Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #61
ang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Dave, how much time have you given yourself for the trip?
ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #62
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
very cool, I saw a flyer for your ride at riverside. Best of luck on your trip. I'll be following this and visiting Argentina myself, albeit by plane.
Riverside has been a great help to me. I encourage folks to visit them and BUY A RHINO!
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #63
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang View Post
Dave, how much time have you given yourself for the trip?
Total time is 6 months. I expect to be in U shuia in February 2014
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #64
J_moto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
great posts, thanks for all the information as I am leaving from California on Sep 15 to do a similar trip. I ll be following along
J_moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #65
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Awesome so far! Subscribed!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #66
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_moto View Post
great posts, thanks for all the information as I am leaving from California on Sep 15 to do a similar trip. I ll be following along
I'll have some info about getting the TVIP at Ferry terminal in my Day 13 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
Awesome so far! Subscribed!
Thanks for your interest!

DRRambler screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 09:21 PM
Old 09-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #67
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 12 Loreto
Today I just relaxed.

I spent some time updating the blog, uploading photos, and did some laundry. Not much to report except that the house is wonderful and Iím really enjoying the pool.

Some of the scenery

I had a great evening with Antonio, one of the complex managers. We had a few cervezas in the Wine Bar and had quite a few laughs. Antonioís a great guy.
Tomorrow up early and head to La Paz
Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #68
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 13 I Can't Drive 55

Day 13 Loreto to Cabo San Lucas 574km 10.5 hours

The plan today was to get to La Paz and take care of the necessary documents for the bike temporary import. I wanted to beat the heat so I was up at 5:30 and started packing the bike. The sun had not risen yet but the heat and humidity already were stifling. I rolled the packed bike out of the storage area and onto the common sidewalk. I was going to leave it there until there was some dawn sunlight (never ride at night in Mexico). When I returned to add a few more things to the luggage, a security guard was standing there talking on the radio. He spoke zero English but I could tell he was concerned that I would be riding the bike out. I assured him with sign language I would push it to the gravel path. He was happy with that and off I went.

The morning was glorious as I slowly made my way south from Loreto. Numerous road washouts were undergoing repair along the way but riding a dual sport makes these rough spots irrelevant. Soon the road began to climb and as it did I entered a low cloud, thick and full of moisture. I could not ride with the visor down for the fog inside and out. Moving along at a 50km/hr pace with the visor open and being pelted with water droplets I watched my mirrors carefully. When I saw headlights behind me Iíd tap the brakes multiple times to make myself more visible. I quickly became drenched including inside my jacket that had all the vents open. The cloud cleared after 70-80km and my pace finally picked up. The remainder of the ride to La Paz the heat began to build and by the time I arrived at the Ferry terminal at 12:30 it was scorching.

I rode past a very long line of trucks waiting to get into the ferry loading area. I was looking for the banjercito to buy my TVIP. I made a wrong turn and headed straight for customs where they politely turned me around and told me to get the permit first. I found the right place and began the process. I gave the girl at the window my papers and immediately she advised me that my registration was a copy and wouldnít do. A mini panic ensued as I dug through my stuff looking for the original. I found it but by this time I was sweating like mad. Eventually I got my permit then went to buy a ferry ticket. Now Iím all set for the Sunday ferry crossing.

I decided to make a run for Todos Santos 100 km away. As I rode there I encountered a massive cloudburst. Just before it hit I stopped and closed all the vents on my gear. I have never ridden in such rain, lightning and thunder. All I could do is put my head down and get through it. The rain was brief and soon I was in Todos Santos looking for a hotel. I circled but couldnít find what I wanted so decided to keep going. Ultimately I ended up in Cabo and again struggled to find a hotel I liked. Iím staying at Los Milagros right in the tourist area and had dinner at Sammy Hagarís Cabo Wabo.
Tomorrow...get out of Cabo and find cheaper accommodation for the next two nights.

Ferry Terminal Instructions:
The easiest way to get there is to just stay on the main road as you enter La Paz. Watch for signs that say La Paz Centro which take you along the coastal drive by the shops and restaurants. You canít miss the ferry terminal and as you approach there are a bunch of food vendors on the right. Turn left into the parking lot and an immediate left into the pay parking area where youíll get a ticket (youíll pay 22 pesos on your way out). The big building on the right has the banjercito and the ferry ticket office. Find the banjercito wicket and hand over your passport, registration, and Tourist Visa. They will want a copy of each which can be obtained around the corner in a small office for 6 pesos. Sign a bunch of documents and pay a deposit of up to $400USD. Youíll receive a receipt and a guarantee that youíll get the deposit back if you cancel the TVIP when you leave the country. Also given to you will be the windshield sticker which I was told does not have to be on the windshield but be prepared to show it to authorities. Thatís it, now just buy your ticket and off you go.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #69
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 222
Great start to a great trip! I've been down there in Cabo and we stayed off the main road a block or two and was much cheaper. We stayed at a Best Western and had guarded parking and a good restaurant.
Have Fun!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #70
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Had to laugh at the copy of your registration being rejected. I carry a high quality colour copy of my drivers licence and registration lamenated in plastic and at 50 % of the border crossings it is rejected!!I think Its still a good idea to have the copies. Enjoy the mainland and all it has to offer!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #71
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Need route advice

I'm trying to figure out a route for the mainland. I need to be in Chetumal by Sept 29. I think I am going to need a tire so Guadalajara is probably in the cards. Should I go to Durango and then inland to Guadalajara (what's the current safety of this route)
Perhaps direct to Guadalajara then back to the coast to Puerto Escondido, to Oaxaca, and from there need ideas.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #72
Turk34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
subscribed

nice report and trip...we are planning the same trip next year..your trip notes will give us a lot of good information....safe ride...
Turk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #73
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
I'm trying to figure out a route for the mainland. I need to be in Chetumal by Sept 29. I think I am going to need a tire so Guadalajara is probably in the cards. Should I go to Durango and then inland to Guadalajara (what's the current safety of this route)
Perhaps direct to Guadalajara then back to the coast to Puerto Escondido, to Oaxaca, and from there need ideas.
I suggest you go into Trip Planning and ask that question in the Is Mexico safe thread, there are members who live in Durango and you may be able to get a tire there. Being your first trip all roads are new to you and all can be great.
You could ride #40 into Durango from Mazatlan it is worth it! Once you leave Durango there are many colonial cities to visit, Zacatacas,San Luis Potosi, Guanajuato,Queretero, Morelia and Patzcuaro. Then if you want to go to the coast from Patzcuaro its a short hop down to Playa Azul which is nice and quiet with a few hotels, I paid 120 pesos In Playa Azul.
Do you have Sjoerd Bakkers Hotels of Mexico?
Check in Mazatlan for a tire its a big place there is a bike shop on the Malecon near the Golden zone and when I stopped they were very helpful. Stay at the Hotel Belmar in Mazatlan, there are 2 types of rooms 150 pesos and 350 pesos the difference is 1 has just a fan and no hot water the other has A/C and hot water, I found the water coming out of the shower is not cold but refreshing.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #74
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

A few more photos from Day 13

Oops missed these ones

This was what I was in for the first hour....just awesome dawn riding

I tried to get a shot of these Carnys on the roof of the truck as it whipped by.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #75
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

UOTE=Cal;22268952]I suggest you go into Trip Planning and ask that question in the Is Mexico safe thread, there are members who live in Durango and you may be able to get a tire there. Being your first trip all roads are new to you and all can be great.
You could ride #40 into Durango from Mazatlan it is worth it! Once you leave Durango there are many colonial cities to visit, Zacatacas,San Luis Potosi, Guanajuato,Queretero, Morelia and Patzcuaro. Then if you want to go to the coast from Patzcuaro its a short hop down to Playa Azul which is nice and quiet with a few hotels, I paid 120 pesos In Playa Azul.
Do you have Sjoerd Bakkers Hotels of Mexico?
Check in Mazatlan for a tire its a big place there is a bike shop on the Malecon near the Golden zone and when I stopped they were very helpful. Stay at the Hotel Belmar in Mazatlan, there are 2 types of rooms 150 pesos and 350 pesos the difference is 1 has just a fan and no hot water the other has A/C and hot water, I found the water coming out of the shower is not cold but refreshing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cal,
I do have SB's book but did not pack it...I know...duh!
I have decided to stick to my original plan more or less. The tire is good until at least Guadalajara and I found a Mitas dealer there. If I haven't worn out the first one I'll just strap a new one on top of all the other crap I have :)

Tentative route

View Larger Map