Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #586
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Salta

Day 133 and 134 Susques to Salta January 15 and 16

View Larger Map

Once again we felt we had enough off road for a while and decided to stay on the paved route 52. We stopped at another large salar and met two riders from Brazil who were thrilled to be able to speak English because their Spanish is bad.

About 40km after the Salar we stopped at a great viewpoint to take photos.

Eran discovered he’d lost his camera and wanted to go back to the salar to look for it. I waited for him looking over the beautiful sight for about an hour.
Sadly he did not find his camera but the ride down was spectacular.

After arriving in Salta we found a hostel near the main square and decided to stay an extra day to do much needed bike maintenance. And of course do some camera shopping.

My maintenance consisted of replacing the spark plugs, adjusting and lubing the chain, cleaning the air filter, checking all bolts, and replacing the muffler bolt. Other than that the bike has been great.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #587
steal6
Death have Mercy

Oddometer: 47
Dave: Your ride report is astounding. Feel like I'm there with you in each wondrous part of the world. Just got back from the Edmonton bike show and thanks to you have been rethinking the size of my ride. Stay safe and enjoy.
steal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #588
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by steal6 View Post
Dave: Your ride report is astounding. Feel like I'm there with you in each wondrous part of the world. Just got back from the Edmonton bike show and thanks to you have been rethinking the size of my ride. Stay safe and enjoy.
I must admit that the last three days I have been thinking about a bike with longer legs. There are some REALLY long straight stretches on Ruta 40 where we are. But I am glad I have the DR. You should see some of the parking spaces I can get into

Thanks for following along
Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 AM   #589
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Ruta 40 Hot and more Hot

Day 135-137 Salta, Hualfin, Chilecito, San Juan January 17 -19

View Larger Map

These three days have been hard riding in extreme heat up to 40 degrees in the shade.

Much of the route is flat and straight but there are great surprises every once in awhile.

Between Salta and Hualfin the is a 36km stretch of gravel and there are isolated bits of dirt here and there.

We rode over 1,100km these three days and I broke into 24,000km

Dust Devils everywhere

Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #590
Rabble
mountain boy

Oddometer: 13
Great following you Dave, thanks.

It would be really interesting, if you ever have time, to hear more of your thoughts on the pros & cons of smaller vs. bigger bikes for a ride like yours.

I'm 6 foot 3 so the plain ergonomics of being on a 1200 GSA are wonderful. But...
Rabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #591
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabble View Post
Great following you Dave, thanks.

It would be really interesting, if you ever have time, to hear more of your thoughts on the pros & cons of smaller vs. bigger bikes for a ride like yours.

I'm 6 foot 3 so the plain ergonomics of being on a 1200 GSA are wonderful. But...
The last three of four days are the only ones I felt I could use a bigger bike. Perhaps there are still more days ahead I'll feel that way too. However overall I am glad I don't have to muscle around a big bike. I'm 6'0 190lbs but I'm not a really strong guy and have some lower back issues. I can lift the loaded DR when I drop it, there's NO WAY I could lift my VStrom loaded. Also getting in and out of a hotel lobby is a breeze.

Check out these two Edmonton guys http://alberta2argentina.blogspot.ca/
They are both taller than you and on DR650's. Send them a message and They will be happy to talk about their experience so far with them.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #592
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Rabble

Have you read these?
http://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #593
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophijo View Post
Yeah Big Dog does a lot of great riding on that bike. However I think it's too small for this trip in general. There are some spots it would be fantastic but others (like these recent long straights against the wind) that it would really struggle.

I think a F800GS would be a great choice for a trip like this. Check out Radioman Rides the World
Old 01-21-2014, 03:55 AM   #594
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

My laptop won't boot, so I have to figure out an alternative. The phone is ok for text only. Eran has a laptop so I may use it but no photo editing. We will be in Santiago tomorrow so I'll see if I can find a cheap netbook

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #595
mjt1577
MinisterOfSillyWalks

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
My laptop won't boot, so I have to figure out an alternative. The phone is ok for text only. Eran has a laptop so I may use it but no photo editing. We will be in Santiago tomorrow so I'll see if I can find a cheap netbook

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Bummer...hope you're able to sort out something quickly so you don't leave us all hanging!...thanks once again for taking us along on this adventure, Dave :)
mjt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #596
Bob Allen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
Hey DR Rambler: You should be able to get a tire for a Suziki DR65o in just about every big town...including Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta...and there should be no good reason to ever go to Guadalajara (in my opinion). I would head south along the coast and stay in Sayulita. Going to all those colonial cities is good but if it were me...I would stay along the coast and cut up to Uruapan and see Paricutin (one of the wonders of the world) then stay at Patzcuaro. This is the best colonial city in my opinion with Guanajuato a close second. the others have their charm but if you are pressed for time...you can miss them. Mexico City is very intimidating for most but I love the place...but you can bypass it and head to Taxco via Toluca and never see Mexico City. Then head to the coast and but don't stay in Acapulco. Ride south to Nexpa and then to Zipolito or Puerto Angel. Oaxaca is my favorite big city in Mexico and shouldn't be missed. Then to San Cristobal and Palenque if you have time. That should keep you busy.
Great advice, If you do go to Guanajuato, go on to San Miguel De Allende for a night or two and then head south to the Monarch Butterflies. Several citys to see them in, worth the trouble. Then head down to the coast. Just a suggestion.
Bob Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #597
friskycutter
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb truly great

Spent the last couple of weeks catching up to you in your blog after recently discovering the ADV site. Epic read, epic ride! Ill be following along till the end. Inspiring me into a ride of my own. Good luck and happy trails
friskycutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #598
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Allen View Post
Great advice, If you do go to Guanajuato, go on to San Miguel De Allende for a night or two and then head south to the Monarch Butterflies. Several citys to see them in, worth the trouble. Then head down to the coast. Just a suggestion.
Thanks Bob I missed the butterflies but would have really liked to see them. I was in Mexico back in September.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #599
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by friskycutter View Post
Spent the last couple of weeks catching up to you in your blog after recently discovering the ADV site. Epic read, epic ride! Ill be following along till the end. Inspiring me into a ride of my own. Good luck and happy trails
It really has been epic so far. We are in Santiago right now and I'm playing with a new netbook. Windows 8 is new for me and in Spanish too!it may be a day or two before the next update
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #600
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 138 Real Riding

Day 138 San Juan to Uspallata January 20

View Larger Map

I didn't like the feel of San Juan and was glad to get going today

The plan was to get to Uspallata today which is on Ruta 7 on the way to Chile. The first 150km was pretty much the same as the past few days, flat and a little boring.

Got in trouble for stopping here near a police check point but had to see this truck

Big beetle

After Mendoza however the next 100km was wonderful. We had been feeling like we were riding just to “get there” but not today. The feeling of riding just to be riding had returned! Each turn blends into the next and you feel in the moment at one with the machine. The clarity of sights, sounds and smells is part of the motorcycle experience and we started to get some of that variety back today.

Uspallata didn't seem too remarkable but was nice enough. We had a little difficulty finding a place to stay until Eran turned into the Gran Hotel Uspallata, a property I knew was out of the budget but I followed anyway. Just a few meters beyond the fancy hotel was the Gran Hostal Uspallata for $16 each.

Our little buddy at the hostal

After getting settled we walked into town and found some dinner and discussed the $3 dollar Coke we bought at the hotel.