Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #31
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,461
Hey Roger like your steel fender. LOL.. We have used them since day one on most projects. They work and look good if you get a good source.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #32
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486
Tractor Supply, Claude!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #33
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Tractor Supply, Claude!
If anyone Is thinking of getting one of these fenders look closely as some are are not very flat when looking across them from the side. We get ours from Rigid Hitch but do modify them to get a full 180 degree coverage.
OMG I actually revealed the source of one of our products....wow.....what now...lol.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #34
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

I bent mine mostly straight.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #35
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
" Okay I do not understand the big issue here that is slamming swaybars. Hopefully everyone has read the link provided by Davebig which is from the HPSIdecars site written by good friend Bill Ballou. There are videos there also to show what they can do. As far as I know there have been four of us in this country who have regularly installed antiswaybar. We all do them differently to a point and they all seem to work okay.
Swaybars......."

My apology to inmate ChuckS for this hijack!

Claude, rest assured there was never a slamming of swaybars by anyone. There were opinons after opinions.... I don't think that there was ever any misinformation either regarding swaybars!

I for one do like anything attached to my 1200 GS swingarm...nothing wrong with that.

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #36
ChuckS OP
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 637
Hijack....?

This is more like a master class in the black arts of hack suspension. I'm learning lots!

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #37
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
" Okay I do not understand the big issue here that is slamming swaybars. Hopefully everyone has read the link provided by Davebig which is from the HPSIdecars site written by good friend Bill Ballou. There are videos there also to show what they can do. As far as I know there have been four of us in this country who have regularly installed antiswaybar. We all do them differently to a point and they all seem to work okay.
Swaybars......."

My apology to inmate ChuckS for this hijack!

Claude, rest assured there was never a slamming of swaybars by anyone. There were opinons after opinions.... I don't think that there was ever any misinformation either regarding swaybars!

I for one do like anything attached to my 1200 GS swingarm...nothing wrong with that.

cheers...
No biggie Elmer. Just a little food for thought though.,...attaching a swaybar to a swingarm is no more of a big deal than adding spring rate to a rear shock. In fact it is probably less of a big deal in many ways. When you wrote earlier about attaching it to the subframe indicated totally that you do not quite grasp what a swaybar is. No offense please but a 'swaybar' that does not connect two suspensions together is no longer an anti-swaybar and is just a torsion bar. A torsion bar is basically an uncoiled spring.
By the way there are no additional lateral forces acquired by the use of an anti-swaybar.
How many fenders did you go through?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
No biggie Elmer. Just a little food for thought though.,...attaching a swaybar to a swingarm is no more of a big deal than adding spring rate to a rear shock. In fact it is probably less of a big deal in many ways. When you wrote earlier about attaching it to the subframe indicated totally that you do not quite grasp what a swaybar is. No offense please but a 'swaybar' that does not connect two suspensions together is no longer an anti-swaybar and is just a torsion bar. A torsion bar is basically an uncoiled spring.
By the way there are no additional lateral forces acquired by the use of an anti-swaybar.
How many fenders did you go through?
With MUCHO respect Claude.................You have to admit that attaching the anti-swaybar to the final drive housing/swing arm housing is loading that connection differently than what it was designed for. The question is, is that connection strong enough for the loads transferred from the sidecar's swingarm????? Well apparently it is as, there have not been any failures reported as of .........yet. All of that being said, I must agree that it is a brilliant solution to the amount of sway seen with the long travel BMW GS rigs. I for one, am willing to try it because I've got more "Monkey Motion" with my rig than I like. Although I don't completely agree with Elmer's opinion, it does cause one to think twice, and that is not a bad thing.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #39
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
With MUCHO respect Claude.................You have to admit that attaching the anti-swaybar to the final drive housing/swing arm housing is loading that connection differently than what it was designed for. The question is, is that connection strong enough for the loads transferred from the sidecar's swingarm????? Well apparently it is as, there have not been any failures reported as of .........yet. All of that being said, I must agree that it is a brilliant solution to the amount of sway seen with the long travel BMW GS rigs. I for one, am willing to try it because I've got more "Monkey Motion" with my rig than I like. Although I don't completely agree with Elmer's opinion, it does cause one to think twice, and that is not a bad thing.

The last of BMW HPN race bikes that they jumped all the time, aluminum swingarms probably lightened stock ones.

Elmers swaybar phobia seems disingenuous, true I have not read his trip to Alaska thread, rumor has it he suffered allot of mechanical failures.Is he as intolerant of DMC's product or is he just casting aspersion at we swaybar users ? I'm only agreeing to disagree everyone whose met him tells me he's a saint and has multiple professional degree's though none in mechanical engineering.
My point is Elmer don't use your Adv rider hero clout to knock things your not familiar with unless you have information based on engineering or experience Good intentions never fixed anything.
This whole think is about as stupid and uneducated as believing Drones entire disaster should be laid on the ball joint.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #40
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Elmers swaybar phobia seems disingenuous, true I have not read his trip to Alaska thread, rumor has it he suffered allot of mechanical failures.Is he as intolerant of DMC's product or is he just casting aspersion at we swaybar users ? I'm only agreeing to disagree everyone whose met him tells me he's a saint and has multiple professional degree's though none in mechanical engineering.
My point is Elmer don't use your Adv rider hero clout to knock things your not familiar with unless you have information based on engineering or experience Good intentions never fixed anything.
This whole think is about as stupid and uneducated as believing Drones entire disaster should be laid on the ball joint.
Geez Dave, you mean like folks who haven't used camber adjusters or sidecar brakes speaking against, or questioning their value?
Personally, as opinions are expressed, my interest is piqued to the point I'll do some more research and learn more to enable my own decisions.
There is value to a civil contrary opinion.

As a post script, the steering mod by Hannigan keeps the original forged piece for the ball joint connection and places the extension beneath it.

www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #41
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,405
Bob
Hoisted on my own petard ? I think I've been pretty neutral on sidecar brakes and camber adjusters but true I have not used either, but you can count on me being against using the camber adjuster as a cornering device and depending what sort of swaybar set up one uses you may not need one.
Brakes I'm neither for or against
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=912001&page=3
I think post number 35 is interesting.DB
Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #42
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
...you can count on me being against using the camber adjuster as a cornering device...
You should try it. Works great!

Speaking of cornering devices, a separate sidecar brake makes right handers a hoot especially on gravel or dirt.

edit: Plus when you pull to a stop, you can take your hands off the bars, type a text message, & steer by dancing back and forth on the two brake pedals.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #43
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
You should try it. Works great!

Speaking of cornering devices, a separate sidecar brake makes right handers a hoot especially on gravel or dirt.

edit: Plus when you pull to a stop, you can take your hands off the bars, type a text message, & steer by dancing back and forth on the two brake pedals.

This.

And rapid lane changes/evasive maneuvers.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #44
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Bobmws:

Is that a Steerite ? Or whatever it was called that Side Effects [http://www.sidecars.ca/#!sidecars/cyuu ] used to make? Or is it something Hannigan developed ?

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #45
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
I am done "Swaybar-ring" or should I say Swaysparring! with DB!

Regarding electric tilt and sidecar brakes! Been there, done that, now DB you haven't . ????

Electric tilt is cool...alright... like Claude says is primarily designed for road crown correction; (true).. but can be great while riding along mountain cliffs where the trail is slanted downwards on the Tubs side but NOT the other way around) ; great against side winds or raising the Tub a bit after my SWMBO ate too much . It's useful.

Sidecar brakes...after thousands of miles of practice I used to pretty much stop the whole rig straight;.....assists in slowing a heavy ladden rig better and faster; very useful in descending steep mountain trails where just bike braking doesn't suffice due sidecars momentum ( ABS must be off).

Then of course I can "dance" a right turn doughnut at the - of the crowd.

It's all relative....

Cheers....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote