User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,824
Wireless earbuds under helmet

Anyone using bluetooth ear buds under their helmet. I found a bunch but the buds look bigger then the wired ones and Im not sure how they would fit?
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
bmwrider1946
Young Old Fart

Oddometer: 43
I haven't used the wireless but my experience is that if you are going to use in the ear buds, they should protrude as little as possible. If you use a tight fitting helmet and the ear buds protrude to the point where they touch the liner in any way, they can become uncomfortable quickly. Of course my riding buddies tell me I am a real weenie when it comes to discomfort and I reluctantly have to agree.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Yes thank you. Thats why I am asking
Old 08-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,379
I'm using a Shure headset under my helmet but it's wired. I've been wanting to upgrade to the blue tooth bugs from these guys:

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/bluebuds-...th-headphones/

They meet all the requirements I've been searching for and I'll eventually pick up a set but I have other priorities at the moment.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
hogasm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
I'm using a Shure headset under my helmet but it's wired. I've been wanting to upgrade to the blue tooth bugs from these guys:

They meet all the requirements I've been searching for and I'll eventually pick up a set but I have other priorities at the moment.
I am curious as to how they will work with air blowing across the microphone while riding
Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post

These look cool. Any one know if they really are small enough to fit under a helmet? They look to protrude a bit too far.
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,673
You will also want to be careful of where the inline control sits on the wire. I used the earbuds that came with my phone ONCE because I quickly found out that the inline volume up control lined up perfectly with the edge of my helmet when I turned my head to the right. Taking a corner and then having your ear drums just about blown out in mid turn sucks.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
What about earbuds that fit into the 'speaker pockets' in a Shoei? I have still not found anything good.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
bmwrider1946
Young Old Fart

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
What about earbuds that fit into the 'speaker pockets' in a Shoei? I have still not found anything good.
As an old fart who has way too many miles on motorcycles without ear plugs, my hearing is shot. I doubt that I am alone here. I find the only hearing devices that work for me are those that pretty much block out all of the external wind noise. I can't even hear a Harley when it is next to me while I am riding my bicycle because of the wind noise and I assure I am not that fast on my Co-Motion. The final solution for me was custom made ear buds I purchased at the BMWRA rally in Asheville early this summer. Nothing protruding to create discomfort and the fit and quality are excellent. Still has the chord and no microphone but for me no biggie. I use them as earplugs even if I am not listening to anything.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I have the Jaybird earbuds. My Bell fullface pulls them out of my ears while trying to put it on. I couldn't tell you how they sound on the bike because I can't get them to stay in. It's not just the size of the earbuds, it's also the thick wires that run between them.

So I use a cheap wired pair of earbuds.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 624
FWIW, I tried using the Bluetooth earbuds with a helmet and found they were a pain (literally). As someone above mentioned if they touch the sides in the slightest they'll make your ears hurt. The chord (connecting the two sides to the BT dongle also tented to get caught either in the helmet liner or my jacket collar and would eventually pull one of the sides partially out of my ear.

After a year of frustration, I just bit the bullet and got the Sena helmet communication system that would sync with my GPS (with its MP3 player) and the problem was solved. Good stereo music, the option to talk with others (or not), and a fairly long life on a single charge. More expensive, but way more comfortable.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Thanks. I thought they looked like they stick out to far. It's not an issue so much of $$ with the sena its that I found with the speakers its a common complaing that you cant hear them at speed also if they were loud enough to overcome the road noise I can only imagine what the decibel level woudl be. My hearing is bad enough as it is and I dont want to do more damage. I dont mind regular ear buds but the cord always gets caught on something. I lost one ipod when the wind wipped it out of my pocket
Old 08-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
You can get regular earbuds and plug them into a bluetooth 'dogtag' that hangs around your neck. I had a Jabra bluetooth and Skullcandy earphones that I used for a while and they work pretty well but I ended up getting a Scala Rider. I could hear music, etc., much better with the earbuds but the Scala is less hassle to get on and off plus it has intercom capability.
cchoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Thanks. I thought they looked like they stick out to far. It's not an issue so much of $$ with the sena its that I found with the speakers its a common complaing that you cant hear them at speed also if they were loud enough to overcome the road noise I can only imagine what the decibel level woudl be. My hearing is bad enough as it is and I dont want to do more damage. I dont mind regular ear buds but the cord always gets caught on something. I lost one ipod when the wind wipped it out of my pocket
Get the Sena and the mount that allows you to use any wired earbuds you want. That's what I do and it's the best of both worlds. I buy relatively cheap earbuds, like $20, so if they break I'm not too upset.

What you are saying about the noise is exactly why I switched from the helmet mounted speakers to the earbuds. To hear the music I had to turn the volume up so high I'd have a massive headache after an hour. Now I have no wind noise and clear sound for music or phone calls.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
Get the Sena and the mount that allows you to use any wired earbuds you want. That's what I do and it's the best of both worlds. I buy relatively cheap earbuds, like $20, so if they break I'm not too upset.

What you are saying about the noise is exactly why I switched from the helmet mounted speakers to the earbuds. To hear the music I had to turn the volume up so high I'd have a massive headache after an hour. Now I have no wind noise and clear sound for music or phone calls.
The buds plug into the helmet or somewhere else?