User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 887
2013 GSW vs Deer

While riding my beautiful red 2013 GSW last weekend in Central PA, a massive doe decided to run right out of the brush and into my bike. I was doing about 35 mph. It literally hit me like a cruise missle. Look down, look up, oh shit, deer, bang. It hit me hard from the right, knocked my ass off and threw me down to the left, to land on my shoulder. The bike skidded off on its left side. I stood up, and had the wind knowcked right out of me, struggling to breath, I calmed myself down and took a deep breath. I guess I was doing around 35-40mph. I knew instanly my left collar bone was broken, and my ribs were fucked. My first reaction was to be severly pissed that a deer hat taken me out with only 472 miles on my new bike
:(. I;ve been riding for years, and barely have had even a close call.
Sat down, pulled myself together and called 911. An hour, and a helicopter flight later I was in the ER. Had all my gear on, Olympia Xmoto jacket (one tough mother effer, not even a tear). Xmoto pants, (tear behind knee where pad rotated, with a decent puncture wound) triumph adventure gloves (small tear) Shoei Qwest helmet (trashed)
Result - Severly pissed off. Fractured scapula, collar bone, ribs 2-5 (posterior) and a mild concussion. My gear did an amazing job. The ER staff could not believe that I had no lacerations, except the puncture wound on my knee. WEAR YOUR GEAR.
BIke is at the shop, and the adjuster thinks its mainly cosmetic damage, and can be fixed.

Watch our for deer guys, seriously, they are no effing joke.

Cheers.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
While riding my beautiful red 2013 GSW last weekend in Central PA, a massive doe decided to run right out of the brush and into my bike. I was doing about 35 mph. It literally hit me like a cruise missle. Look down, look up, oh shit, deer, bang. It hit me hard from the right, knocked my ass off and threw me down to the left, to land on my shoulder. The bike skidded off on its left side. I stood up, and had the wind knowcked right out of me, struggling to breath, I calmed myself down and took a deep breath. I guess I was doing around 35-40mph. I knew instanly my left collar bone was broken, and my ribs were fucked. My first reaction was to be severly pissed that a deer hat taken me out with only 472 miles on my new bike
:(. I;ve been riding for years, and barely have had even a close call.
Sat down, pulled myself together and called 911. An hour, and a helicopter flight later I was in the ER. Had all my gear on, Olympia Xmoto jacket (one tough mother effer, not even a tear). Xmoto pants, (tear behind knee where pad rotated, with a decent puncture wound) triumph adventure gloves (small tear) Shoei Qwest helmet (trashed)
Result - Severly pissed off. Fractured scapula, collar bone, ribs 2-5 (posterior) and a mild concussion. My gear did an amazing job. The ER staff could not believe that I had no lacerations, except the puncture wound on my knee. WEAR YOUR GEAR.
BIke is at the shop, and the adjuster thinks its mainly cosmetic damage, and can be fixed.

Watch our for deer guys, seriously, they are no effing joke.

Cheers.
Heal fast, glad to hear that you came out of this mostly okay. Deer are one of my biggest fears around here, I can deal with texting soccer moms; they very rarely run out of the underbrush along the road to take you out...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
CharlieHorse
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Glad you're ok - what a story. Did the deer get jacked?
I ride past a heard of Antelope everyday on my way home from work. I'm always nervous during that stretch.
CharlieHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,877
Glad you didn't get hurt worse & that the bike ain't too bad.
The fucking deer have taken a lot of the fun out of riding around here anymore. I still ride, but I'm on high alert for the damn things every second. Here they're out roaming around in the middle of the day...........all the time. Used to be dawn, dusk, & nighttime that you had to worry, now it's ALL the time.

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
brenter
Brenter

Oddometer: 360
deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Glad you didn't get hurt worse & that the bike ain't too bad.
The fucking deer have taken a lot of the fun out of riding around here anymore. I still ride, but I'm on high alert for the damn things every second. Here they're out roaming around in the middle of the day...........all the time. Used to be dawn, dusk, & nighttime that you had to worry, now it's ALL the time.

CW
Don't feel bad about just your area. We are in sw Missouri and the same applies here. The deer population has exploded in the last 10 to 15 years. Getting really spooky out there. I would not even think about going any distance at night.
I saw a car a month ago on a 4 land highway at 3 oclock in the afternoon that was trashed and they had just hit a deer. You have to watch for them all of the time now!!!
brenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
The Easy Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
A question from a noob - does anyone put "deer whistles" on their bike?

After doing $12k worth of damage to my van a few years ago I now have them on my "cages". Don't know if they work - but I have seen deer scurry away in the ditch when I approach.

Just wondering if they work on bikes?
The Easy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
yarg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Easy Rider View Post

After doing $12k worth of damage to my van a few years ago I now have them on my "cages". Don't know if they work - but I have seen deer scurry away in the ditch when I approach.

Deer whistles have been proven to be acoustically ineffective:

http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/021118/02111812.htm
yarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Heal well. I bagged one in May and still feeling it. I'm happy to be here though. Same scenario, deer ran up the ditch and hit me from the front left. Didn't have a chance.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Easy Rider View Post

The "science" I've read is that the chance of the deer hearing the whistle over the roar of even the quietest of bike is unlikely, and there's apparently no evidence that deer are sensitive to any particular high frequency. I had one on my old bike, but don't on the current one, and the deer - the ones I see - run from both.
I think the problem is that deer run when they perceive danger, and they run toward open space where they can make better speed - which is the roadway if there's cover next to the road. Grazers see to the sides, not forward like predators, so I guess running in the bush is tricky.
Clear bush back from the road, and don't put salt down, and there'd be way fewer animal strikes. This is my theory - or blah blah blah.

Best wishes to the OP - hope you heal fast and ride again soon.
folknride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Every state in the union should double the time deer seasons are open. The damn deer are a menace.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
tornillo
Motojunkie.

Oddometer: 370
shit man! sorry to hear...something good is coming your way
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Just had my collar bone bolted back together. I ain't gonna, it hurts like motherfu$&@r right now. The only pleasant thing about this is that the nurse is lovely, and is doing everything she can to keep the pain at bay.
Watch out for deer dudes. You DON'T want to hit one. At least the surgery is done and I can heal up and get on with my life.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,377
I had similar injuries from a dirt crash, just add the spine and spleen.
Its tough, and its very nasty for about 4 weeks.
Broken ribs suck, do not get a cold!

My spine and shoulder still bother me 2 years later, mostly the spine, all the other stuff healed up well.

I never hit a deer, or had one hit me, and hope I don't ever.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,988
Glad you are basically ok. To hell with your bike, they can be replaced. Good folk can not!!

My deer incident 2years ago also happened in PA. PA is overrun with those damn forest rats!!!!

I also had the right gear on and "only" suffered 10 broken ribs, collapsed lung and mild concussion. My gear saved my life as yours probably did yours.

Something needs to be done about the deer population. It is out of control.

Heal fast so you may ride again soon.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Rick,
How was your state of mind getting back on the bike for the first time?