User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Apxgrndr OP
In the snow

Oddometer: 965
I need an E Reader

So I've done a bit of searching on here and the interwebz looking at E readers.
The de-cluttering thread convinced me, I need less fucking stuff!

Been thinking of the kindle fire. Anyone have experience they would like to share?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
So I've done a bit of searching on here and the interwebz looking at E readers.
The de-cluttering thread convinced me, I need less fucking stuff!

Been thinking of the kindle fire. Anyone have experience they would like to share?
You may want to consider a tablet that will do more than just fill the e-reader requirement. Pretty much any android tablet will run all of the "reader" apps that you need, plus act as an email and web device (among others). If you find yourself needing to read out in full sun, you may really need one of the e-ink reader devices.

What else would you like to accomplish?

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
FrankS
...please wait...

Oddometer: 417
easy. here is your e, now read it:

e

i'm using an iPad for all my tablet and e-reader needs. I'm using it at night a lot more than in bright sun so the backlit LCD works great for me. I also like the fact that it runs a ton of other more or less useful apps.
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,711
I had a Kindle Fire (the original model, given to me), but I just couldn't find a good use for it. I sold it.

For reading, I prefer my e-paper Kindle (the older keyboard model). The displayed text is crisper, easier to read, almost zero screen glare or reflection, and really, black and white is all I need in an e-reader. The Kindle Fire had issues with leaving out words and phrases at page breaks (and that was with "Kindle Edition" e-books purchased through Amazon), the screen was very reflective and distracting, and the text, displayed in pixels, wasn't even close to the crispness of the e-paper display.

Beyond its e-reader capabilities (or lack thereof), as an Android tablet, the Kindle Fire was rather thick and heavy. It just came across as bulky, for the screen size. I didn't care for it.

So, my opinion, I prefer the black-and-white e-paper display for an e-reader. I'm thinking of upgrading my three-year-old Kindle Keyboard to a new Kindle Paperwhite, after I take a good look at it.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Apok
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
The big advantage to an e-reader is the non-backlit screen. Working all day with a computer screen means staring at an iPad at night leaves me with pretty strained eyes.

Battery life is also much better than any tablet I've ever used. I have a Sony reader and it's been excellent. More versatile than some others as it seems to read just about any format.
Apok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Apxgrndr OP
In the snow

Oddometer: 965
Yeah the eye strain is a factor so thats why I'm thinking E reader.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Battery life is another great point. My Kindle Keyboard, with the wifi turned off, will go nearly a month without needing a charge. I generally only turn on the wireless when I need to grab content off the cloud.

W.A.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Truly, if you're mainly interested in an e-reader, you'll be disappointed in the Fire.

Also, I don't think you have to buy a Kindle sight unseen these days. I think they're stocked at many stores - Best Buy, Staples...

Go in and check 'em out.

W.A.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,747
Depends on what you are using it for.

I have and love a Kindle Paperwhite. Great that it is backlit, but still the "electric paper" technology. Reading in bed I can dim it down and enjoy. Less eye fatigue especially if you spend real time reading a novel or non-fiction book. Great battery life too.

Previously I had the standard Kindle for about 6 months when the PaperWhite came out. I liked the concept, but didn't like having to use an outside light source. YMMV

I also own a tablet computer. Samsung Galaxy Stylus or some such. I have the Kindle app loaded on that. I do use it fairly often for reading- but don't like it as much for reading in bed- too bright and too heavy. But say going to work it is nice to only bring one device. Wifi syncs both so I only lose my place a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
mrmurph
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
I have to agree with some earlier posts....if it's going to primarily be a reader and if eye strain is or has been an issue with you, I would go with the Kindle--either the basic one or the Paperwhite. My wife and I both use them and love them. Battery life, ease of use, the quality of the e-ink screens, the convenience of not having to lug an armload of books with you when you travel etc., all are benefits to using a "reader" for reading and a tablet etc. for "other stuff" .
I also have an iPad, and I love it too, but I don't use it for reading books. Maybe it's cause I'm 55, but the Kindle is just easier on the eyes IMO.

Murph
Motorcycles, Cars, Guitars.....
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,560
Like some others have said go e-ink all the way

The fire and other tablets are decent for reading but if you're trying to replace books the e-ink ones are much lighter, easier to read, and have a battery that lasts a month, not hours.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Quick clarification - the Kindle Paperwhite is actually front-lit, using an illumination diffuser layer in front of the e-paper display. E-paper can't be back-lit, because all the cells are full of ink all the time; it's a matter of whether the ink is squeezed to the front or the back of the cell.

Jurgen, how's the battery life on your Paperwhite? Still on the order of three-four weeks, even with the front illumination?

W.A.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,468
If you really want color, go with B&N Nook HD+

It will do most android apps. Works with Kindle Reader, Sony Reader and supports almost every other ebook format. Plays HD videos, uses wifi and has expandable memory. Using it just as a book I'm getting 4-5 days between charges.

Cons: It's weighty compared to a plain e-reader and uses a proprietary 30pin connector for data / charging.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
Another Kindle e-ink vote here. I've had a Kindle Keyboard for a couple of years now and it gets used quite a bit. Almost a year ago I got an iPad and kind of assumed that the Kindle would get used less and I'd do my reading on the iPad. I was wrong. For web surfing, watching a movie, some of my business related apps, and checking in on the FF's in this joint, the iPad rules.

But read a book for any more than a dozen pages on a backlit display, even a Retina one? Nope. Nothing like e-ink for comfortable, long term reading, particularly if I'm outside on a sunny day.

I didn't even know about the Kindle Paperwhite. Thanks a lot! Another gadget to add to my wish list, you bastard.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Just go into a Nook with both eyes open. Barnes & Noble isn't long for this world. Just like Borders before them.

Yes, it's just a B&N-branded Android tablet, but...

W.A.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: