User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
contact lists/emergency waypoints

When putting your trip information together, do you include contacts or waypoints in the case of emergencies along the way?

For example, in preparing for a couple of upcoming international trips, I've been adding some bike repair places into my list of route waypoints. Local towing companies along the route may be another thing I add to my phone list, at least for the middle-of-nowhere Canada/USA portions.

Many folks keep their embassies addresses handy, which I could see being useful if transiting through a lot of countries.

what sort of things are you including?

~ chris
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 620
Hi Chris,
I personally don't bother with any more than the addresses of people or places I am planning to visit on a trip. In the unlikely event of a breakdown you have no idea where it is going to happen so cannot really have a backup plan and in motorcycle trips to about 70 countries have only needed an embassy once in a non-emergency situation so don't bother with that either.
The internet is rarely far away neither is a mobile phone signal which will put you in touch with emergency services in most places if you need them.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the input, Mark

while I agree 100% that you can't predict where you'll have a breakdown, it's been my experience that they only happen in places with no internet or cellphone coverage

For example, I'm travelling between Reno and Las Vegas (via Tonopah) in October and have the Tonopah, Beatty & Pahrump towing companies telephone numbers handy. If I have to flag somedown down roadside to get them to call for me once they're in town, I'd like to make it easy for whomever stops by having the number handy instead of imposing further by having them search for it :)

Same with locating a shop in my overnight towns...it's likely not needed but if it is, then searching for it is one less thing I'll have to do at a time when I'm already probably aggravated and tired.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Locals are pretty helpful with info when needed. Keep a number of a reliable person at home than can dig out any numbers you may need. If you carry a cell phone I'd also recommend creating a file in your contacts list labeled "Emergency" or some such. In it list your blood type, any meds you're taking and what for, meds you're allergic too, recent medical ailments etc. If you're in a crash and unconscious most first responders know to look in a cell phone or wallet for critical info.
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

great advice - thanks!