ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #46
Apxgrndr OP
In the snow
 
Apxgrndr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Up here
Oddometer: 955
I'm really liking the looks of that Kindle Paperwhite, I think that will be my birthday present this year, lots of great info, thanks to everyone!
__________________
You're stronger than you think.
Apxgrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #47
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
I'm really liking the looks of that Kindle Paperwhite, I think that will be my birthday present this year, lots of great info, thanks to everyone!
I hadn't read any novels in a bit. Have been wasting my time reading other stuff (like here ) but this thread made me re-crack the Kindle PaperWhite.

One book done--got about 80% done quickly and realized it sucked, so had to force myself through to the end. Was a cheap spy novel. The kind of stuff I always had to fill boxes of and take to either a used book store or the library.
(In Jurgen World it is a sin to throw any book away)

Now well through my second novel. So 12 days or so of reading-I charged soon after my last post here- and I still show about 2/3 battery. And I didn't fully charge it.

One thing I really noticed, is one night I left my Kindle downstairs-- was already comfortably in bed-- so I thought, "I'll just read a bit on the tablet." Way too much glare for lights out reading and way too heavy. Only read about two pages that night.

Worst thing is I went on a little Kindle binge. So now three or four more books waiting.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #48
Jonnylotto
All out of care
 
Jonnylotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sunnyvale
Oddometer: 15,197
I changed my mind about the Nook HD+ and the Nook store.

Fuck 'em.

With a $7.99 wooden spoon.

Ya see, I'm just kickin' in the recliner, searching through the store and after getting a book and a catalog my thumb slips and covers Salem's Lot. No pause for confirmation. No "are you sure?". So I immediately email the Nook Store customer service, telling them it was a thumb slip purchase, I didn't want the book and could they please remove it from my library. They reply back that they would love to but since it was already downloaded to my device no. Like I'm going to steal a 40 year old book.

There's no way to prevent a download short of turning off wifi. Some items pop up as new with a "download" arrow, other just show up as new and already downloaded.

At least Amazon gives you an easy option with the Kindle.

My Nook just became an exclusive Sony, Kindle and Google reader.
__________________
I'm done.
Jonnylotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #49
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.
 
Buccleuch's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 1,653
This thread spurred me on to do what I've been wanting to do for a while - get a Kindle Paperwhite. LOVE the thing. Got the 3G model.

So now, I need to sell my mint-condition Kindle 3G Keyboard.

ANYway, what I jumped on to talk about today was using my public library as a resource. I've already checked out a book from the library and dropped it onto my KPW, mainly just as a trial to see how to do it. It's kind of a weird process: go to the public library website, look for their e-content selections, choose a book, choose "Kindle Format," click "Check Out," and from there, it spawns an Amazon window that looks just like I'm buying the book, except instead of "Order Now," the button changes to "Check Out." Somewhat convoluted, but it seems to work.

But the better story is magazines and periodicals. My public library has about a hundred or more magazines available for "check out." Can't use the Kindle for this, though - it has to be on a tablet or smartphone. But the public library lends magazines through Zinio. So I set up a Zinio account on my iPad Mini, then go pick out magazines I want to read from the public library website (Aviation Week and Space Technology, Astronomy, Car and Driver, Cycle World, Digital Photo Pro, Outside, iPhone Life, Outdoor Photographer, Road and Track, Popular Photography, Motorcyclist...) That takes me back to Zinio's newsstand, where the magazines are dropped into my reading list. All FREE. Further, as each new issue hits Zinio's newsstand, the new issues are dropped into my reading list. FREE.

I'm never paying for another magazine again.

Check it out.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #50
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
This thread spurred me on to do what I've been wanting to do for a while - get a Kindle Paperwhite. LOVE the thing. Got the 3G model.

So now, I need to sell my mint-condition Kindle 3G Keyboard.

ANYway, what I jumped on to talk about today was using my public library as a resource. I've already checked out a book from the library and dropped it onto my KPW, mainly just as a trial to see how to do it. It's kind of a weird process: go to the public library website, look for their e-content selections, choose a book, choose "Kindle Format," click "Check Out," and from there, it spawns an Amazon window that looks just like I'm buying the book, except instead of "Order Now," the button changes to "Check Out." Somewhat convoluted, but it seems to work.

But the better story is magazines and periodicals. My public library has about a hundred or more magazines available for "check out." Can't use the Kindle for this, though - it has to be on a tablet or smartphone. But the public library lends magazines through Zinio. So I set up a Zinio account on my iPad Mini, then go pick out magazines I want to read from the public library website (Aviation Week and Space Technology, Astronomy, Car and Driver, Cycle World, Digital Photo Pro, Outside, iPhone Life, Outdoor Photographer, Road and Track, Popular Photography, Motorcyclist...) That takes me back to Zinio's newsstand, where the magazines are dropped into my reading list. All FREE. Further, as each new issue hits Zinio's newsstand, the new issues are dropped into my reading list. FREE.

I'm never paying for another magazine again.

Check it out.

W.A.
This may make Jurgen get his ass down to the library.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #51
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict
 
DMZ's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 10,063
I retired my Kindle Touch (gave it to my niece), and bought a Nook HD, cover, and 32Gb micro SD card. Could not resist all the features at the $129 price. Beautiful e-ink screen. Easier on my aging eyes. Videos/movies also look great on it.

I have a assortment of Mobi books I still need to convert to epub with Calibre. With the SD card I can load all kinds of stuff on it.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #52
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer
 
ParaMud's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Oddometer: 625
I had the original kindle and just upgraded to a paperwhite. I love it. No more lights on when reading and can dim the screen super low. Love it. I also.only read the free books from amazon. I usually get 2 free books everytime I check. Top free. Its hard to find the non chick flick ones
__________________
08 wr250r
04 xt225
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #53
wjpjump
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wjpjump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: kalifornia
Oddometer: 413
kindle paperwhite - buy the one with the ads.
wjpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #54
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!
 
Lobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Oddometer: 27,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Calibre fixes that problem.

It can also fix some problems you might not have, yet.
Yep.



I absolutely LOVE Calibre. So much I donated to them. Imagine iTunes for books, but that works without all that legal, intrusive Apple crap. I hook up my Nexus 7 to it and easily manage all my ebooks.

Plus I have an account with the local library and can download books from them.


PS. If ya'll get Calibre, google "DRM removal using Calibre."
__________________
Gracie's Gold
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #55
Jonnylotto
All out of care
 
Jonnylotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sunnyvale
Oddometer: 15,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Yep.



I absolutely LOVE Calibre. So much I donated to them. Imagine iTunes for books, but that works without all that legal, intrusive Apple crap. I hook up my Nexus 7 to it and easily manage all my ebooks.

Plus I have an account with the local library and can download books from them.


PS. If ya'll get Calibre, google "DRM removal using Calibre."




__________________
I'm done.
Jonnylotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #56
siempresevula
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 1
e reader and gps

Paragliders use the kobo mini with an aditional gps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_2CJ-oliy8
Who can tell anything about map, sunlight readable screen, posibly perfect use on motorcycles?
siempresevula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #57
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer
 
spagthorpe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 14,480
I think for me, a B&W GPS screen would be a huge step backwards. Reminds me of my old Garmin V. In theory it's a nice idea, and there are display technologies that could be coming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG1ibJnDn5w for example), that bring sunlight readable and low power into play. Right now, I'm more than happy using my nautical based GPS, that is perfectly readable in the sun.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #58
steven1955
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 243
I think I need an ereader too.

I figured it was better to dust off this thread than start a new one. I'm going to have to downsize, and it looks like that means getting rid of a few hundred books. Some favorites I read every couple of years, and others twice in 20-30 years.

It pains me that I might have to buy ebooks to replace paper books already purchased, so I'm thinking instead I'll borrow ebooks from various libraries, and look to the public domain.

I'm primarily thinking about eink based readers because I want to be able to read in sunlight, so here's what's at the top of the list:
  1. The Kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation.
    • Calibre or similar needed to read all the formats I'm interested in.
    • Extra sales content that I have to pay extra to get rid of.
  2. The Nook Glowlight.
    • No memory card slot.
    • Only 0.5 GByte memory available for non Barnes and Noble content.
  3. The Nook Simple Touch Glowlight.
    • Lower resolution than the above two.
    • Does have a memory card slot.
    • Has side buttons to change pages.
    • Only available used or maybe new/old stock.
I'm also not sure if any or all use standard charging cables.

It really seems that 1 and 3 are the better choices.

Is there anything new in ereaders in the last few months?

Is there something new about to come out I haven't heard about?

Is the lower resolution of the older Nook Simple Touch Glowlight going to make a difference?
steven1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #59
josjor
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,589
Love my Paperwhite. As for the issue with Calibre and whatnot, it's not too much of a problem to get things on there. Once you do it a couple of times, it's a cinch.
__________________
Neutiquam erro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #60
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.
 
Buccleuch's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 1,653
Love my Paperwhite, too. It's the best reader I've had thus far, out of the Kindle Keyboard (no light), the Kindle Fire (too heavy, too much screen glare), and iPad Mini (too much screen glare, can't get it out of my daughter's hands anyway).

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014