Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Wicked Is this worth a new lease on life? / UPDATED :):)

What you are looking at is a 1988 GSXR 1100. The owner calls it a street fighter, I call it bastardized.

So I've been driving by this thing parked by the curb twice a day for the past 2 months. I always wanted an old 4 cylinder Japanese bike. This isn't exactly what I'm after but it still stimulates my imagination. I'm think either a cafe racer or a scrambler conversion. I'm not big on cafe racers but this is a pretty good candidate imho.

The bike starts and runs fine. Sounds good, everything works but looking at the tires it has definitely been used as a track bike. It was originally sold in the UK, owner's family brought it over 20 years ago. It has 27000 miles. I'd rather not say how much they're asking cause it might cause you to puke but I know I could get it cheap cause they're moving to the west coast and they don't want to haul it over. Owner claims it only need "tidying up" but to me it looks more like a total overhaul. Can't see the condition of any of the fluids cause non of the sights are see though anymore.

If I do feel suicidal and bring this thing home.... Can I still get parts for this?

What would you do with it other than take it to the scrap yard?

zozie screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 07:26 AM Reason: got a different bike:)
zozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 957
Scrap yard? Yee of little faith, that looks to be what I feast upon... bikes that need precious little more than a basic service to be reliable and safe runners.

There's a dedicated forum for those bikes, http://old-skool-suzuki.proboards.com/ and they've always had a pretty healthy level of activity. Parts will be hit or miss, but you shouldn't have too hard of a time with maintenance bits or engine bits, cosmetics will be near impossible... not a worry if you're thinking of going custom.

I remember taking a ride on an 86 GSXR1100... OMG. Granted, that was way back when they were still nearly king of the hill (and I was coming off a Honda CB1100f, not exactly a slouch).

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 212
That bike looks like nothing that couldn't be cured with a thorough tune and some cosmetic surgery. Just please don't try and make it into a scrambler, that bike is a legendary street warrior and would be wasted with scrambler tires.

I would get the maintenance up to snuff then ride the hell out of it. It's a Suzuki so it will never break and there are plenty of cheap parts available.

If you've never ridden a big bore four I strongly recommended it.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
It's going to get cold soon and it looks to be a great winter project.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,392
it's a rat bike as is. kinda kool as a rat, as long as the tires & mechanical are good. take a picture of your drivers license.... that way you'll have something to remember it by
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
I am thinking of building a street fighter close to that sort of build sports bike with high bars proper lights and can go 2up . If it was me it would get we tyres and a service then ride the thing.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone know whether it is possible to change the fluid level sights on the brake fluid reservoir or the whole thing has to go? This is the bike that kinda needs nothing and everything. Looks good from a distance but all the small screws and bolts are rusted. The more I think about it the more I am leaning forward to keeping it as a street fighter and if fiances allow doing a performance rebuild on the engine.....
zozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 212
If it runs good with no funny noises DON'T mess with the engine. The rule of thumb with riding and wrenching on old bikes is if it isn't broke don't fix it!

Take care of the stuff that needs attention. Like the chain, tires, brakes, etc. Get it to run and ride how you like then fuddle with cosmetics or performance upgrades.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Thumb I would buy it and ride the tires of it!

http://www.practicalsportsbikesmag.co.uk/ is your friend.

Probably every single edition of it has a gsxr rebuild just like the sept edition .

Please just don`t build a cafe racer/scrambler/streetfighter out of it there are multitudes of fairing kits for it around (5 sec of googling http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/suzuz/GSXR_RGV.htm)

The bike is a bullish brute the engines are really grunty with lotsa power everywhere and really characteristic and enjoyable and you can still get pretty much everything for them (at least in the EU)

Just from the tires u can`t really tell if it was raced or not (look for ground down pegs, side covers, frame scratches, safety wired bolts etc.) but even if it was if the PO had a minimum of mechanical aptitude and changed oil and filter regularly it won`t really have an effect on a 27.000 mile engine. I had about same on an R6 when I sold it more than 70% of it on racetrack without any problems at all. I would be much more concerned if it was used as a streetfighter than a racebike.

Just take it for a spin, start engine cold and look if it blows smoke, notchiness (sp?) wobliness or movement in the headstock, same with front wheel,hairline cracks in the front brake frame around the head, blown forks (wheelies stoppies,burnouts) look the same for the rear susp as well. Burnt melted rubber is really hard to get off from everywhere so you can check out if he was a big fan of burn-outs. Ask him the regular questions when were the carbs balanced, oil changed, what type of oil etc. just to get a measure if he was doing maintenance or not.

I think with a bit of fiddling it can be a good bike to fly around!

If you already own it good luck you gonna love it`s easy to work on and turn it into a money pit ! About the brake+ clutch mc I think you`re better off buying a new one (maybe ones with brembo stamped on them ) but you can buy full rebuild kits from suzuki.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
What I would do?

All fluids filters replace,brake overhaul, carb strip clean balance, check grease replace bearings, as best I remember later model USD forks are straight swap if the front is blown,replace rear shock huge aftermarket in the UK, depending on condition new chain sprockets, NEW tires

Optional: remove fairing and set it on fire, throw away that straight handlebar, maybe pour some paintstripper on the tank as well and get a half decent fairing on it.

probably a weekends job and not a huge amount of money

enjoy and ride
Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,128
First thing to do is make a copy of your driver license so you'll remember what it looked like...
Fun bike and worth it if you can get it for less than 1000$ (US).
dbarale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,463
Looks like a huge commitment in both time and money to me. The busted cooling fins and a front tire worn to to the edges suggest it had a hard life so unless you want a project I'd take a pass.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,392
ya,,, and then what.. buy some penis enhancement pills?? I keed... I keed. if its pretty cheap get it... nothing like a Japanese liter bike for thrills. its a good experience
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 957
Am I the only one who thinks "poseur" when I see track tires like that on a streetbike? They're nearly always race take-offs bought on the cheap and then slapped on a streetbike to make it Look like the owner has a clue how to ride. Both the front and rear look worn flat down the middle in the photos.

As for the broken fins... there's a reason it was turned into a 'fighter in the first place. That damage almost certainly happened under the watch of a caring owner, who then sold it and the bike was "transformed".

I'm all for expecting the worst so one isn't surprised, but you have to toss some Occams Razor into the mix as well. My personal threshold on that bike would be in the $1000 range. I doubt one could sell it for over $2000, and it'll need ~$400 just to replace needed consumables and get it safe, not even accounting for time spent wrenching. I don't like getting into a bike for more than it can be sold, just goes against all my sensibilities.

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
Am I the only one who thinks "poseur" when I see track tires like that on a streetbike? They're nearly always race take-offs bought on the cheap and then slapped on a streetbike to make it Look like the owner has a clue how to ride. Both the front and rear look worn flat down the middle in the photos.

As for the broken fins... there's a reason it was turned into a 'fighter in the first place. That damage almost certainly happened under the watch of a caring owner, who then sold it and the bike was "transformed".

I'm all for expecting the worst so one isn't surprised, but you have to toss some Occams Razor into the mix as well. My personal threshold on that bike would be in the $1000 range. I doubt one could sell it for over $2000, and it'll need ~$400 just to replace needed consumables and get it safe, not even accounting for time spent wrenching. I don't like getting into a bike for more than it can be sold, just goes against all my sensibilities.
+1, and good catch on the tires ~ I totally agree with you on that one.

IMHO, if it could be purchased for a song, change the bars, lose the fugly headlight fairing and give it a healthy tune up. If it could be ridden at that point then you'd have something.
zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote