Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
Gypsy OP
YamaHo

Oddometer: 3,978
Short version: I fall down and go boom. I'm fine.

Longer version: I've had my first semi-serious oops in the woods.

John and I were off playing in the woods most of the day yesterday around Willville (Meadows of Dan, VA). Will had given us about an 80 mile loop, most of which was dirt. Went through two pretty deep mud holes - one was in the middle of a hill climb - and did a stream crossing. No dropping on any of those, although the mud in the middle of the hill got my adrenaline up pretty good.

Some of Will's routing took us on roads we'd been down before, including this rather steep hill. We'd done this hill several times before in both directions. In fact, I've ridden my CBR up this hill before. Yesterday we were heading down it. I saw John slide and bobble before I really got into the steep part, so I braked to scrub off some speed - using mostly rear but a little front. I was off the brakes and then WHAM!! I'm on the ground. Fast and hard.

I waited a couple seconds to evaluate myself then I got up and started looking around to figure out what happened. Very clearly in the dirt you could tell that I'd locked up the front wheel. But why? I kept looking and looking. Meantime, John's parked around the corner and climbing up the hill asking if I'm okay.

Then I see it. About two feet behind the lockup is this HUGE bump in the hill. It was a launching pad and it launched me. Don't know if I squeezed the brake outta habit or just because my hand was there. Either way, I went down.

Me and the bike fell to the left. I landed on my hip, which is starting to turn colors this afternoon. My toes except the big one were bent back by the footpeg. They are swollen a bit and have a slight tinge around the knuckles, but none are broken. I dinged my head a little bit, but not hard at all. The right side of my neck hurts today from that.

The bike has a broken turn signal. I did gbm proud and duct taped it to keep from swinging. The handle bar is a bit tweaked and so is the engine guard. Oh, and I got my first scratch. It's on the front fender. But the biggest ouch in my mind: my Challenger stereo earplugs got ripped out of my ears. Both of 'em. They'll be sent out for repair pronto!

Oh, and when we got down to John's bike, it had fallen over. He's got a broken turn signal, too. So, one of us is getting a new pair of flush mounted signals.

As you can see, John had a little trouble turning around - somthing about adrenaline, fear, and thinking I was pinned under the bike - and put his front wheel in a ditch. Then he couldn't get the side stand down. He found a piece of wood that you can see in the second picture that he stuffed under the frame. Needless to say, it didn't work

And, just for good measure...got back on the bike, started rolling down the hill, lost my balance, and fell on the other side. DOPE!! I'm such a girl.

Yep, the Captain Morgan pose is becoming a tradition for me.

Here's the results:

Duct tape, the cure all:

The only scuff on the bike (the engine guards are a dogsend!):

The acerbis are also worth their weight in gold! No broken levers! We paid $25 a pair for these at Mid-Ohio last year:

And, the other broken piece that we just discovered:

Guess I need a new engine guard. That's the broken weld.

Still a good weekend and still a good ride despite the get off. Will knows his roads.

fuck cancer. ride bikes.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,135
I always knew those Vstroms were no good in the dirt

Glad you're OK Stacey!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard cabesa
I always knew those Vstroms were no good in the dirt

Glad you're OK Stacey!
I also heard that as Dirt Bikes Vstroms make very good Anchors
Old 08-15-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
Motogirl
Nail Tech

Oddometer: 270
Well, the guards did their job pretty well-

Glad you're ok other than a huge bruise. At least it's not the normal bruises you get from John hauling you out of your kermit chair. :)
Motogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
strider0
Noob, yeah I know

Oddometer: 116
Looks like you're going to be a-okay Stacey. I know all too much about the dreaded hip injury after a boo-boo. Here was my method for dealing with it.

strider0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,729
A good welder can fix those engine guards rather than buying new ones, cheaper too. They might even be able to make then stronger so the next time they don't break.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Hey Stacey, take it easy on that pretty bike...

Glad you are OK....

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character......give him power".....Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
dizave
Team Blitzed

Oddometer: 5,743
Hey Stacey, hope you feel better and make sure John takes good care of you

-d
dizave is offline   Reply With Quote