Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #61
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,659
I must have missed this thread in the past. I'd been using a 1st gen iPad as a reader, but as my eyes have aged, it was beginning to cause way too much strain. Talking with family, my sister had a Nook that she wasn't crazy about and our brother has had a Kindle since they were introduced. He lives on the road traveling for his job and uses it daily. I also heard very good things about Kobo readers.

Then Amazon announced that starting in 2014, books that you have purchased from them in the past will begin to made available to Kindle owners via their new "Match Book" program. And since we've long had an Amazon account and have bought many a book from them, it seemed like a no brainer. So a new Kindle Paperwhite was ordered. Then we discovered their monthly "Kindle First" program where you get a free download from a choice of 4 not yet available books. The other nice program they have is the "Kindle Lending Library" that lets you "borrow" many popular books. Content wise, Amazon is tough to beat. How long will they be around? Who knows, but certainly longer than B & N.

My eyeballs appreciate the Paperwhite screen and it has brought joy back to reading.

My brother also turned me on to Calibre to manage ebooks. It works with any e-reader and does much, much more. This may seem strange because certainly managing your Kindle through Amazon's "Whispernet" is stupid easy. But what if someday, Amazon ceased to be? Happily, I've found that the books we've gotten from Amazon seem to be DRM free. So I always download them and import them in to Calibre.

(Calibre downloads with a user manual (What? Read a manual? ) but there are a couple of nicely done videos on youtube done by the author of the Calibre program. The one I watched was about 8 minutes long and gave a nice overview of the program. Like others in this thread, I liked the program so much that I donated. )

Like some others, we are in the process of downsizing and de-cluttering. I just hauled 150+ children's books to our local Boys & Girls Club on Monday morning and donated them. And then another couple of boxes of novels went next store to the Senior Center.

My long term goal is to get all the hard copy books we currently or have owned on a digital format without spending another fortune on them. A couple of places have been a big help. The previously mentioned Archive.org and openlibrary.org are nice sources. The Guttenberg.org project is pure awesomeness. We're in the process of downloading many of the books that we donated from them. (we also made a nice donation to help them continue their work)
Dagofast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #62
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,101
I'd still recommend the Nook HD+ with some caveats:

proprietary 30 pin connector for charging.

B&N is getting out of the hardware side of the business. Don't know what that means for the future of the Nooks.

Pluses:
It runs every reader I own except iBooks. (Kobo, Sony, Kindle, Nook, Google Play Books, etc) (I tend to buy on price, not brand ) and with Calibre iBooks is fine, too.

It's open, so almost any app in the Google play store can be downloaded and installed. My 50 yr old diabetes riddled eyes have had no trouble reading the color screen in daylight or darkness.

The Marvel Comics app looks kinda cool but I miss being able to roll it up.

I forgot: getting tired of reading the Silmarillion and watching Avengers in HD instead is really nice, too.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #63
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 770
[QUOTE=Jurgen;22194163]

I have and love a Kindle Paperwhite. Great that it is backlit, but still the "electric paper" technology. Reading in bed I can dim it down and enjoy. Less eye fatigue especially if you spend real time reading a novel or non-fiction book. Great battery life too.

Previously I had the standard Kindle for about 6 months when the PaperWhite came out. I liked the concept, but didn't like having to use an outside light source. YMMV

/QUOTE]

I tried a bunch of tablets and e-readers too, and the Paperwhite works for me too. Great battery life, easy to use anywhere, etc.

Tablets were just too big and heavy, and, generally, too expensive (esp if one takes a leap off the bike).
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #64
steven1955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I like the idea of the versatility that a tablet offers, but for plain old book reading, sometimes in direct sun, I want to go with e-ink.

There will be a tablet in the future for when I switch my paper magazine to electronic versions because they're color. For now I'll use my laptop.

So far the Kindle Paperwhite is getting all the votes. So far no Nook Glowlight user has chimed in.

Does the Paperwhite use a non proprietary charging cord?

What do you Paperwhite users do about the "Special Offers"? Or do you just pay your money to make them go away?
steven1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #65
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1955 View Post
I like the idea of the versatility that a tablet offers, but for plain old book reading, sometimes in direct sun, I want to go with e-ink.

There will be a tablet in the future for when I switch my paper magazine to electronic versions because they're color. For now I'll use my laptop.

So far the Kindle Paperwhite is getting all the votes. So far no Nook Glowlight user has chimed in.

What do you Paperwhite users do about the "Special Offers"? Or do you just pay your money to make them go away?
Yes, the Paperwhite uses an included standard USB to micro USB cord for charging or interfacing with a computer. It does NOT come with a power supply or cube that plugs in to the wall for the USB cable to plug in to. But those can be bought cheaply almost anywhere.

The special offers are no big deal. Anytime you put the unit to sleep or it times out and goes to sleep, a book cover & offer comes up on the screen. It uses no battery power. When you wake the unit up, you can ignore or buy the book if it interests you. It is so unobtrusive that it honestly is not worth paying the $20 extra dollars to get rid it. And I say that as someone who generally hates advertising. None of the book titles that have ever popped up on ours have been racy, offensive, in poor taste or inappropriate for children. If you are willing to hold in the power button for a few seconds, there is an option to shut the screen off.
Dagofast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #66
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:

Well, the only reason I didn't get the wife a Nook Glo was because she was already in the Kindle ecosystem.

The Glowlight is more square, with a larger bezel all around that I think makes for more comfortable holding. The Kindle Paperwhite is more rectangular, with thinner bezels on the sides and thicker top and bottom.

They're both the same price but the Nook has a power adapter and a microSD slot that will handle 32GB. Both use WiFi. The 3G version of the Kindle is now $70 more.

Oh, and the Nook Simple Glowlight is now on sale for $99 for Mother's Day.

Oh, and Barnes & Noble's Fair and Balanced Comparison Page http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...hite/379004111
Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #67
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
We have a second generation paperwhite and a fourth generation Kindle in our household. They both work well for our uses.

The paperwhite has a touch screen which makes imput and selection much faster. It also has a illuminated screen which is a big bonus. I purchased a cover for the paperwhite which wakes and puts it to sleep when you open or close it.

They both use micro USB cables just like most phones. Both have excellent battery life and form factor.

I'd go for a paperwhite if you want to splurge, but the regular Kindle works well at half time the price.

Good luck with your selection!

rootsy screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 11:57 PM
rootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #68
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,461
I like the general purpose Kindle Paperwhite a lot, but I have to say, after reading a couple of books on an iPad Mini with Retina display, I like the iPad more. The battery with the backlight going on the Kindle is similar to the iPad, and the iPad might beat it out in airplane mode. In sunlight, the Kindle would probably win out, but at night, the iPad offers more screen adjustments, and the text couldn't be clearer.

Yes, the iPad Mini is expensive for just use as a reader, but it is a nice freaking reader, and will work well for magazines and other PDFs you might read. I've used the Kindle Fire, and actually also have a Nook HD+ as well, and both work, but the Mini still kicks their butts. It should for the money.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:27 AM   #69
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post

Yes, the iPad Mini is expensive for just use as a reader, but it is a nice freaking reader, and will work well for magazines and other PDFs you might read. I've used the Kindle Fire, and actually also have a Nook HD+ as well, and both work, but the Mini still kicks their butts. It should for the money.
But the iPad (any of them) as a reader only works if you've already purchased the books through other venues unless you use iBooks. You can't use any of the reader apps to shop directly from the stores. That's the one thing going for the Nook; it doesn't block anybody elses store except Apple and that's only because Apple won't make apps for android.

But yeah, the Zinio app lets magazines look really good on retina displays.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 AM   #70
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
But the iPad (any of them) as a reader only works if you've already purchased the books through other venues unless you use iBooks. You can't use any of the reader apps to shop directly from the stores. That's the one thing going for the Nook; it doesn't block anybody elses store except Apple and that's only because Apple won't make apps for android.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I have a paperwhite and prefer reading on it, but will often use my iPad as a reader. With it I surf the web, buy/borrow my book, and then open it on the related app: Kindle app, Overdrive for my local library, etc. I might not be shopping directly in those apps, but what's the issue?

One cool thing about the Kindle app is the iPad and the Paperwhite sync to each other. Handy for when I find myself with some spare time and don't have the Paperwhite with me. Just open the book on the iPad and it asks if I want to go to the furthest page I read on the Kindle. Get home later and open the Paperwhite and it asks if I want to go to the furthest page read on the iPad. Slick.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #71
steven1955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
They're both the same price but the Nook has a power adapter and a microSD slot that will handle 32GB.
The current Nook Glowlight does not have a microSD slot. And while it has 4 GBytes of storage it is partitioned so that only 2.5 GBytes is available, 2 GByte for B&N media, and only 0.5 GByte for other media.

The lack of a microSD slot combined with B&N's partitioning of the memory is why the earlier Nook Simple Touch Glowlight was on my list. It has the microSD slot, but has a lower 600 x 800 pixel screen. (The Kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation and the current Nook Glowlight both have 758 x 1024 screens.)

If the current generation Nook Glowlight still had the microSD slot, or even if the memory was not partitioned to separate B&N from other media I suspect the Nook would have won.

Still deciding.....
steven1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #72
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,461
Quote:

I mostly look specifically for books in epup format, and if they are in a different format, I convert them. Apps don't share anything in Apple's universe, so I need to copy the book on there manually, but I usually copy enough at a time, that I'm not going to be looking again for months.

One nice thing about the Mini, like the Android tablets, is that you're pretty open to which reading app you use. I am using one called Marvin as of late, and I like it a lot. I was using Aldiko on the Nook HD+.

I do like the Nook HD+. It was the best thing out when I bought it, great screen, fast, runs everything. My biggest issue was the size. I just decided I liked reading on a 7" instead of the 10". I primarily read in bed, and it was just easier for me.

I have both a Nook Color and a Nook HD+ that I might put in FM soon. If anyone is interested before then, PM me.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #73
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,577
Quote:

I use an iPad for my eBook reader. I guess I just don't want to own that many devices. It's worked great.

I'd previously tried a Nexus 7, but it was too buggy for me; all the readers would crash repeatedly.

PS, to address your point: Calibre E-Book management I have a LOT of ebooks.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #74
mngl1500
[]

Oddometer: 682
Mom has an old Nook, so then my dad got a Nook HD+ so he can read books and do a bit more and then my wife got the Nook HD+ too. Nice thing about B&N is you can have 7 devices on one account so you get the books on all of them.

We also use Calibre + free books from Google Play, free books from Project Gutenberg.

I just use my Win 8 8" tablet to read books.
mngl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #75
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
I figured it was better to dust off this thread than start a new one. I'm going to have to downsize, and it looks like that means getting rid of a few hundred books. Some favorites I read every couple of years, and others twice in 20-30 years.

I have a Nook Simple Touch and a Nook Simple Touch Glow. They're really fantastic. I love the page turning buttons which allow me to turn the page without changing my grip on the Nooks. B&N doesn't sell the Simple Touches anymore but you can pick stiil get new ones off of ebay and amazon.

eReaders are so slim that I've found add a cover to them makes them much more pleasant to hold for extended periods.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: