!

Just an extra 190 grams and all fits in the standard carry bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
For those who are keen on my mod, a couple of things...........
Yes, its just 25mm elect conduit
On the feet there are 4 little spigots, you need to relieve two of them on each foot, opposite each other so the foot will slip into the conduit
Make sure you preload the conduit, that is , you should have to flex the legs a couple of mm's to get the feet to slip into the conduit, this ensures that you can just pick the chair up and carry it to another location without the conduit dropping off
That is why I went with the front and back orientation,easier to flex the legs
I've seen a few different solutions to this, but my mod is the only one I've seen where you can pick the chair up without the load spreader falling off
Hey, I might become famous with this to be known forever more as the Sidetrack mod!
I think I will give this mod a try. Thanks for sharing... Have you tried making them just a bit wider? Thinking in sand or soft ground mine could use as much surface area as possible. I may experiment with the longest length that will fit in the stuff sack.

Oh, I don't know if it matters but in your pic your sling is upside down... Is that the Australian mod (Down under)?

Mr. Fisherman screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 09:55 PM
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #30
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
I'm 6'2", weigh 260 lbs, also love my Helinox.