ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Wasca OP
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 566
Thumb Import GPX Files - Garmin Zumo 350LM

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Garmin have finally released a new update to the Zumo350LM that includes a new app called Tracks.

You can now happily drag and drop your tracks from Basecamp directly into your Zumo and then have the tracks appear on your main map. You can also convert the track to a trip so that it shows up on your map as a bold magenta line that you can follow. To select the new converted trip, simply select Apps from the main menu and then Trip Planner and you should see your newly converted track as a trip.

In the Tracks list you can toggle on/off whether a track appears on the main map or not. This is handy for only displaying the tracks you want to see on your particular journey. You can also change the tracks colour to suit. You can also rename a trip on the device if you want to.

Here is the list of updates from Garmin.

Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70
  • Added the Tracks app, which allows you to save and manage tracks on the device.
  • Added Memory Card Data Sharing, which allows you to save waypoints, tracks, and trips to an SD card.
  • Fixed an issue with reviewing turn instructions when calculating a route.
  • Fixed an issue with route calculation using cityXplorer maps.
  • Improved map display performance.
  • Improved interoperability with BaseCamp.
  • Improved route calculation performance.
  • Improved search bar performance.
  • Improved software stability.

================================================== ==========

Hi Guys

Last year I purchased a Garmin Zumo350LM not knowing much about GPS units. I thought it would be perfect and it was, right up to the point where I wanted to use GPX files from other riders.

If you own one of these units you're well aware of the heart break you felt after shelling out all that money on a cool unit only to find that you can't import that awesome GPX track your mate's got lined up for you!

Well good news, I found out how to take those .gdb, .gpx, .kml or .kmz (plus others) and get them into a format that the Zumo will import and you can select it and follow the pink line!

The Process

First go and get this software WinGDB3 at http://www.sackman.info/. This will take the GPX files and convert it to a format your Zumo350 will like.

Once installed run the program and select your file and change the settings as per the image below.

Click the convert button.

This will copy the file to the clipboard. Now open your copy of BaseCamp (Should have come with your Zumo350)

If you dont have your Zumo plugged into your pc do it now.

Next, under the library on the left hand side right click on "My Collection" and click on "New List Folder". Give the folder a meaningful name, this is where we will save the track.

Left click to select the folder you just created and then click on the Edit menu then paste.

You will then be asked to name the list for your data. Type in a name.

The track will then be avaialble in your collection and you can then drag and drop them into your Zumo350LM internal storage.

Just grab the items that have the three green squares next to them and drag them into the gray Internal Storage folder on your Zumo. They will begin to copy over into that folder.

Once it has finished copying disconnect your Zumo and start it up.

Viewing The Track

To find the track and follow it, start at the the main screen on the Zumo and click on Apps

Then click on Trip Planner

You may see an egg timer on the screen as the tracks load. You should now see a list of the tracks you imported.

Click on the track you want to view. To preview the track click on the Map button or to navigate with it select the Go button.

When you select Go It will ask you to select the next destination, select the top item, normally the lowest numbered item, then click the Start button.

And there you go, you can now follow the pink line of the imported GPX file. VERY IMPORTANT! Turn OFF the Route recalculation option in the settings.

ENJOY!

IF THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR YOU.....

If the tracks dont appear in your garmin as described you may need to turn on the "Mass Storage" option on your garmin. Follow these steps.

On your Zumo go to the Volume screen and tap and hold the top right corner of the screen for 10 secs.

You will see a Diagnostic menu appear.

Scroll down to MTP Settings and change it to Mass Storage.

You should then be able to see it as a USB storage device on Windows PC's

Now go back and try the GPX import procedure again.

Token's of appreciation via a beer at the pub will be most welcomed

Wasca screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 05:59 AM
Wasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Very nice write-up!

Unless I misunderstand, what you are doing is converting a track to a route. Can't one simply use BaseCamp to open the GPX file and then convert the track to a route within BaseCamp? You right-click on the track you want, then select "Create route from selected track". Does that produce a result that differs from your method with that 3rd party software?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Wasca OP
Adventurized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
....Does that produce a result that differs from your method with that 3rd party software?
It sure does, converting a track to a route breaks the track up into many smaller routes, I thinks it's related to the "via points" it tries to create.

I've been on the phone to Garmin about this issue for many hours and in the end no one could help me, then I discovered this method just recently.

Wasca screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 05:44 AM
Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasca View Post
It sure does, converting a track to a route breaks the track up into many smaller routes, I thinks it's related to the "via points" it tries to create.

I've been on the phone to Garmin about this issue for many hours and in the end no one could help me, then I discovered this method just recently.
When you import a Route to the zumo350LaMe it sees every Via-Point as a Start/End-point to a Route segment. That's why you get a one-to-many result when importing a route. What WinGDB3 is doing is removing the via-point coding in the Track to Route conversion. So now the zumo350LaMe doesn't see via-points in the Route and you get the entire length of the original.

BaseCamp will not do that because those of us who don't have a zumo350LaMe GPS might not appreciate it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Great info regarding the masstorage. Now I found the missing mapfile in the .System folder!
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
fishsniffer
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was about to remove this borderline POS of a GPS from my bike and take it back until I found your post. Thanks man and thanks to the guy who wrote the software.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Wasca OP
Adventurized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsniffer View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was about to remove this borderline POS of a GPS from my bike and take it back until I found your post. Thanks man and thanks to the guy who wrote the software.
You're most welcome, I was in a similar position to you before I figured this all out. It's a shame that Garmin has not listened to its end users with regards to this device and its lack of ease when it comes to importing GPX files. I can imagine it would be an easy software update to allow this to happen.

I've emailed Garmin many times about this issue with no real response. Fail Garmin, wake up and listen to your customers.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Confused by what I see in BaseCamp

I finally got around to experimenting with this program and a GPX file. I followed the steps in the first post. I now have a number of routes in my new folder and list. Although I have not reviewed all of them, the ones I did review in BaseCamp seem to follow along the roads I had wanted them to. So far, so good.

Question:

1. When I double-click the route name to open it and look at the various items that it is composed of, it now only shows me the starting point and ending point. What happens with turn-by-turn navigation, I mean will I still get voice prompts to "turn right in .2 miles" etc?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I finally got around to experimenting with this program and a GPX file. I followed the steps in the first post. I now have a number of routes in my new folder and list. Although I have not reviewed all of them, the ones I did review in BaseCamp seem to follow along the roads I had wanted them to. So far, so good.

Question:

1. When I double-click the route name to open it and look at the various items that it is composed of, it now only shows me the starting point and ending point. What happens with turn-by-turn navigation, I mean will I still get voice prompts to "turn right in .2 miles" etc?
Yes, you will get nav directions. WINGDB3 turned the track points into shaping points which are not visible so your route is a point-to-point route now. Just don't allow it to recalculate or you may loose the path that you intended. If you do, just stop navigating it and restart it.

Oh, and if you're going to use BaseCamp, you don't need WinGDB3. BaseCamp can convert your Track to a Route and you can change any or all of the via points in the newly created Route to Shaping Points (so they will not be seen or announced in navigation).

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 09:16 AM
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Yes, you will get nav directions. WINGDB3 turned the track points into shaping points which are not visible so your route is a point-to-point route now. Just don't allow it to recalculate or you may loose the path that you intended. If you do, just stop navigating it and restart it.

Oh, and if you're going to use BaseCamp, you don't need WinGDB3. BaseCamp can convert your Track to a Route and you can change any or all of the via points in the newly created Route to Shaping Points (so they will not be seen or announced in navigation).
Interesting. Thanks, Dan.

The GPX file that I imported after converting with WinGDB3 also contained routes (that I had built) that when sent to the 350LaMe in the past would be made into 2 routes. The WinGDB3 sw asked if I wanted the routes handled like tracks, and I said yes. Having dragged one to internal memory as instructed and then checked, the 350LaMe did indeed keep it as a single route rather than splitting it up as it had in the past.

(semi-OT) The problem I have had with BaseCamp when converting tracks to routes is that then I end up without my turns being announced, and I find myself going off route until I look down and notice. I have off-route recalc turned off so my routes doesn't get hosed, but I end up having to stare at the screen a lot, which I would prefer not to do.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
(semi-OT) The problem I have had with BaseCamp when converting tracks to routes is that then I end up without my turns being announced, and I find myself going off route until I look down and notice. I have off-route recalc turned off so my routes doesn't get hosed, but I end up having to stare at the screen a lot, which I would prefer not to do.
What is the workflow you are using to convert your track to a route in BaseCamp?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
What is the workflow you are using to convert your track to a route in BaseCamp?
Oh hell, wish I could remember.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Wasca OP
Adventurized!

Question

Quote:
Hey Don

If you don't need WinGDB3 can you do up a step-by-step on how to use BaseCamp to convert the gpx files into a usable track (shaping points)? I'd like to try it. Most of my navigation is off rd on un-mapped tracks hence via point are of no use to me, I just like following the magenta line.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasca View Post
Hey Don

If you don't need WinGDB3 can you do up a step-by-step on how to use BaseCamp to convert the gpx files into a usable track (shaping points)? I'd like to try it. Most of my navigation is off rd on un-mapped tracks hence via point are of no use to me, I just like following the magenta line.
I'd be happy to but first we need to speak the same GPS language. You might follow a track in the bush but you can not follow a Track on the zumo350LM because it does not support Off-road Tracks (to my knowledge -- I don't own one). It can only record your movements in the Trip Log (which is a Track in GPS-speak).

Routes are defined by routing points (waypoints, via points, shaping points) and a Routing Algorithm is used to connect them with a line along "routable roads" using the data associated with the road.

So, now if you'll tell me what is in the GPX file you want to "convert". Is it a Track or a Route someone has sent you?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Wasca OP
Adventurized!

Quote:
I'd be happy to but first we need to speak the same GPS language. You might follow a track in the bush but you can not follow a Track on the zumo350LM because it does not support Off-road Tracks (to my knowledge -- I don't own one). It can only record your movements in the Trip Log (which is a Track in GPS-speak).

Routes are defined by routing points (waypoints, via points, shaping points) and a Routing Algorithm is used to connect them with a line along "routable roads" using the data associated with the road.

So, now if you'll tell me what is in the GPX file you want to "convert". Is it a Track or a Route someone has sent you?
The files I get normally contain hundreds some times thousands of points I don't think there is any route information in them. I see co-ordinate points with altitudes. Most of the files I get follow actually roads displayed in BaseCamp and minor trails that don't, some even go through private property.

I don't need directions spoken to me, just need a magenta line to follow, this is why I wrote my original post on how I found away to display the track as a magenta line and follow it on the Zumo350LM.