Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
dnewhall
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Another vote for the Kindle. A point no one else made is that the kindle is by far the easiest device for borrowing ebooks from your public library.
dnewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,382
I have been reading on a Nook Color for a couple of years now, outstanding product.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,590
Nexus 7.

I have a B&N nook e-ink reader, and previously had a Sony e-ink reader, and they are great for sitting down and reading a novel. But a tablet is just much more versatile, including for reading, and is much better than e-ink for some reading, such as pdfs, cookbooks, and anything else with lots of images. And if you're going to go with a tablet (including nook hd and kindle fire), you might as well get a nexus 7 which will get regular updates and new features.

The nexus works as well and as easily as the Kindle for borrowing library books, btw.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,116
We have an Ipad, Kindle Fire and a desktop system. My wife uses the Ipad and it replaced her desktop system, she shops, watches movies, gets news, email etc and she loves it. I use the desktop for design and writing programs. The Kindle is smaller than the Ipad and I use it for web surfing and reading. The Kindle is not as good for reading as the paperwhite devices, but it works well enough that I have not bothered to buy a dedicated reader. I use it almost every night for reading. However, I could see why someone would want a dedicated reader, take a good hard look at the different options. If you can, find someone to let you borrow the device for a night or two before you buy.

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
mngl1500
[]

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
If you really want color, go with B&N Nook HD+

It will do most android apps. Works with Kindle Reader, Sony Reader and supports almost every other ebook format. Plays HD videos, uses wifi and has expandable memory. Using it just as a book I'm getting 4-5 days between charges.

Cons: It's weighty compared to a plain e-reader and uses a proprietary 30pin connector for data / charging.
Heck with full access to Google play you can even load the Kindle app on the Nook HD+. I got it for the wife during one of the sales they had on it. I got it because my mom has a Nook and you are allowed to have so many devices on one account and that way they can share books and mom has a lot of books on her since she takes that when they go on a 6 week trip every winter.

My wife also checks out e-books from the local library.
mngl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,048
If you get a Kindle, get a cover for it. Highly recommended.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngl1500 View Post
Heck with full access to Google play you can even load the Kindle app on the Nook HD+. I got it for the wife during one of the sales they had on it. I got it because my mom has a Nook and you are allowed to have so many devices on one account and that way they can share books and mom has a lot of books on her since she takes that when they go on a 6 week trip every winter.

My wife also checks out e-books from the local library.
That's what I meant by Kindle Reader. But I did forget Google's book app...

The Nook HD+ is actually one up on the iPad in this regard; On the iPad you can only download stuff you've already bought from the respective stores. On the Nook you can actually shop the stores thru the app and download directly.

And, if you use Calibre on your computer, you can comparison shop the different stores for the best prices on e-books.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
For reading, I prefer my e-paper Kindle (the older keyboard model). The displayed text is crisper, easier to read, almost zero screen glare or reflection, and really, black and white is all I need in an e-reader.

So, my opinion, I prefer the black-and-white e-paper display for an e-reader. I'm thinking of upgrading my three-year-old Kindle Keyboard to a new Kindle Paperwhite, after I take a good look at it.

W.A.
I, too, have a Kindle e-ink and I like it a lot. Never thought I would, bought it used on a whim, let it sit around unused for months. Since I finally started using it I find that I read more now than I have in a long time. It's easier on my eyes than a real book, even.

Although, like most of us here, I spend a lot of time looking at things on a computer screen, that's not how I want to read a book. Eye strain. So using a tablet to read a book is very unappealing.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Quick clarification - the Kindle Paperwhite is actually front-lit, using an illumination diffuser layer in front of the e-paper display. E-paper can't be back-lit, because all the cells are full of ink all the time; it's a matter of whether the ink is squeezed to the front or the back of the cell.

Jurgen, how's the battery life on your Paperwhite? Still on the order of three-four weeks, even with the front illumination?

W.A.
I'd say about two weeks. I'm probably like most people read a ton for a bit then not as much for a longer time. So I don't really keep track. It may be three weeks, but that seems long, if I'm reading a bunch.

Personally I'm fine as it is longer than a week, that's all I ask. If I know I'm going on a trip I charge it to full before departure.

One small benefit is it uses the same plug as my Galaxy phone-- and most cell phones-- so I only have to bring one cord when I travel.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
If you get a Kindle, get a cover for it. Highly recommended.

By the way I have a brand new cover for the Kindle with keypad. (ordered wrong, never sent it back ) Nearly free to a good home. Nearly, as Jurgen will be doing a charity walk in Sept. for ALS. Any donation will do. I'll even cover shipping to US address.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
You may want to consider a tablet that will do more than just fill the e-reader requirement. Pretty much any android tablet will run all of the "reader" apps that you need, plus act as an email and web device (among others). If you find yourself needing to read out in full sun, you may really need one of the e-ink reader devices.

What else would you like to accomplish?

Wifey has the original Kindle, a Kindle Fire and just got a tablet. She really likes the tablet.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
One small benefit is it uses the same plug as my Galaxy phone-- and most cell phones-- so I only have to bring one cord when I travel.
Yeah. Love that the micro-USB is the interface on Kindles. Except that I discovered my long-lost Kindle charger cable and wall plug in my wife's purse - she uses it to charge her Mophie iPhone battery case.

Proprietary connectors suck.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
So I've done a bit of searching on here and the interwebz looking at E readers.
The de-cluttering thread convinced me, I need less fucking stuff!

Been thinking of the kindle fire. Anyone have experience they would like to share?
My wife talked me into getting an e reader to stop the clutter of books. I found I don't like reading from the Kindle or the Nook and the books aren't cheap. For me, it just isn't a good experience. I'm done with the e reader's and the clutter, I just go to the library and get one at a time.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #29
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
My wife talked me into getting an e reader to stop the clutter of books. I found I don't like reading from the Kindle or the Nook and the books aren't cheap. For me, it just isn't a good experience. I'm done with the e reader's and the clutter, I just go to the library and get one at a time.
We have 3 Nooks, which comes in handy when we all want to read the same book at the same time.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
It's like shopping in real life; wait for the sales. Wait for the paperback release. Check for collections.

E-books are ridiculous if you're trying to replace your library. I have some paperbacks that I still read once in a while that were only $2.95, 3x to download.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: