AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc View Post
Just discovered..trying to catch up.
Happy to have you following along

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsandbagger View Post
Sounds like you're getting close to a border crossing. Love that part of Mexico!
I'm crossing into Belize in 9 days but not with the moto...long story I'll explain later
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #152
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
By the way I turned 50 this year, how old are you?
70 at present. Had a crash in West Texas last May that probably aged me some more though. Still in the healing phase with Phase one shoulder separation and some damage to the rotary cup. The bandit faired better than I with just a smash tank and broke turn signal. Avoiding a deer that jump out in front of me in a curve in the Davis Mountains was the culprit. Watch them animals, they dangerous. LOL!
Just catching up this afternoon on your trip. Lovin' it. Thanks for all the time and work of sharing.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)

achesley screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 02:15 PM
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #153
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
70 at present. Had a crash in West Texas last May that probably aged me some more though. Still in the healing phase with Phase one shoulder separation and some damage to the rotary cup. The bandit faired better than I with just a smash tank and broke turn signal. Avoiding a deer that jump out in front of me in a curve in the Davis Mountains was the culprit. Watch them animals, they dangerous. LOL!
Just catching up this afternoon on your trip. Lovin' it. Thanks for all the time and work of sharing.
Ouch! Glad you are healing Ok.
Animals are my biggest fear while riding. Lots of em on the roads here.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #154
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 28 Filling Up My Top Ten List

Day 28 September 20
Juchitan to San Cristobal de las Casas 325km

It was a dark and stormy night..... just kidding.

The rain did fall all night however. The plastic draping the TV was filling up with water in little pockets formed by the folds. My companion all night was a constant drip, drip, drip onto the cheap table at the foot of the bed. In my current setting I thought it ironic that the only “regular” TV that I could watch without excessive white noise was the Cartoon Network. The TV could have gone up in a shower of sparks at any time if the plastic failed in its duty. I left it on despite the perceived risk. The room had no windows save for a one foot square glass block. I stared at it waiting for some sunlight to come through.

Don't forget to fuel up Dave!

By the way, over 50% of the photos you see are from this little Nikon AW100. One of my best gadget investments ever.

AW100_front

Sunrise was at 7:30 and I was on the road in steady rain by 7:50. For 150 kilometers the rain kept coming but I was staying dry except for my arms. The area was very flat and roads straight for the first 100km. It’s pretty obvious it gets windy here evidenced by the hundreds of wind generators. The road turns north at Tapanatepec and heads for the hills. The short climb started a temperature drop and I stopped to put on a layer of clothing.

Soon after entering the state of Chiapas the pavement widened, the rain stopped and i was absolutely enjoying the ride.

Arriving in Tuxtla Gutierrez I encountered an education reform protest on the main route. This time it was easy to bypass on a side street. The free road from Tuxtla Gutierrez was incredible. Another ride for the books., the scenery was stunning lush and green. This road is a bikers dream.

Not sure what these are. Plums?

My new riding buddy. Too bad he's deceased.

Thanks to my new pal Sjoerd I found the Posada San Fransisco without any trouble and settled in to get caught up on many days of blog posts.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #155
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
Delorme Inreach

I saw one of these and thought it would be the best yet for remote riding. As far as I remember it doesn't have to be linked to a cell phone to text.....is that true? Can you describe the costs using this? You're the first person I've heard of actually using it!

Ride on! You've inspired me to pull out my old Spanish lessons!
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #156
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
I saw one of these and thought it would be the best yet for remote riding. As far as I remember it doesn't have to be linked to a cell phone to text.....is that true? Can you describe the costs using this? You're the first person I've heard of actually using it!

Ride on! You've inspired me to pull out my old Spanish lessons!
You don't need a cell phone to use the InReach. The model I have allows you to send 3 different preset messages from the device. The new InReach SE model has an integrated keyboard so a second device is not required at all. I like the one I have because I can use the good keyboard on my cell phone. You can also use it with an ipad. The Canadian subscriptions differ from the U.S. I am on the expedition plan 250 text messages and unlimited tracking. A tracking point is used each time it plots your location once every 10 minutes. So if you rode for 10 hours in a day you'd use 60 tracking points.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #157
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 29 Maintenance Day

Day 29 San Cristobal de las Casas

Last night as I was sitting in the common area of the hotel some loud music and singing started nearby. It sounded like it was coming from the parking garage of the hotel. This “garage” is spotless with a tile floor and a shrine at one end. At first I thought I was parking in a church but there are parking signs that verified I was okay there. I thought I’d better investigate so I went down the stairs and peered through the garage door. The place was full of people standing and singing their hearts out. A man was leading them over a loud PA system with great enthusiasm. And Skelly was sitting there almost engulfed by people having their weekly Friday night gathering. She was apparently quite safe.

The goal today was to change the oil and filter on the bike. On the way in I passed a large department store so I made that my first stop to see if I could find supplies. I did find some oil but decided I would take a quick trip to the two bike shops I passed to see if they could do it for me. I was concerned about doing it myself in the nice parking garage fearing spillage. Neither shop was able to help so back I went to the Super Mercado. I found a catch pan, paper towel, a funnel and some oil for a grand total of 250 pesos. The two litres of Bardahl 20w50 motorcycle oil cost 150. With great care I successfully did an oil change and spilled not a drop of oil.

The oil change consumed the morning and I had not had a meal yet. I grabbed my camera and set out looking for food and the historical district. The Enchiladas de Mole were great but as I ate the rain started and did not let up. I made my way back to the hotel soaking wet and with few photos to show for my efforts.
Although disappointed that I have not seen much of San Cristobal, it’s been a productive and relaxing few days.

I’m looking forward to seeing the Palenque Ruins in the next few days.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #158
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 231
Clean

Let us know if you think that is the cleanest city in Mexico.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #159
DRV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Great Adventure! have subscribed to follow along!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #160
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
You couldn't have found worst weather if you tried. True ADV stuff right there

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #161
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

No Internet in my hotel folks, update in a few days. It's raining extremely hard at the moment. But I'm dry in a restaurant.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #162
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsandbagger View Post
Let us know if you think that is the cleanest city in Mexico.

So far Querétaro is winning but I haven't seen Palenque yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV View Post
Great Adventure! have subscribed to follow along!

Thanks for joining the madness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
You couldn't have found worst weather if you tried. True ADV stuff right there
It's raining pretty darn good right now. More beer to wait it out

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #163
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
InReach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
You don't need a cell phone to use the InReach. The model I have allows you to send 3 different preset messages from the device. The new InReach SE model has an integrated keyboard so a second device is not required at all. I like the one I have because I can use the good keyboard on my cell phone. You can also use it with an ipad. The Canadian subscriptions differ from the U.S. I am on the expedition plan 250 text messages and unlimited tracking. A tracking point is used each time it plots your location once every 10 minutes. So if you rode for 10 hours in a day you'd use 60 tracking points.
Thanks for the link - looks like a great service.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #164
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 30 Last of Mexico's Mountains

Day 30 San Cristobal de las Casas to Palenque

My routine is getting pretty tight. The night before a riding day I gather all the stuff I’ve spread out and pack. The next morning I can get going in as little as 15 minutes with two trips to the bike. Today was no different and I was at a Pemex station fueling up by 8:30. My goal today was Margaritta and Ed’s Cabanas. The evening before I had received an email from Paul saying that they were in Palenque in a nice spot. They were going to be there one more night so I set out to find them.

Breakfast

Tiendas like this one are everywhere. The amount of junk food on the shelves is incredible

The ride was once again spectacular with very few straight sections of pavement. The curves in the road were extra sharp and the topes were abundant. There was no time to relax all day and I found myself longing for a straight bit for a break. As I neared Palenque the temperature rose to 38 degrees C and huge clouds were forming all around me. It seemed that the pattern of rain in the afternoon was going to hold. I arrived in Palenque about 1:30 and did a little trip around town before looking for the hotel. By the time I found the cabanas the rain had begun and half an hour later it was torrential. I sat under cover in a restaurant watching water from the swollen creek approach the patio. The last time I saw rain like that was 1987 on Black Friday in Edmonton. Fortunately this was not a tornado, just an afternoon cloudburst.

Paul and Asli found me later in the afternoon and we all went to have some cold drinks and get caught up. It was great seeing them again and interesting comparing notes while we listened to live music in the open air jungle restaurant.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #165
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 31 Palenque Ruinas

Day 31 Palenque Ruins

Today was tourist day for me. I spent the morning touring the ruins at Palenque and then rode out to see a popular waterfall.
The ruins are really well preserved and I spent over 2 hours climbing and walking around them. I decided not to pay a guide but rather just read the information signs and soaked it all in. It was a glorious morning in the jungle.

The ride out to the waterfall was 20km back on the road I came in on yesterday. I paid 10 pesos to access the road to the waterfall and then 1 km along another 20 pesos to see the falls. You pay for almost everything in Mexico.

I spent the afternoon back in my cabana relaxing and having a nice nap.