Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
ComfortablyNumb OP
Gravel Is Good

Oddometer: 85
A KLR and a KTM go East, one does not return...guess which one?

After last years inaugural trip around Lake Superior to see if we were compatible riding partners, we held court over a bottle of Scotch and the jury decided that we could definitely make it to at least 8 days. "How about we try for two weeks Dave?" I said. After some discussion I said "Well, I will be retiring in a year, how about we try for three weeks so I can get the feel for a more extended absence from work?" "She will never go for it" said Dave. After a time, I built up some courage and one evening in the fall I said "honey, how would you like a little vacation on the east coast, we could see Halifax, Charlottetown, Lunenburg......?" "That would be wonderful!" she replied. "Uh, there is one catch, Dave and I would sort of meet you and his wife there". "It's that damn bike again, isn't it?" she replied.

"That Damn bike"

2008 KLR 650 - GREEN

ComfortablyNumb screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 05:07 PM
ComfortablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,356
Nope, no room for a wife on that bike

DW
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
ComfortablyNumb OP
Gravel Is Good

The miserable winter we experienced in northern Ontario was made tolerable by the many nights of planning the route, plotting campgrounds and liquor stores, researching new and improved equipment and, as you who have travelled know, the ANTICIPATION! The plan was to leave Timmins and swing up into northern Quebec and down to the St. Lawrence, (cross that river when we got to it), ride the Gaspe Peninsula and stick to the coast of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to get to the holy grail - The Cabot Trail. Once accomplished, Marine Drive along the south shore of Nova Scotia was on tap and then meet the wives in Halifax for a weeks vacation of points of interest before heading home through New Brunswick up along the Maine border and follow the St. Lawrence until Trois Riviere where it would be time to turn north.

I am happy to say, MOST of that happened.

Starting mileage

2008 KLR 650 - GREEN
Old 09-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
ComfortablyNumb OP
Gravel Is Good

Day 1 - Timmins, Ontario to Taschereau, Quebec - 214 kms

Route - Highway 101, 388, 390

We actually decided at the last minute to leave a day early therefore there was no pressure hence the short ride.

Happy to be on the road

Now I have to confess that I bring Dave along cause he has the uncanny ability to get us discounts on campgrounds, motels and meals and, the fact that we were travelling in northern Quebec (he speaks French) would mean I would require an interpreter as there is basically no "hinglish" spoken where we were going. Taschereau was such a place.

Day one campground, clean toilets, hot showers and an excellent restaurant.

Hey, it wasn't my idea to set up in the playground but I did keep a close eye on my buddy, I promise.

I had a difficult time carrying this bottle on my bike due to it's size (larger than my tent)

Now I told you about Dave's abilities and it was not long before he wandered away and they yelled that dinner was ready (and free). The Savard family (Charles, Ida, Francine, Claude and Janine) had been talked into feeding us and we feasted on a Quebec delicacy known as "Queoun" (fried potato and baloney chunks) with salted pork rinds on the side. Absolutely delicious!

I did a lot of smiling and head nodding but thanks to my interpreter I was able to smile and nod.

Now, as all of you bike travellers know, we are treated like rock stars and this trip was no different. The unofficial Mayor of the park had to come over and get our picture (smile and nod).

Here is Dave telling Sylvain that I don't speak French. Didn't matter, he just kept talking to me.

Now one of the things Dave likes to do is bask in the rock star status and meet everyone so that he can get star treatment. We visited everyone in the park (lots of smiling and nodding) and were introduced to a game using washers instead of horseshoes. It took many drinks to meet all those people. I think they were laughing at his white legs.

It was now very dark and Dave was to now meet his handlebars. It is debateable whether it was the darkness, his boots or whiskey that caused this meeting but who knows. The black eye faded in time but not the deep cut, couldn't hide that at the impending meeting with the wife!

2008 KLR 650 - GREEN

ComfortablyNumb screwed with this post 09-11-2014 at 05:22 PM
Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 AM   #5
Tyrepower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Having a giggle and a laugh at your adventure so far. Keep it coming, if for know one else at least I'm following your story with anticipation. And oh so familiar with the nod and smile trick. Did that around Italy for 6 months a few years ago with the wife, Italian by birth and very fluent.

Cheers Richo

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my bikes for what I "told her" they cost!!!

It's all good fun until someone gets hurt......... then it's hilarious!!!
Tyrepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,361
Subscribed.

I think I know how this one is going to end, just a hunch. You could substitute "BMW" for one of those bikes and probably end up with the same (predicted) outcome, yet to be determined, certainly, right?

"had been talked into feeding us and we feasted on a Quebec delicacy known as "Queoun" (fried potato and baloney chunks) with salted pork rinds on the side. Absolutely delicious!"

Oh, by the way, YOUR GOING TO DIE -

but finish the story first!
Old 09-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 396
My guess is the KTM doesn't make it.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
ComfortablyNumb OP
Gravel Is Good

Stay tuned fellow ADV bretheren.....

As an aside, I was surprised to learn that one of the most prized items on this trip, for me, was a $3 "sleep mask". If you are camping in a tent, I have found it is a must. The other item I was thankful for was a simple throttle lock.

I will give my thoughts on some of the other equipment/gear I purchased for this trip such as boots, ear plugs, etc.

2008 KLR 650 - GREEN
Old 09-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Another vote for (uh, against, I guess, actually) the KTM...
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Old Codger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
+2
08 DR 650
05 R1200RT
Old Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
hyper7driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
Nope, no room for a wife on that bike

DW

She can hold on to the windshield and ride on the handlebars.......
hyper7driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
ComfortablyNumb OP
Gravel Is Good

Day 2 - Taschereau to Chapais, Quebec - 392 kms

Route: Hwy 111, 386, 397 and 113

The day started off slow as Dave couldn't get his helmet on or see out of one eye. We decided breakfast was in order and hit the on site restaurant. Now I know that an egg is an ouef so that is what I ordered and that is what I got! Dave just mumbled and moaned and low and behold, he got eggs and sausages so now I knew how to order that!

We hit Highway 397 which has a nice packed 60 kms gravel section which is a shortcut and we had no trouble running at 100 to 110 kms/hr. I let Dave lead and promised to pick up the parts.

Highway 113 proved to be quite boring so... to stay awake I had Dave run beside me and sure enough, the racket was sufficient enough to stop from nodding off.

We pulled into the only campground in Chapais - Camping Opemiska - which had toilets, hot showers and a restaurant. I decided to again try to order dinner on my own. I knew that "hot" was "chaud" and "dog" was "chien" and I also know everthing in French is backwards so.... I ordered a "chienchaud" and was rewarded quite nicely! Hey, this is getting easy.

Another important French lesson for you all so pay attention. Rum and Coke requires something to complete it (ice) so I ordered "glace" and was rewarded with enough to last a few hours, life was good!

That night we took a walk around the park looking to cash in on the "rock star" status but I think someone called ahead from the last park to warn them cause no one wanted anything to do with us. I did hear a group talking about a guy with white legs who camped suspiciously close to children's playgrounds though so maybe that's what it was.

Campsite at Lake Opemiska

2008 KLR 650 - GREEN

ComfortablyNumb screwed with this post 09-11-2014 at 06:40 PM
Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
ComfortablyNumb OP
Gravel Is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
Another vote for (uh, against, I guess, actually) the KTM...
Patience my son, all will be revealed, I am sooooo enjoying this!

2008 KLR 650 - GREEN
Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,810
In

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote