User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
ramjet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Talk to me about the Arai XD4 helmet

Checked one out today. The XD4 in my size weighs 3.75 lbs. compared to my usual offroad helmet the VX-Pro3, which weighs in at 3.25 lbs with goggles.

No complaints about the VX but long rides on slab before I get to the dirt wearing goggles gets a bit annoying.

So what's good about the XD4 offroad? Feel the weight more? Faceshield distortion? Hows the noise? Does wind catch the visor any more than the XD?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
AzSpeedfreek
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Checked one out today. The XD4 in my size weighs 3.75 lbs. compared to my usual offroad helmet the VX-Pro3, which weighs in at 3.25 lbs with goggles.

No complaints about the VX but long rides on slab before I get to the dirt wearing goggles gets a bit annoying.

So what's good about the XD4 offroad? Feel the weight more? Faceshield distortion? Hows the noise? Does wind catch the visor any more than the XD?

I have had my XD4 for 9 months now and I really like it, it doesn't catch any more wind than a full on dirt bike helmet with visor. You may or may not notice the extra weight it all depends on how sensitive your neck is. The one complaint that I have with the XD is how flimsy the visor is. With the stock windshield on my KLR I had no issues but when I put on a Baja Worx Dakar windshield it redirected the air flow and causes a horrible resonating in the visor that will after a while give me a headache. This has me strongly thinking about the Shoei DS Hornet as my next helmet because of the stiffer visor.
AzSpeedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
No experience with offroad specific helmets but the XD4 is the best helmet I've owned for street riding.
The visor is long enough to offer real shade and it flows a ton of air.
It's heads and shoulders above my Shoei RF1000's (previous favorite)

I don't find it heavy at all and have no issues with the peak except when behind certain vehicles. If I stand and get in clean air (normally behind a windshield) even at 80mph, it's stable. Shoulder checks require a bit of extra effort to return from but nothing bad.

When I first got it, over a year ago, I had strange visual issues that made my gauges look like they were all distorted. It happened only sometimes and was on my periphery but it would make me a bit nauseous. That went away after about a week and hasn't come back. Not sure what that was about.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
ramjet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
How is it on a hot dusty trail with the visor down, hot? Do any of you take the visor off and switch to goggles or not worth it?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
I ran mine about 5k miles recently on an unfaired xr, as mentioned the beak is low enough to be very useable for a sun visor, mine must be the newer version because I've read about issues with it being flimsy but haven't noticed it and I spend a fair bit of time in the 75 to 80 range.

Also as mentioned you feel the beak at speed when you do a shoulder check, I think that's all part of riding an unfaired bike and behind a semi in a crosswind the helmet and the bike are all over the place but again it goes with the territory and for myself it's part of the fun of riding that sort of setup.

Flows air well and is much quieter than my gmax but the thing I like most about it and the reason I bought it is the fit, I wasn't anticipating spending that much on a dual sport helmet but made the mistake of pulling one on while waiting for a tire change one day.

This picture was taken on a recent trip to north Dakota, about 10 minutes after this was taken I rain tested my gear and everything totally failed including the helmet, it only lasted about 10 minutes but it was biblical and I'd never experienced anything even remotely similar.

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
I've been very happy with mine. It flows air well and isn't that hot of a helmet. I don't notice that the helmet is any heavier than any other helmet I've had.

I've had no issues with resonance or noise from the visor, this is on my Dakar with the stock windshield.

It does catch the air in strong cross winds and shoulder checks at 75mph+.

It's probably a bit louder than a regular helmet as it's not as streamlined, but not unbearably so.

I really like it and would buy another one.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
I also love my XD4. When I go the correct size it felt too tight but after a few hours it fits perfectly. If you get one don't go too large. It will break in.
Smoke Eater 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Endurodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I owned one briefly. The fit was excellent. The peak, however, vibrated badly over 55mph, and I got pain in my forehead. I have read a few things that might cure this, I might try a few of them in the future as I really did like the helmet (except for the pain!).
Endurodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I currently have a Hi Viz XD4 and is my 1st Arai helmet - have had it about a year. Still have my old Hornet and have used Shoei helmets for years.
Comparing the 2 I really like my XD4. I ride a lot and had to replace the clear shield on the Hornet about every 4-5 months because it would split at the hinge holes. Also the very first time I rode with it , a semi passed by and the gust broke the plastic screws on the outside edges of the visor and it spun around backwards. I think Shoei used light duty screws because of the stiffer visor - must be a safety thing?
The XD4 was the most miserable thing I ever put on my head and I thought I had made a mistake - but when it broke in I think it is the most comfortable helmet I have. The flexing visor has never bothered me and it has never broken. I use this helmet for my solo trips but I wear a dirt helmet with goggles when I ride with a group. I just don't think the visor would work well with the additional dust .
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Core10metal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Anyone have experience with this lid in cold climate? Too much air flow for winter? Fogging? The slightest air flow in 10f weather will be painful and make your eyes tear right up.
Core10metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Maine here. It's fine in the winter. Enough flow to clear the visor but not too much.
Smoke Eater 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037

love mine, Was tight at first on my cheeks. Now its just right.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote