User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 550
Jetboil and other small stoves

Im looking to purchase a small propane stove for boiling water. I like the jet boil but does it require special jetboil canisters*or can I use regular propane canisters?

Also are there any cheaper alternatives to the jetboil? I need something rugged for military use.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
The jetboil uses a standard thread canister and any of them will work fine.

In comparison to many others the Jetboil is bulky. heavy and a bit expensive but I don't regret buying mine and it gets hauled along more than the others just because it's very easy to use.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Pokey66C23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
jetboil

I've used a jetboil for years, did 260 miles of backpacking a few summers ago with my kids. Worked great for sometimes 5 of us sharing one stove.

The propane/butane mix works well in higher elevations/colder conditions than straight propane in the Jetboil.

For snow camping I use a white gas powered MSR. The snow peak stoves are nice and light especially the TI one.
Pokey66C23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
lovin' the jetboil
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,698
I've got the jetboil, and don't mind carrying it since I only boil water with it. However, I was turned onto this stove from another inmate and may purchase one if I decide to carry a mess kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310406431284...84.m1423.l2649
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Carluset
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hi!
I borrowed a Jet Boil for my last trip and I liked it a lot, except that the valve wasn't precise when I tried to put it to the minimum. It get closed (or not enough gas for a flame) and I had to adjust it every few minutes.

Is this a problem of my unit?
Carluset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
nonamehorse
Concrete Jungle

Oddometer: 147
I carry a Jetboil on my motorcycle and mountain bike. They are a bit on the bulkier side, but super easy to use and boil up quick--no fuss no muss. If you're a caffiene junkie, get the french press lid accessory and bring your favorite grind. It brews a great cup o'joe. Use white gas stoves in the winter, the butane doesn't do well in colder temps.
nonamehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,715
Another idea: this is one, but there are several variations on the theme of small, folds flat, burns debris:
http://wildernessinnovation.com/surv...folding-stove/ I'm looking at getting one for simplicity, though I've been using the MSR Whisperlite for over 25 years. Same one.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,121
I really like my swedish camp stove. Ten bucks.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Im looking to purchase a small propane stove for boiling water. I like the jet boil but does it require special jetboil canisters*or can I use regular propane canisters?

Also are there any cheaper alternatives to the jetboil? I need something rugged for military use.

They were/are extremely popular with troops in Iraq and Afganistan.

Check out jetboil.com for some really good camp recipes for the jetboil. My favorites are 'oink-oink cooscoos' and upside down peach cobbler. Simmering can be fussy but do-able.

The bigger cannister costs like a buck more - won't fit in the pot but lasts and lasts and lasts.

IMO they're the best invention ever. From 15% efficiency of a regular stove to 85% efficiency with the flux ring jetboil. They just work fantastic. The inventors should be rich!
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
I need something rugged for military use.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Farkler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
MSR Pocket Rocket

Just to throw one more idea out there, I use the MSR pocket rocket. It is just a few ounces, fits in a little triangular container a few inches long and is essentially idiot proof. I've used it on several back country camping trips as well as some of my longer rides in the past two years. Uses standard Isopro fuel available at walmart and lights very quickly. At $40 or so, it's hard to go wrong with it!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Yes, it uses a different canister. Its not a propane device per say. JetBoils and other compact stoves use a butane fuel mix. I burn iso-butane with propane mixed in. Its a good all weather mix. Walmart has the 220g canisters at $4.88 per and I've found the fuel blend works well year round. If you shake the canister before using it the fuel stays blended a bit more. I burn mine till its all gone even in freezing weather.

Walmart also has a compact stove for $28, use it with the Stanley 24 oz mess kit at $15 as a cheap and useful alternative to other $80 devices. Slide a $4 18 oz stainless cup over the Stanley and it makes for a nice piece of kit. Stove fits inside with tea, coffee etc..

There is also the Stever stoves that burn Yellow bottle Heet and weigh almost nothing. Sold right here on the forums.

I do go back to my Coleman butane stove the most on the bike because the added weight doesn't matter and its still plenty small to pack. If I'm back packing I prefer the ultra light Stever set up, the more you use it the lighter the load. Fuel bottles are very light weight.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
fatboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Love my jetboil. However, I find its either on or off. So, it brings stuff to a boil fast. Perfect tool for making hot water you can use: coffee, tea or anything you add hot water to when making it like instant oatmeal. The small bottom of the jetboil canister means the heat is concentrated and its easy to burn anything thick like beans or chilli. Google alcohol stove for cheap camping stove. I like my jetboil though. I can set it up, dump water in it, boil the water, pour it through a coffee filter and have coffee in like 90 seconds. And it cools down instantly and can be packed back up immediately. Nice!
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
I have the Primus Eta Express stove which is very similar to the jet boil. The main difference is that the pot is larger in diameter and shorter allowing the standard size canisters to pack up in it. It's also a bit less expensive than the Jet boil. It's worked very well for me, boils and cooks quick and is easy to manage the flame for simmering or slow cooking.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote