Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #196
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,667
My sister and hubby have 22 acres in Belize on a jungle mountain near San Ignacio. They have a lovely home with a pool and recently added an outdoor kitchen for entertaining on the patio. There are ruins nearby. Let me know if you'll be that way. They beg for visitors from Canada/USA.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #197
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
My sister and hubby have 22 acres in Belize on a jungle mountain near San Ignacio. They have a lovely home with a pool and recently added an outdoor kitchen for entertaining on the patio. There are ruins nearby. Let me know if you'll be that way. They beg for visitors from Canada/USA.
I most certainly will be passing through San Ignacio. I expect to be there Oct 11 or 12th. I would love to visit them.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #198
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
I most certainly will be passing through San Ignacio. I expect to be there Oct 11 or 12th. I would love to visit them.
I'll send her a message tonight and report back. I don't expect to hear back until tomorrow with respect to time zones. They do have internet in the jungle but it's getting late there. They would surly pick you up. They have a Toyota Tacoma and hubby recently bought himself a dual sport bike, maybe a Honda of some sort. I can't remember. A toy to plod and around and bomb into town for groceries.

RedDogAlberta screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 08:13 PM
RedDogAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #199
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Mexico Remembered

banderamexico

Mexico Recap

After crossing into Mexico on September 1st I spent 29 days in Mexico. It has gone by so quickly and was wonderful. There is so much more of Mexico to see and I’ll be back for certain.
Here are some stats for my travel in Mexico (for you Vulcans out there)
Kilometers ridden: 5900km
Average km per day: 195km
Fuel used: 270 liters
Fuel consumption: 4.59l/100km
Fuel cost: $260 @ $0.95 per liter (All but one thankful using 87 Octane Magna)
Hotel costs: $656
Food (includes water and beer): $435
Total Cost (includes ferry, tire)(not including tourist visa, TVIP, bike insurance): $1960
Average cost per day: $67

Some thoughts

This is a large country. Taking the most direct route from Tecate, it is 4100km to where I am now. A month is certainly not enough time to see it all but I got a great glimpse of the place, the food and the people. Everyone I have met has been kind and helpful and at no time have I felt in danger or threatened. It is a country of contrast: dry desert to lush jungle; clean modern cities and littered broken down villages; poverty and wealth.

Two of the topics that went through my mind often as I rode along were litter and dogs. In some communities there is obvious pride in the cleanliness of the streets. In others piles of garbage lay in people’s front yards and beside their shops. Maybe I am naive but why can’t folks just take a few minutes and pick the junk up especially when it is right in front of you every day. Dogs are everywhere and many of them are strays. The look on their faces is so sad. They appear to be defeated, starving and tired. Many of them are sick and I saw countless dead on the road. The dogs that do have owners are ell care for. I expect these observations will continue as I push onward.

A few other things. Every morning I was awakened by the sounds of roosters and sweeping. People love their chickens and their brooms.
The orange juice is phenomenal. Fresh squeezed everywhere you go.
Topes (speedbumps) and pot holes keep you on your toes.
Somewhere in Mexico I lost my ipod nano and a good set of earbuds.

There is so much more to say about this place, hopefully my posts have done a reasonable job describing what I have seen.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #200
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Great RR and great recap.

Looking forward to reading more about your adventures
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #201
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 445
Nice report, good summary of Mexico.

I'm not sure why people litter so much, its hard for me to comprehend just throwing shit out in the environment. Especially on beaches, i can't stand a beautiful beach were people just toss garbage. Thats my rant.

The travel only only gets better from here. I started to really get into a groove with the bike and the culture after a month or so.

Hit up Semuc Champey in Guatemala if you are in doubt about going. Kind of on the route south from Tikal to Guatemala City.

Cheers!
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped

lukeman screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 11:19 AM
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #202
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Great RR and great recap.

Looking forward to reading more about your adventures
There's plenty more to come. There will be somewhat of a hiatus while I'm in Belize...I'll be preoccupied

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Nice report, good summary of Mexico.

I'm not sure why people litter so much, its hard for me to comprehend just throwing shit out in the environment. Especially on beaches, i can't stand a beautiful beach were people just toss garbage. Thats my rant.

The travel only only gets better from here. I started to really get into a groove with the bike and the culture after a month or so.

Hit up Semuc Champey in Guatemala if you are in doubt about going. Kind of on the route south from Tikal to Guatemala City.

Cheers!
Semuc Champey is on my want list. After this 2 week break from riding, I'll be ready to get going again.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #203
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Viva Mexico!
Great write up Dave!
folknride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #204
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
Viva Mexico!
Great write up Dave!
Thanks Ron,
Hope all is well with you. Missed you in Baja!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #205
Old Codger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Wow!! Great ride report and Photos..I am ready for more. Enjoy your vacation with your Wife
11 DL 650
05 R1200RT
Old Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #206
davey1212
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Dave, Superb thread and have been reading it from the start. Far superior to mine, I must say, and I don.t know how you find the time to do it all. hope you continue to enjoy it all ( I am coming to towards the end of mine) and keep up the excellent reporting.
The trash everywhere is all the way through Central America and the driving ???? It does not improve.
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #207
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Codger View Post
Wow!! Great ride report and Photos..I am ready for more. Enjoy your vacation with your Wife
Thank You. We have been having a great time in Belize. Only 1 week till I get back on the bike.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #208
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post
Dave, Superb thread and have been reading it from the start. Far superior to mine, I must say, and I don.t know how you find the time to do it all. hope you continue to enjoy it all ( I am coming to towards the end of mine) and keep up the excellent reporting.
The trash everywhere is all the way through Central America and the driving ???? It does not improve.
Thanks Dave, I really enjoy doing the RR but it certainly is challenging finding the time and the internet connection to do it. I'm following your report too, it's a great advance scouting read.

Dave
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #209
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 38 Belize Bikeless

Day 38 Chetumal to Belize City
September 30

Today I entered Belize on foot. I had prearranged a taxi to get me to the bus terminal in Chetumal early in the morning. It is somewhat difficult finding accurate information about bus schedules to and from Belize so this was going to be an interesting day.

The taxi driver, upon realizing my intentions explained that I should not to expect buses at the terminal before 10am. I knew that buses also left from the Belize border so I asked the driver to take me there. I paid him 100 pesos and he left me there a little confused about where to go. A man approached and offered his help so I followed him to Mexico immigration. I turned in my tourist card and paid a 295 peso fee which I now realize is a scam and did not need to pay. Belize awaited but first a 1km walk lugging the cumbersome top case from my motorcycle luggage. After exchanging some US dollars for Belizean dollars through a fence, another man approached and asked if I needed a taxi. I explained “no, I’m taking a bus”. The driver politely advised me I could be waiting a while because the buses are still on their way north. But he could take me to Corozol for $15USD where there are buses leaving every half hour. I agreed and after clearing Belize immigration we headed south.

I rode a bus much like this one for three and a half hours

3b-bus-tilletts-img_0471

There was only a 15 minute wait to catch a southbound bus. I settled in for the 3 hour ride. Along the way the bus picks up passengers waiting on the road and it filled quickly. In Orange Walk it emptied briefly but filled again as we kept moving south. The conductor walked through the bus collecting the fare of $9 BZD ($4.50 USD) as passengers boarded. By the time we reached Belize City the aisles were full. Early during the ride I found a fellow who was also going to the airport and he agreed to give me a signal when our stop approached. You basically just yell to the driver over the blaring music to stop, then you navigate through the bodies and find your luggage piled behind the driver’s seat. We shared a taxi to the terminal for a mere $5BZD each. I was at the airport 3 hours early for Wanitta’s flight so found some food and waited.

It was great to see her smiling face coming through the arrival doors.

This trip was planned long ago and now it was finally happening! We took a shuttle to the Black Orchid Resort and relaxed the rest of the day.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #210
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 39 & 40 Tikal Guatemala

Day 39 & 40 Belize to El Remate Guatemala and Tikal National Park

The Black Orchid Resort was top notch. I would highly recommend them for a stay in Belize. Even though we only stayed one night they gave us great service. We needed to store a piece of luggage while we were in Guatemala and they happily obliged. They also gave us a free shuttle to the airport after allowing us to extend our check out time.

Our flight departed at 4:40pm on a Cessna Caravan. We were joined by one other passenger for the 45 minute flight to Flores. Flying at 7,000 feet we had a great view of the Belize and Guatemala landscape. I’m really happy that we decided to make the trip via Tropic Air.

Belize City

Flores

We found a taxi and paid too much for transportation to El Remate but who cares? We were just taking it all in and enjoying the ride. The hotel I had booked was La Casa de Don David and again I’d recommend it too! We were the only guests and when we arrived the power was out all over the town. The hotel owner, David turned on the generator for us so we could have dinner and an hour or so of power to shower and get settled. We arranged for a shuttle to pick us up at 5:30am the next morning to take us to the Tikal ruins.

On the shuttle we met a German couple who were riding two up on a BMW 1200GS Adventure. They had started in Alaska and are taking 1 year to get to Ushuaia. I hope I run into them again on my way south. They had booked a tour of Tikal so we decided to join them. It was only the four of us and the guide who was excellent. The price of the tour was well worth it at 100 Quetzales each (about $13.00). Tikal was incredible.

Ocellated Turkey

Tiger Striped Heron

Coati

Long Legged Spider

Unexcavated building

Spider Monkey

Toucan

Temple IV Steps

View from the top of 70 meter Temple IV

Temple IV from below. Only the top has been excavated.

A tunnel under the ruins

It was a long day and we were exhausted from the walking and climbing in the heat. At the hotel we sat out on the mirador and ordered drinks and snacks from the Tucan Express.

Tucan Express is a 200 meter zip line across the garden to the lookout patio

Best Guacamole I have ever tasted!