Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #31
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
Yeah the eye strain is a factor so thats why I'm thinking E reader.
I've heard nothing but good about the Kindle with the "e-ink" screen. With the Kindle you do your shopping at Amazon.

I've got the Nook Simple Touch w/ Glowlight™ (light is under the glass cover, but over the sheet the text is on - works perfectly for dim light situations and never has a glare, plus you control the brightness level to suit yourself or the conditions). I couldn't possibly be happier with the device. With the Nook you do your shopping at Barnes & Noble. Just like with the Kindle and Amazon, your shopping is done online. But you also have the option of swinging into a B&N with your Nook and "looking at" any book they've got for 30 minutes, on your Nook, for free to determine if you want to buy it ~ just as you would with a paper book. Same type of e-ink screen as the Kindle. No backlighting, no eye strain. Basic Nook will hold +/-2,000 books. Has a slot for an SD memory card, up to 32gig. With a 32gig SD card plugged in, plus what memory the machine has built-in, you'd be good for a library of +/-66,000 books. You can also get magazines, newspapers, etc. Battery life using the glowlight is fantastic. Battery life without the glowlight in use is just amazing. Weeks of daily reading between charges.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #32
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
We have 3 Nooks, which comes in handy when we all want to read the same book at the same time.
I've got my wife, my father and me all on one "account." This allows all of us to read the same books. I think they said you can have up to 5 Nooks on one account. I don't know, but must assume that the Kindle has a similar means for sharing books inter-family.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I'm done with the e reader's and the clutter, I just go to the library and get one at a time.
And now you can do that on the Kindle.

Further, there are literally THOUSANDS of books that are absolutely free. Entire works of Shakespeare? All the volumes of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Jules Verne, and H. G. Wells? Ever want to read The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates, (and yeah, that's the full title, and only a third of it is really about living on the deserted Caribbean island)? Want to go back to the classics - Euripides, Homer, and more?

There are vast amounts of totally free books out there from the Gutenberg Project, Google Books, and more, and yes, even Amazon.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,748
I have, in storage somewhere the Gen 1 Kindle with the replacable battery and expansion slot for memory cards. I liked the e-paper a lot except that my REB e-book reader from RCA had a backlight - and yea the battery life was a lot different. At that time I was spending a fair bit of time on airplanes and the e-books are so easy, same for our trip to Alaska - one e-book.

Today I use the Kindle reader app on my Ipad and I appreciate the back light as I often read in bed after the wife has gone to sleep.

Nothing wrong with the kindle, I just prefer a multi-function device like my iPad.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #35
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Today I use the Kindle reader app on my Ipad and I appreciate the back light as I often read in bed after the wife has gone to sleep.

Nothing wrong with the kindle, I just prefer a multi-function device like my iPad.
If the back lit screen doesn't give you eye fatigue or strain, good for you. I like laptops and tablets, but don't think I'd want to read a novel on one. It'd be pretty cool if tablets had some "setting" for the screen to make it like the "e-ink" and "paper white" displays so that reading would be easier and we really could go to the one, multi-function type machine the way you have. I don't know how you'd get both a backlit and a "non-back lit" screen on one device, but it'd be pretty cool if they could make it work.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #36
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
And now you can do that on the Kindle.

Further, there are literally THOUSANDS of books that are absolutely free. Entire works of Shakespeare? All the volumes of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Jules Verne, and H. G. Wells? Ever want to read The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates, (and yeah, that's the full title, and only a third of it is really about living on the deserted Caribbean island)? Want to go back to the classics - Euripides, Homer, and more?

There are vast amounts of totally free books out there from the Gutenberg Project, Google Books, and more, and yes, even Amazon.

W.A.
+1

My argument was "I like to take a book with me on trips", her answer "Can you take 7000 of them?"
Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #37
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewhall View Post
Another vote for the Kindle. A point no one else made is that the kindle is by far the easiest device for borrowing ebooks from your public library.
+1
Yup, wife has an Ipad, but LOVES her Kindle for book reading, she shares books with her mom and friends all the time.

(me? I dont read, I've become addicted to old time radio shows and podcasts)
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #38
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading my three-year-old Kindle Keyboard to a new Kindle Paperwhite, after I take a good look at it.

W.A.
I've had a number of tablets and e-readers, and the Paperwhite is my favorite so far. Light, good screen IMHO, and great battery life.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #39
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
You may want to consider a tablet that will do more than just fill the e-reader requirement. Pretty much any android tablet will run all of the "reader" apps that you need, plus act as an email and web device (among others). If you find yourself needing to read out in full sun, you may really need one of the e-ink reader devices.

What else would you like to accomplish?

They will, but battery life SUCKS on a tablet and costs go up and (sunlight) readability goes way down. What you get from an eReader is paperback like life. I just charge mine, throw it in the bag and leave the charger at home.

Yeah, you can get around the battery life issues of tablets, but it's extra effort and the reading experience is sub-standard. +1 to the Nook Glow as well.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #40
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100 View Post
+1
Yup, wife has an Ipad, but LOVES her Kindle for book reading, she shares books with her mom and friends all the time.

(me? I dont read, I've become addicted to old time radio shows and podcasts)
Holy crap. What a time waster.

I dumped Sirius radio a couple months ago and my only regret was not being able to listen to old time radio programs while on the road. Thanks for this link!!
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #41
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
My argument was "I like to take a book with me on trips", her answer "Can you take 7000 of them?"

It always seemed that when I was flying out of town I was three quarters of the way through the book I was reading and would probably finish it before the plane even left the gate. This was made worse by the TSA wanting you at the airport two hours before departure. So I'd always end up having to take two books, and that's just for the carry-on. If I was out of town for a week I'd often end up bringing a few additional books home with me in my luggage. I don't like to eat alone if I don't have a book to keep me company and my mind occupied.

Having half a dozen books lined up in the Nook, one ready for whenever I finish the one I'm reading, has been wonderful for travel. And if I'm all out of books I can just shop from the comfort of our living room.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #42
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
If you get a Kindle, get a cover for it. Highly recommended.
I have this for my old Kindle keyboard. Works very well.

Eric
eric1514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #43
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Holy crap. What a time waster.

I dumped Sirius radio a couple months ago and my only regret was not being able to listen to old time radio programs while on the road. Thanks for this link!!
Save them to your HD as MP3s and you can burn CDs, put on thumb drives, use w/itunes, whatever.

I have an action packed expense account, myself.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #44
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,429
I recently got a Kobo Mini, I'd like a bigger one with bells and whistles, but at a 2/3 discount it was a cheap way to try Ereaders out. I'm not concerned about no card, it only holds 1,000 books so that's enough for me. Libraries here only do epub, so that rules Kindles out, and it's only for library use mainly. So now if I finish my library books mid week, I don't have to wait until Saturday morning to go to the library, the library is now 24/7 for me. The Mini is great, sort of like reading one of those small paperbacks, fits in a jacket pocket, very easy to take with me.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #45
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I recently got a Kobo Mini, I'd like a bigger one with bells and whistles, but at a 2/3 discount it was a cheap way to try Ereaders out. I'm not concerned about no card, it only holds 1,000 books so that's enough for me. Libraries here only do epub, so that rules Kindles out, and it's only for library use mainly. So now if I finish my library books mid week, I don't have to wait until Saturday morning to go to the library, the library is now 24/7 for me. The Mini is great, sort of like reading one of those small paperbacks, fits in a jacket pocket, very easy to take with me.
Calibre fixes that problem.

It can also fix some problems you might not have, yet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: