User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Bigbird OP
"Dog Is My Co-Pilot"

Oddometer: 422
POC bicycle helmet for trials?

Just bought POC helmet to use on my MTB and road bicycle. Very comfy, very light and great venting. It's also rated as the best protection out there in it's class. Back "in the day" when I tried trials in the 60's, helmets were never seen. Would it be accepable/legal to wear it in Trials? I'm brand new (well really old!) to the sport so this is a legitimate question.

"Keep yer stick on the ice" Red Green
Bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
Just bought POC helmet to use on my MTB and road bicycle. Very comfy, very light and great venting. It's also rated as the best protection out there in it's class. Back "in the day" when I tried trials in the 60's, helmets were never seen. Would it be accepable/legal to wear it in Trials? I'm brand new (well really old!) to the sport so this is a legitimate question.
Most clubs are adopting to protect the land owners, so it will be up to your club. Many clubs seem to insist on DOT/SNELL approved head gear. Regionals and nationals will require apporved helmets. But locally, you will need to see if they jump you or not, for it will be obvious.

Our club is happy you have a helmet on our "main" grounds. But, at our 2 day event locations, it must be SNELL / DOT approved. But it isnt like we're inspecting, but again most of us have had the non approved and can spot them easily.

Although, for many years, and not long ago, I rode with a walmart bought BELL bicycle full face helmet, that I cut the chin-guard out of. Then Way Before 1999, I rode with actually street/ice hockey helmets that I added a visor too. Oh, and that dates back to even the 70's as I was a kid, back when hardly anyone wore helmets but me.

You keep an eye out for a used "SHIRO" trials helmet, they were only about $125-150 new. Yes everyone thinks they look like Gazoo's helmet from the Jetsons, but they are cheap, approved, and BTW have best ventilation I have ever found in any helmet yet, and with paint you can minimize the gazoo look. Liners come out to wash, I love them. Hehee.

Here's my dad riding 2shock, with the Shiro Commander. go see it here, https://www.dropbox.com/s/166zii6h2d...316_111157.jpg

Sting32 screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 08:07 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
You need to ask that question of the marshal, or sponsoring club, of the events you intend to ride. It would be OK in our club, not in some others.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Bigbird OP
"Dog Is My Co-Pilot"

Nice vented helmet....Brand??

Saw this helmet this weekend, but pic not good enough to ID brand. Has loads of "mesh" venting. Anyone know what it is??

Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
That looks like an NZI.
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
TXNMGUY
dirt dobber

Oddometer: 99
yep, it is an NZI.
TXNMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
no2tracks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
mtb enduro helmets rule!

I use a Bell Super mtb enduro helmet. Basically the same as the Poc. It's comfortable and well vented. Nobody around here cares, only that I'm wearing something. I do have a Giro Feature for sale $50. Only worn once. size L. Basically the same as the Poc and Super.

http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/m...t/feature.html

no2tracks screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 09:12 PM
no2tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
???

Just cant understand why you dont go to the dollar store, get a tupper ware copy drill a few holes in it, use a bungy cord also avail at the dollar store and strap it on
With all the recent face plants I have seen, and some had the full face ones, i dont understand why some clubs dont have mandatory full face ones like the downhill MTB ones...
Anyone that is reading this cant use the excuse it blocks vision,,,, bull shit
these bikes can get you in trouble so quick, I just dont figure why take a chance at an early retirement of your teeth?
We use the Bell Bellistic, and the 661 Downhill MTB ones, all around 75.00
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Bigbird OP
"Dog Is My Co-Pilot"

Full-face MTB Helmets for Trials??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcycle View Post
With all the recent face plants I have seen, and some had the full face ones, i dont understand why some clubs dont have mandatory full face ones like the downhill MTB ones...
......why take a chance at an early retirement of your teeth?
We use the Bell Bellistic, and the 661 Downhill MTB ones, all around 75.00
Good point! Falling face first on some rocks could ruin my whole day! I do like the additon of a face guard and on my road bikes I always used a full face helmet. But as these helmets are MTB-types, would they be approved for use in trials?
Bell Bellistic - Approved for Trials?

or 661 Downhill???

Old 08-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

yes

Any club will or should allow those, but when you go to ride a national you might need one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-helmet-s...item2a1cf6d7d3

They are awesome vented, weigh as much as a potato chip and if you go with the Bell, it has the quick strap, the 661 is normal.... FYI I use the BELL.....
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Bigbird OP
"Dog Is My Co-Pilot"

Quote:
Any club will or should allow those, but when you go to ride a national you might need one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-helmet-s...item2a1cf6d7d3

They are awesome vented, weigh as much as a potato chip and if you go with the Bell, it has the quick strap, the 661 is normal.... FYI I use the BELL.....
Jeez! You can just buy the DOT decal!
In your last statement, "They are awesome vented, weigh as much as a potato chip and if you go with the Bell, it has the quick strap, the 661 is normal.... FYI I use the BELL"....were you referencing the Bell Bellistic?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Yes

I use the Bellistic..both almost the same, but the clamp for latching you dont need to take gloves off
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
rdrce698
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
"Yes everyone thinks they look like Gazoo's helmet from the Jetsons, but they are cheap, approved, and BTW have best ventilation I have ever found in any helmet yet, and with paint you can minimize the gazoo look. Liners come out to wash, I love them. Hehee. "

Gazoo was on the Flintstones not the Jetsons
Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrce698 View Post
"Yes everyone thinks they look like Gazoo's helmet from the Jetsons, but they are cheap, approved, and BTW have best ventilation I have ever found in any helmet yet, and with paint you can minimize the gazoo look. Liners come out to wash, I love them. Hehee. "

Gazoo was on the Flintstones not the Jetsons
Touche, flintstone/jetson same guy drew them....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:

My 661 has QR buckle. It didn't say so on site or show in pic, but showed up that way (must be new model).

More back and forth in these threads.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910770&page=2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902494&page=4

When I was checking it out in store, the kid there said he does rocky, high-speed DH MTB races at Downieville and they (and maybe others like some of the knarly ones in Tahoe) require DOT FF now. But like has been discussed ad nauseum, that is a different kind of potential crash than section riding.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote