Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-Man View Post
Since I am w/AT&T, I believe I'll get an unlocked Nokie Lumia 1020 that will serve as camera, GPS and music source as well as phone source.
Just FYI, you'll be seriously limited by your navigation app choices if you opt for a Windows Phone vs Android or iOS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
vanseagal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Buy some Nokia Lumia and you are ready to go. I have the 620 model. Works perfectly and map coverage is huge.
vanseagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #18
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I believe the problem is the USB adapter isn't passing enough current. It'd depend on the phone but perhaps the nominal 1A that a typical 12V USB adapter passes isn't enough.
The problem is that the USB charger isn't wired right.

For Android devices, with the micro USB connector, the data lines, D+ and D-, must be shorted out. If the data lines are not shorted out, it assumes that it is simply plugged into the USB port on a PC. It will only charge at a max rate of around 300ma. Running GPS software at high brightness easily takes over 300ma.
If you short D+ and D- in the charger, cable or connector, then the device knows that it is on a high output charger, and charges at a higher rate. Depending on what it is, it will charger closer to, or over, 1 amp.
If you can take the charger apart, short the two center USB pins. Or you can buy charge only cords that have it shorted in the cord. Or you can cut and modify the cable. Or you can simply, carefully, cut a small piece of foil that will short the two center pins in the large USB connector and plug it in.
Load the app called 'battery monitor widget' and it will show you what is going on.

I use my phone on the handlebars with moving maps all of the time. I was in 'banjo playing country' this past Saturday and Sunday, with sparse cell coverage. I used Osmand+ and occasionally CoPilot for offline maps. The Galaxy S4 has a super bright screen, even in direct sunlight. The battery stays at 100% charge. And I have an aLokSak in my pocket in case of rain.

worwig screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 06:43 AM
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Spina
wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post

For Android devices, with the micro USB connector, the data lines, D+ and D-, must be shorted out. If the data lines are not shorted out, it assumes that it is simply plugged into the USB port on a PC. It will only charge at a max rate of around 300ma. Running GPS software at high brightness easily takes over 300ma.
If you short D+ and D- in the charger, cable or connector, then the device knows that it is on a high output charger, and charges at a higher rate. Depending on what it is, it will charger closer to, or over, 1 amp.
If you can take the charger apart, short the two center USB pins. Or you can buy charge only cords that have it shorted in the cord. Or you can cut and modify the cable. Or you can simply, carefully, cut a small piece of foil that will short the two center pins in the large USB connector and plug it in.
Load the app called 'battery monitor widget' and it will show you what is going on.

I use my phone on the handlebars with moving maps all of the time. I was in 'banjo playing country' this past Saturday and Sunday, with sparse cell coverage. I used Osmand+ and occasionally CoPilot for offline maps. The Galaxy S4 has a super bright screen, even in direct sunlight. The battery stays at 100% charge. And I have an aLokSak in my pocket in case of rain.
Thanks for the answer, now i think I know where the problem is.
The circuit seems well made ( good cables with fuse that goes to the 12v socket ) so the problem must be in the cable. I use a cigar lighter to usb adpter in the 12v socket, I don't think that this adapter have data pins, it wouldn't be logic given that I don't plug in a 12v socket in the pc...
I should look for a charge only cable, or modify another one if I find it in the house...

Edit: also, could I mod the cigar to usb adapter instead of the cable? Given that I can't take that apart without broking it, I would have to use the foil...
Is there a risk doing it? Is there the possibility of a short in the phone, if something goes bad? ( stupid question maybe, but I don't know nothing about these things...)

Spina screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 12:08 PM
Spina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spina View Post
Edit: also, could I mod the cigar to usb adapter instead of the cable? Given that I can't take that apart without broking it, I would have to use the foil...
Is there a risk doing it? Is there the possibility of a short in the phone, if something goes bad? ( stupid question maybe, but I don't know nothing about these things...)
I normally disassemble the cig lighter to USB adapter and put a blob of solder on the two center USB pins to short them out.
Make 100% sure that you still only have 5 volts at the USB before plugging in the phone.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Brad-Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Just FYI, you'll be seriously limited by your navigation app choices if you opt for a Windows Phone vs Android or iOS.
From what I have gathered, the app that comes with the phone is perfectly good. About the only 2 downsides are can't adjust volume of verbal directions and having to be connected to the internet for setting routes.
Brad-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Hermit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
AT&T phone plans

Quote:
I have avoided SmartPhones for the most part because I don't text and really only use the phone for phone calls.

Since getting my K100 back on the road however, I have been thiking that I should get a SmartPhone that does it all.

Since I am w/AT&T, I believe I'll get an unlocked Nokie Lumia 1020 that will serve as camera, GPS and music source as well as phone source.

It has 32 B=GB of RAM and the maps for the USA are only 9 GB.

My music only takes up ~ 6GB (160kbps .WMA files), so I should be good.

This way I don't need to have a data connection (keep my current plan) and not be tied into them on a contract...I'll just use WIFI for the downloads and trip planning.
Check with AT&T first, I have heard that they will automatically switch you to a plan with data if you use a smart phone on a non-smart phone plan.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,264
Quote:
From what I have gathered, the app that comes with the phone is perfectly good. About the only 2 downsides are can't adjust volume of verbal directions and having to be connected to the internet for setting routes.
I've got limited experience with the Nokia Drive app on my Lumia 900, but that experience has been quite positive. Navigon is supposed to be even better (but Drive is free, so there is that...)
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
I've got limited experience with the Nokia Drive app on my Lumia 900, but that experience has been quite positive. Navigon is supposed to be even better (but Drive is free, so there is that...)
Used Navigon on iphone..good app...
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Spina
wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
I normally disassemble the cig lighter to USB adapter and put a blob of solder on the two center USB pins to short them out.
Make 100% sure that you still only have 5 volts at the USB before plugging in the phone.
Thanks, I'll try it!
( to anyone that is interested: if you usually mod your android phone, I've discovered that some rom or kernel have the fastcharge feature, meaning that you can set the phone to charge like a normal charger, instead of a data connection )

Spina screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 10:49 AM
Spina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #26
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Bingo! Thanks for the detailed clarification. Saved for future reference.

Do you know off hand if that also applies to charging an iPhone as well? I have an Android myself, but haven't yet put a USB outlet on my bike.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
mmvalk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
using a smartphone / tablet whilst riding

These devices are capacitive and will not operate when wearing gloves. So. how do you operate smartphones / tablets when riding?
mmvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #28
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmvalk View Post
These devices are capacitive and will not operate when wearing gloves. So. how do you operate smartphones / tablets when riding?
Actually, with the Nokia Lumia 920, you can use gloves...
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
My iPhone 4S in a LifeProof case works fine when wearing gloves. If it isn't responding well, I lick the tip of the glove finger and then it is back to working. I use a stylus in cold weather when wearing heavy gloves. I could just use metallic thread sewn into the gloves, but haven't bothered...

Sent from my iPhone 4S
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
vanseagal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
You don't need to be connected to internet for setting routes. With Nokia's navigation it is possible to set phone offline and still set routes and look maps. You just need to download the maps to your phone. I have used Nokia's map program for years all over Europe without any problems. You can also use Here.com and sync all the favourite places with Lumia. BTW I can adjust volume on my Lumia 620.
And no I don't work for Nokia
vanseagal is offline   Reply With Quote