Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Garrett828 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Eh? 1991 Dr350 Purchase Advice

Hello All,

Very new here! But when faced with this decision, I knew where to turn! This upcoming week, I will be looking at a street legal 1991 dr350 with 3628 miles for $1500 (California prices), but the gentleman that owns it says in order to start it, you have to mess with the adjustment screws, turning the idle up, then back down; not the choke, as the carb has a bigger jet installed. He says it also has an aftermarket muffler, and the top end has been rebuilt as well as the carb...Also, and this is a bit strange in my opinion, he says it doesn't have a battery but apparently the lights work! Anyone think it's worth the hassle??? Might this be a Frankenstein? Weren't the dirt-only models battery-less? Thank you in advance!
Garrett828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
SuzukiScottie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Personally, i like bikes to be near stock if possible.

I'd let this one go unless you're prepared for some spanner work.

It's an old bike with what looks like suspiciously low mileage, yet lots of tinkering seems to be have been done. For what exactly? A few thousand miles? Seems strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
SuzukiScottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Garrett828 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks Scottie!

Thanks Scottie! That's a great point and what I needed to hear. I'll hold out for something more stock!
Garrett828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Agreeded. Might want to hold out for a electric start too. Is this a dirt bike that has been converted to street and plated. Beware of these as Ca no longer allows plated dirt bikes. Sure some poeple claim that they have a fleet of plated dirt bikes, but when it comes time to register it at the DMV they might not agree.

Many mod the air box and muffler,then add bigger jets. From my experiance this is makes more noise, burns more gas, and make the bike smell really bad, but hardly makes any more power. IMO you should remove the seat and take a look at the airbox. I should not have a giant 3x3" square hacked in the top of it.

Where in Ca are you? I know of many for sale.

The DR350 thread in thumpers is where you should be reading/posting.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
bl00
Dude, what's mine say!?

Oddometer: 65
I used to have one and if everything was in perfect tune (to my abilities), the gas was fresh, it had been ridden the day before, and the planets aligned then it would kickstart after 4-6 kicks. Wait a week between rides and it was 20-40+ kicks. The most miserable starting motorcycle I've ever had.
bl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Seems like some love the kick start and some hate it. From what I gather you save about 30-35 lbs with the kick starter. Carb tuning and starting procedure make the difference between a one kick and a 100 kick bike.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Everyone and their mother will post up about how easy it is, "you're doing it wrong" blah, blah, blah about kickstarting the DR350.

I had a 1991 DR350S from brand new, and it was the suckiest, worst bastard of a pig to kickstart bike, I've ever owned.

Cold, not tooo bad. Stinking hot, not toooo bad. cool-warm? warm-warm? warm-hot? UGH!

Many a rush hour commuter had a great guffaw at the motorcyclist pleading, cursing, threatening, weeping, shrieking himself hoarse at a dead inanimate lump of metal in the road, on the sidewalk, in parking lots, over the years.

I tried everything; bone stock, rejetted, Uni filter, SuperTrapp, different techniques, etc., etc. omg it was horrible. I lasted about 7 years owning that thing and I was so happy to see the backside of it, I didn't mind taking a huge loss.

I'd never own one of those models again without a starter button.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,426
steep price on a kick only.
Pass on it.

My 95 was awesome once I pulled the stock carb.
Look for another.
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
I've owned quite a few DR350's, never had an electric start model. The 90-93 kick start models are not my favorite. I try to avoid them, but have got quite a few of them over the years because they are cheap.

Anyway, you can eliminate the battery by installing a capacitor in it's place. For $1500 I would pass on this model.