Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Buck760 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Aerostich Utility Pants

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/utility-pants
Anybody try these? I'm wondering how they compare with Darien's or AD1's for fit and touring capabilities.
Thanks in advance.
Buck760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
nice looking pants. i wonder if they have the full side length leg zippers like the ad1 pants? if i'm going to replace my riding pants i'm definately looking at aerostitch. i have 2 pairs of the older tourmaster pants that have full leg zippers that also have the schoeller stitching for added strength. they are waterproof, but getting a little worn and tired.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
i wonder if they have the full side length leg zippers like the ad1 pants?.
From the link that Buck760 provided:
The new Utility Pants fit like the AD1's, and have all the function, protection and styling of those, but without the full-length side-zips, belt, or reflective on the leg adjustment tabs.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 302
What I can't figure out is why the sizing on Aerostich stuff is so far off. I'm 5'11", and wear a 32x33 for pants. Not exactly a freak of nature. I contacted Aerostich about the Utility pants and a one piece Roadcrafter. The response was that I would need custom sizing for both pieces. I'm willing to put up with the frumpy looks and high price for quality american made stuff, but I just don't think their stuff will fit me. Most companies that make long sizes have a 33-34" inseam on a size 32" waist pants.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Burninator
Zed's dead

On the plus side, I just saw that the new Utility pants are made in Duluth, and of 500 d Cordura, vs the AD1 which is 600 d nylon and imported. Additionally, the pants have a double layer of cordura in the seat and knees. I may bight the bullet and order a pair for trial fit so that I can get a custom length made.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
2low2go
Banned

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad Nomad View Post
On the plus side, I just saw that the new Utility pants are made in Duluth, and of 500 d Cordura, vs the AD1 which is 600 d nylon and imported. Additionally, the pants have a double layer of cordura in the seat and knees. I may bight the bullet and order a pair for trial fit so that I can get a custom length made.
Please post a review with pics.
2low2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Buck760 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
As they don't have the outside leg full-length zippers, I wonder if you can just get the hem trimmed at a local seamstress?
Buck760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,052
Everyone seems to like the 'stich stuff. What I'm wondering is it seems none of them have zipped vents so what do you do when they get too warm?
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Burninator
Zed's dead

2low2go, I'd post a review, but I don't own these pants. I'm still undecided on ordering them. As far as hemming a pair, I have the opposite problem. Aerostich stuff has too short of an inseam for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
$247 for Gore-Tex pants? That's a good price for those.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
What I can't figure out is why the sizing on Aerostich stuff is so far off. I'm 5'11", and wear a 32x33 for pants. Not exactly a freak of nature. I contacted Aerostich about the Utility pants and a one piece Roadcrafter. The response was that I would need custom sizing for both pieces. I'm willing to put up with the frumpy looks and high price for quality american made stuff, but I just don't think their stuff will fit me. Most companies that make long sizes have a 33-34" inseam on a size 32" waist pants.

Funny, I wear the same (street) size as you. Bought a pair of Darien Lites in 34 L, and they work brilliantly (the Dariens ARE cut a bit slim in the hips)
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Burninator
Zed's dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TebKLR View Post
Funny, I wear the same (street) size as you. Bought a pair of Darien Lites in 34 L, and they work brilliantly (the Dariens ARE cut a bit slim in the hips)
I wouldn't be using the Utility pants as an over pant, as they don't have any side zippers. I've tried a size 32 long transit pants and the waist measured 34" but the inseam was more like a 32". When I say I'm a 32-33, that is my actual measurement, not jean size.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
I own a pair of AD-1 Lights. Bought them when they first came out. I ordered them around January and they were shipped in March. They are made in the US (the regular AD-1 is imported).

They have become my go to pants. Wore them on my trip to Alaska this past June. Temps varied from 40 to 105 on the trip and I had days where it rained ALL DAY (10-12 hours of riding in the rain). They were extremely comfortable regardless of temperature and never leaked. My 4 year old Darien pants have never leaked either but in temps above 85 they get uncomfortable.

The AD-1s fit a little lower around the waist than the Dariens and the legs are a little trimmer and have a "bend" at the knees. The Darien pants are straight cut and a little baggier.

Now if I could just get the Dalton mud off my pant legs

Man, I miss Alaska.

1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
Burninator
Zed's dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMoto View Post
I own a pair of AD-1 Lights. Bought them when they first came out. I ordered them around January and they were shipped in March. They are made in the US (the regular AD-1 is imported).

They have become my go to pants. Wore them on my trip to Alaska this past June. Temps varied from 40 to 105 on the trip and I had days where it rained ALL DAY (10-12 hours of riding in the rain). They were extremely comfortable regardless of temperature and never leaked. My 4 year old Darien pants have never leaked either but in temps above 85 they get uncomfortable.

The AD-1s fit a little lower around the waist than the Dariens and the legs are a little trimmer and have a "bend" at the knees. The Darien pants are straight cut and a little baggier.

Now if I could just get the Dalton mud off my pant legs

Man, I miss Alaska.

What is it about the AD1 pants that made them more tolerable in heat? Is there any way to get some ventilation with the AD1's?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
What is it about the AD1 pants that made them more tolerable in heat? Is there any way to get some ventilation with the AD1's?
No vents, just a lighter fabric. The legs have two way zippers so I assume you could leave the zipper open near the top a little to get some air in. The lighther fabric also moves a little in the wind so it doesn't stick to your leg and sweat.

You do give up some abrasion resistance when you move to the lighter fabric.

I remember an inmate who was trying to install some waterproof zippers/thigh vents on a pair of Darien pants. I will have to search for his posts.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is online now   Reply With Quote