Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,820
My accident was 7/27/11 and my Ducati ST3 was deerstroyed. Though I still had my GS at that time, I was ready to replace the Duc that fall. I think I needed to do that to give myself closure for the accident. That it did not beat me. It was around late Sept or early Oct when I took my first ride on the GS to ride from Cleveland to Pittsburgh to a dealer so I could take a test ride on a Multistrada 1100.

My accident was on a back road and I almost never took the turnpike to Pgh where I have lots of connections and would ride backroads all the way to the Burgh. I took the turnpike that day. The Multi did not work out for me and ended up buying a Bonnieville T100 locally a couple of weeks later. I put about a 1000 miles on the Bonnie before winter, mostly day rides.

Before the accident I was riding at least 10,000 miles a year. In the two years since the accident, I have only ridden about 3,000 miles per season. It is funny, but when I am riding I am OK and ride with confidence, but the desire to get on and ride or go on tours has been knocked out of me a bit.

Ironically, my first big ride after the accident was last summer to BYOB and not 3 miles to the motel on the way down, I came around a bend to see a deer in the middle of the road. I remember thinking to myself, NO, NOT AGAIN!! and somehow I did all the right things, braked and swerved to miss the bastard. The rest of the trip was uneventful and again I rode with confidence the rest of the weekend and since. But again, I just don't seem to have the burning desire to ride the big rides like I use to. This season I think I have put more miles on my Vespa in the city than on my Bonnie touring. I sold the GS earlier this year.

I still crave reading about bikes and I am sure that my desire to ride and tour will come back and my mileage will start creeping back up.

So I guess what I am saying, it will take some time to get back to where I was before the accident. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Rick G

PS My buddy who was behind me and witnessed the incident was even more spooked than I was. He sold both of his bikes the following spring and did not ride at all last year. This spring however his "ride" came back and bought another bike, but he too is not riding as much. I guess you can become as traumatized seeing a bad accident as you can from being in one.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #17
amknightrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
riding after hitting deer

I am still recovering from aug. 9 deer and bmw collision. The desire to ride like I did before the wreck is not there anymore. I rode 20,000 a year up until this happened. Spent 25 days on a road trip last summer. The love of riding is still in me but the desire to ride on the deer infested roads of America is gone. The more I read from members here, and the deer, will keep me on my dirt bikes and not replace my street ADV. bike. Been riding since 1962 but will not be riding back roads on anything less than a pickup. I wish you well on your recovery and all others that have recently been thru this as it is more wide spread than one thinks until you start researching it. Alan
amknightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,631
I have to ride. And I have been dirt riding since my last bad crash, I just picked a better tool (tw200). Now I am looking for something low, light under suspended and low powered...

I cant think of a deer proof bike, the only thing I think you can do is limit riding in places and times where deer are likely to be, and that is very erratic....
Not over riding your sight lines and looking for the bastards also helps, but if they are going to banzai you, what can you do about it?

They are all around, even in my yard sometimes, but do not seem to get hit much. They seem a bit street smart, maybe the wild ones are stupid?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
Dang, sorry to hear.

Same thing on my 2012 Guzzi Stelvio @ 5200 miles. Doing 60, deer hit ~me~ in the ribs, took me out. I win, deer is dead. Locals were gutting it before they loaded me in the bus.
Broken fibula, bruised ribs, splenectomy in the ER, 8 days in ICU/rehab. Fully recovered and riding new 2013 Stelvio. Arai helmet saved my life, Klim gear saved my skin (EMS cut it off me at site...NOOOooooo!)

Sometimes you don't hit them, they hit you.

Something to read if you are post crash. Helps explain a few things: http://www.bikepsych.com/
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 635
Thanks for the insights guys. I can't not ride. Even as I sit here through the pain of recovery, I am dreaming of riding my GSW, it's honestly the best bike I've ever owned - as I'm sure all of us would say with any brand new bike. My new helmet has already been ordered, (Shoei RF1100) to replace my Qwest which saved my life. I know that the first few rides, I am going to be shit scared, but I can't let fear dominate my life. I think another think is that I will feel much better when my bike is home, and in the garage. It will bring some closure and the bike is probably some sort of metaphor for me. One things for sure, I will never ride through a state forest alone again, and I will be staying the hell away from any deer infested area - difficult to do here in PA, but the state game lands are teeming with them.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
My conclusion is deer hunters are not very effective.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #22
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 635
Update: stitches came out today. Collar bone is healing very well, it's back in one piece! Doc was pleased. Another 3-4 weeks and I can ride. :) Probly gonna need that time as my arm feels weak as hell. Bike is being repaired, but the shop is still waiting on the handlebars from Germany. Ribs still hurt a little, scapula totally healed. Here is my tag:
Ride safe brothers, wear your gear, for real, once you go down, you will be an ATTGATT rider forever. Fortunately, I was that kind of rider already. And please, you hunters, take out as many deer as possible this season!
Cheers.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #23
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,820
Glad you are on the mend! Hope you can ride again soon.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 279
Glad you are OK. I hit a deer last summer. Luckily I was pulling away from a stop sign so I was only going about 25 when the deer jumped in front of me. I hit her in the ass literally knocking the shit out of her. Didn't go down, though. Broke the left panel and front fender on my wee storm. The worst thing was all the shit on me and the bike! There was a lady standing in front of her house and witnessed the whole thing. She offered me her hose to clean up a bit! This year I've only ridden about 4,000 miles-usually I ride 12,000 or more. My riding buddy can't quite understand why I'm so tentative out there. I'm going to sell my Tiger next Spring and hold onto the Strom but will limit my riding. Just can't seem to shake it.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
PharaohScoots
Twist-N-GO

Oddometer: 36
I was out last weekend in the country, where there are lots of horses kept at homes there. I was just approaching a turn glanced right and thought a horse was running along the road. Nope, biggest doe I have ever seen, lucky for me she veered into the woods but could have just as easily bound in my path. I have had two close calls this year, and want to credit the deer whistles I put on in the Spring for causing the deers to retreat, but it could also be luck.

Any of you inmates have deer whistles on your bikes?

Hope the recovery continues to go well.
PharaohScoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Hang Tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Just had my collar bone bolted back together. I ain't gonna, it hurts like motherfu$&@r right now. The only pleasant thing about this is that the nurse is lovely, and is doing everything she can to keep the pain at bay.
Watch out for deer dudes. You DON'T want to hit one. At least the surgery is done and I can heal up and get on with my life.
Yah man it's serious business... I've never had a close call despite living in NH and outside of Pittsburgh.... but it really is Russian Roulette sad to say. But glad your generally ok.... best of luck!
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
JHB141
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
No whistles on the bike but I did have them on two cars when I lived in an area that was thick with deer. They seemed to spook more easily, like the whistles distracted them, and then the car coming scared them a few seconds later. After I took the set off the second car, they wouldn't spook, just look up as I came by and go back to grazing, so I don't use them anymore. Plus, a guy who worked in the audio biz told me that they have to be at least 3 feet apart to work right, something about the harmonics.
JHB141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
I can't not ride.... I know that the first few rides, I am going to be shit scared, but I can't let fear dominate my life.
Sorry to hear about your accident. They are a real confidence buster. Years ago, I had a nasty low-side (@ night, on-ramp, 2up, diesel/hydraulic fluid spill). Although I healed pretty quickly from the roadrash and bruises...I wouldn't ride for months. I was too scared. But eventually I ventured out on two wheels again..."just to the store for a carton of milk" , or "just to work", and finally a longer ride to "help a buddy with his suspension setup". It wasn't until we headed out on a multi-day ride that the confidence made its way back to 100%.

I came to realize that: 1) motorcycling is inherently risky, 2) sometimes regardless of (our perceived) skill level things happen that are outside of our control (i.e. no amount of scanning ahead, swerving, emergency braking, etc. could have prevented you from hitting that deer), and 3) the best thing I can do is be dressed for the crash.

HTH,
spaceman
Old 09-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #29
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB141 View Post
No whistles on the bike but I did have them on two cars when I lived in an area that was thick with deer. They seemed to spook more easily, like the whistles distracted them, and then the car coming scared them a few seconds later. After I took the set off the second car, they wouldn't spook, just look up as I came by and go back to grazing, so I don't use them anymore. Plus, a guy who worked in the audio biz told me that they have to be at least 3 feet apart to work right, something about the harmonics.
The National Park Service did a trial on them on their vehicles back in the 90's when I worked for them. They kept statistics on deer strikes, found the whistles made absolutely no difference.

I had the whistles on my private vehicles for some time before and during the test. Took them off after the results came in. I do wish someone would find something that works to cause deer to run the other way (besides a firearm). Deer are thick around here. I usually see several every time I go ride in the country.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #30
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
After 45-years of riding without hitting a deer, I joined the club a week-or-so ago when I hit a small deer just S of Silver Lake Oregon in the Oregon Outback. Fortunately, it was a small one and I hit it a glancing blow - didn't go down and only contact with the bike I could ascertain was the front wheel. I suspect I broke one of its rear legs.

During a 10-day tour of OR, NV, UT, CO, WY, and ID, I saw perhaps ten or so deer. No close calls, but there were a couple times where I'd come around a corner and one would be standing in or near the road. I don't mind rolling the dice, but at some point the odds become too great.

I've mostly been depending on avoiding dawn/dusk/night riding and slowing down in the deeper woods. I'm starting to have my doubts that this is enough to have a risk level I can live with. I may have a small convertible in my future.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote