User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #286
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Wow - very cool!

(are adult diapers provided for the Tarzan swing )( I would require several)
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #287
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
Wow - very cool!

(are adult diapers provided for the Tarzan swing )( I would require several)
diapers may have been good for some padding
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #288
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 69 Pure

Day 69 Santa Elena to Aguas Zarcas Costa Rica

Today was motorcycle bliss. A ride around the north side of Laguna de Arenal

There were no distractions, no crashes, and no borders to cross. Just a damn great road.

Breakfast on the road. I should have asked the price before I ordered...$12 bucks!!

To make things even better I found a countershaft seal and the young lad who sold it to me replaced it right in the parking lot. He took pity on me when he discovered where I was coming from and where I was going. It turns out itís a really easy fix. The kid is a huge motocross fan and his wifi password is Pastrana199. He only wanted 6 bucks so I gave him 20 for his trouble.

After visiting a car wash to get rid of all the mud, I rode out to the hotel that my friend Cindi gave me a 5 night stay at. They confirmed my reservation for tomorrow which is another big relief.

Tonight Iím in Aguas Zarcas
Old 11-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #289
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,407

That looks marvelous. I want.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #290
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post

That looks marvelous. I want.
I could not finish it. Should have got a doggie bag and sent it to you
Old 11-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #291
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,407
Btw, I apologize for not getting back concerning my sister in Belize. It turns out they were in the Grand Caymans for a bit. They love having Canadians and Americans and their place is a revolving door. It's gorgeous and they would have loved to have to stay, hit the pool and hang a bit. This year's project was a professional outdoor kitchen poolside.

We are in a full scale blizzard here. It's a nightmare. Check with family if you haven't.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #292
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
Btw, I apologize for not getting back concerning my sister in Belize. It turns out they were in the Grand Caymans for a bit. They love having Canadians and Americans and their place is a revolving door. It's gorgeous and they would have loved to have to stay, hit the pool and hang a bit. This year's project was a professional outdoor kitchen poolside.

We are in a full scale blizzard here. It's a nightmare. Check with family if you haven't.
No worries,
The plan is there is no plan. While it would have been great to meet your kin, there is always a cheap hotel or hostel to stay in somewhere.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #293
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Recharging the Batteries

Day 70-73 November 1-4 Aguas Zarcas

Today all I needed to do was ride about 5km to the resort so I had some time to kill this morning. One of my plans for the next few days was to change the rear tire that I have been carrying since Chetumal, Mexico. Since I had a huge chunk of time available I decided to find a shop to do it for me this morning. At the first stop they had nobody available to do it but gave me directions to somebody else. The guys there didnít have a tire machine so didnít want to do it but he gave me directions to a third place. Before I left though he had to show me his new bike, a BMW F800GS set up for touring, nice! He decided to lead me to the shop he had in mind so he jumped on a Yamaha DT175 and we rode to a busy tire shop on the main street. The guys there quickly did the change over for me and the cost was only $6.

The old E07 has a little life left in it but I'm tired of lugging around the spare tire.

I did have to lower the pressure from the 42psi the guy pumped it to. Also the chain adjustment cams were not set correctly. If you have someone do work for you, double check everything!

I donít get why food is so expensive here when other things are so reasonable.

I checked in to the Hotel El Tucano and was greeted with a nice tropical drink.

Next I emptied the pockets & removed the armor from my Klim riding gear and took it to the laundry. It smells so bad I canít stand it anymore.
I have been looking forward to these next few days.

Thanks C.K.!!

A note about my pal CK. Two days ago I emailed the resort to confirm my reservation and was alarmed to find they had no record of it. Immediately I contacted Cindi via Viber and asked her to look into it. Within minutes she had the travel agency faxing a confirmation to the hotel and by the next morning everything was settled. Today I received the disturbing news that she is facing a very serious health issue. Despite the stress of what she is about to undergo, she handled my miniscule problem like it was the most important thing on her plate.
Thank you Cindi, you are in my thoughts.

breast cancer ribbon

Some shots from around the hotel

Sauna

Great sign

Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #294
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
Hotel looks great. The picture of your bike having the tire changed makes the trunk on the back look gigantic. What kind is it (?Givi)?. It might just be the photographic perspective. It looks very useful.
Other questions.....

- what kind of Klim is it, and has it been worth the expense?
- What capacity are the red gas canisters on the back of the panniers, and have you yet had to fill them?
- the last photo, of the red flower with the white 'flowers' around its base, is extra-ordinary. That is real, right? Does anyone there know its name?
- does the bike have an after market shock? I think one of the photos looked as though it does.

Thanks for the postings.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #295
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
Thanks for the postings.
The picture of your bike having the tire changed makes the trunk on the back look gigantic. What kind is it (?Givi)?. It might just be the photographic perspective. It looks very useful.

It is a Givi 45L box. The original plan was to use a large Wolfman duffle but I decided that this would make access and security better.

Other questions.....

- what kind of Klim is it, and has it been worth the expense?

I have the Badlands jacket and the Latitude pants. I would say worth the investment. There are a few minor things that annoy me about the jacket.
The velcro straps that cinch around the arms keep coming loose
The horrible cuffs I had cut out and sewn up
The collar folds under on my neck if I'm not careful when putting it on
My left arm gets wet in the rain
The good things
Perfect fit
Kidney belt is great (supports the weight of the jacket too)
Mostly waterproof- water gets in the collar and outer pockets
Ventilates well at speed
Lots of storage
The pants are fantastic all around

- What capacity are the red gas canisters on the back of the panniers, and have you yet had to fill them?

The canisters are MSR camp fuel bottles that hold 30 ounces each. 1 of them is full of motor oil. The 3 other bottles give me about 2.7 litres which should allow an extra 50km of range. I used them in Baja when there was a long haul between Pemex stations but they have been empty the rest of my trip.

- the last photo, of the red flower with the white 'flowers' around its base, is extra-ordinary. That is real, right? Does anyone there know its name?

It's a real plant and I have no idea what it is

- does the bike have an after market shock? I think one of the photos looked as though it does.

The shock was sent out to Cogent Dynamics for a rebuild and has a heavier rear spring installed.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #296
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Insurance

Hey there, loving your ride report.
I am leaving in 2 days on our own trip from Ontario to Panama, just wondering how that insurance worked from Sanborn that you got? I know you have to get insurance independently at each border, but will that cover you all the way thru if you buy it for Mexico and CA? Do the borders, customs and police recognize it as legitimate?
Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Cmnthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #297
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
Hey there, loving your ride report.
I am leaving in 2 days on our own trip from Ontario to Panama, just wondering how that insurance worked from Sanborn that you got? I know you have to get insurance independently at each border, but will that cover you all the way thru if you buy it for Mexico and CA? Do the borders, customs and police recognize it as legitimate?
Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks
I purchased insurance for Mexico at the border in Tecate (actually just before the border). It was only good for Mexico and fortunately I never had to use it nor did I have to present it to any official. Mexico insurance is not mandatory but suggested.
The other countries that have obligatory insurance sell it at or near their borders. I did not buy insurance for Guatemala, El Salvador or Honduras. Nicaragua and Costa Rica require you to have insurance so I purchased it at the borders. At the police check points I have never had to present proof of insurance, only the import permit.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #298
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
Equipment + flower

Thanks for all the info - no magazine review comes close to the kind of info you provide from the road regarding the jacket.
My wife says the flower is a kind of 'bract'....they have colored leaves like petals which are not the petals.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #299
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

And Belize also requires you to buy insurance
Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #300
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

As soon as I have adequate internet I will upload a video of my Nicaragua Costa Rica Border crossing experience.

Stay tuned