Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
Bobmws:

Is that a Steerite ? Or whatever it was called that Side Effects [http://www.sidecars.ca/#!sidecars/cyuu ] used to make? Or is it something Hannigan developed ?

Thanks,
Duncan
Duncan,
I believe, but won't swear to it, that Hannigan makes theirs in house. They call it a "Steer-Lite". Claude may know for sure as he's a dealer for them.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #47
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Bob
Hoisted on my own petard ? I think I've been pretty neutral on sidecar brakes and camber adjusters but true I have not used either, but you can count on me being against using the camber adjuster as a cornering device and depending what sort of swaybar set up one uses you may not need one.
Brakes I'm neither for or against
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=912001&page=3
I think post number 35 is interesting.DB
No harm intended Dave. I totally agree with you on the separation of swaybars and camber adjusters. They primarily serve 2 different functions. I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to attempt to use my adjuster as a cornering device. I can understand it on a very long sweeper, but what's around the next bend? I'll keep mine for road crown and weight adjustment. I still want a sway bar, have to get some $$ together and talk to Claude
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Elmers swaybar phobia seems disingenuous, true I have not read his trip to Alaska thread, rumor has it he suffered allot of mechanical failures.Is he as intolerant of DMC's product or is he just casting aspersion at we swaybar users ? I'm only agreeing to disagree everyone whose met him tells me he's a saint and has multiple professional degree's though none in mechanical engineering.
My point is Elmer don't use your Adv rider hero clout to knock things your not familiar with unless you have information based on engineering or experience Good intentions never fixed anything.
This whole think is about as stupid and uneducated as believing Drones entire disaster should be laid on the ball joint.
Boy, that's the pot calling the kettle black here!

I'm seriously considering heading across the country and visiting Claude to get a sway bar attached to my rig. I too have a lot of, well, extra bounciness even with the new shocks (on the bike, standard shock still on the sidecar) and the more I read the more it sounds like the logical next step. Heh, now to just find some time off to do another cross-country trip!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #49
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Boy, that's the pot calling the kettle black here!

I'm seriously considering heading across the country and visiting Claude to get a sway bar attached to my rig. I too have a lot of, well, extra bounciness even with the new shocks (on the bike, standard shock still on the sidecar) and the more I read the more it sounds like the logical next step. Heh, now to just find some time off to do another cross-country trip!!
Come on out Gypsy....be a good ride,,lol. Can put you up at my place while we do the work. You too Bob..we'll have a swaybar rally ..lol.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/

claude screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 03:13 PM
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #50
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Duncan,
I believe, but won't swear to it, that Hannigan makes theirs in house. They call it a "Steer-Lite". Claude may know for sure as he's a dealer for them.
Hannigan does some and we do some that hannigan uses. All telelever setups are not the same.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #51
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
I

Electric tilt is cool...alright... like Claude says is primarily designed for road crown correction; (true).. but can be great while riding along mountain cliffs where the trail is slanted downwards on the Tubs side but NOT the other way around) ; great against side winds or raising the Tub a bit after my SWMBO ate too much . It's useful.

It's all relative....
Cheers....
I never thought about sidewinds I'll bet he's right I'll bet you didn't run that SWMBO line past the haus frau ?
Duncan
That thing is the same sort of trail reducer you have only it attaches to the forks differently moves the ball joint back 3/4".Most of the trail reducers for telelever front forks do exactly the same thing, but are different depending on what fork they attache too.DB
Old 09-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #52
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Claude & DB

That Steerlite looks like it might - repeat might - work better than what I've got. It seems to keep the OEM ball joint and lower triple tree and then add the trail reducer underneath [I can't tell from the picture how it is attached] appearing to lift the triple tree thus preserving ride height.

It seems/looks simpler and more stable - Hannigan seems to use it or recommend it on all their builds.

Claude, since you have installed both, I'd appreciate your views.

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #53
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Claude & DB

That Steerlite looks like it might - repeat might - work better than what I've got. It seems to keep the OEM ball joint and lower triple tree and then add the trail reducer underneath [I can't tell from the picture how it is attached] appearing to lift the triple tree thus preserving ride height.

It seems/looks simpler and more stable - Hannigan seems to use it or recommend it on all their builds.

Thanks,
Duncan
For a change a I don't really know but I'd be surprised if it fit on your fork as the road bike forks are different than the GS forks, the GS's require some that clamps all around the tube what you see pictured goes on existing holes in the road bike forks.DB
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #54
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

The nicest fix is a leading link.Upper is R1200gs lower is K1200 rs.gt or whatever.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #55
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
Claude & DB

Thanks,
Duncan
You have a 1200 right? It is a different deal on the 1100 and 1150 bikes. Give me a call. Duncan.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #56
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
You have a 1200 right? It is a different deal on the 1100 and 1150 bikes. Give me a call. Duncan.
Claude:

Will do. I have some other things I want to discuss too . . . .
Duncan
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #57
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Gentlemen and Ladies I'm pretty much a neophyte when it comes to the whole sidecar environment.

But since May 2012 until today I've put on 8K on my outfit. The only modification that I have on the sidecar is ECC electric camber control.

My bike is a 2009 GS with ESA electronic suspension adjustment.

I put on most of the 8K miles loaded with camping gear and my wife, on the worst roads you can find.I just came back from Prince of Wales Island about 1500 miles of road building gravel.

I haven't been on the forums that much but a friend (angtalaska) just told me about Drones mishap, and asked me why I didn't have a steering modification done to my bike.
I live in Alaska and can probably count on one hand the amount of sidecars there are in the state on one hand

In fact we had a memorial day get together and four people showed up and one guy was from Colorado and he was driving a Ural

I explained to him that when I bought the car and had it shipped up to me I never thought about having a steering modification. Especially when I read about Elmers dilemma with the hack wheel (when he was ready to drop the hack off at DMC and ride his bike home.) And everyone told him he couldn't ride his bike with that steering mod. That sold me that I really didn't a steering mod.
What does the swaybar do?

I have not noticed any problems with handling (but maybe I'm not smart enough to realize it)

On paved roads I run the speed limit plus utilize both ECC and ESA as needed

I'm wondering if its just because my bike is newer that I don't seem to have the problems

Thoughts please

Thanks

Bob

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #58
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Alaskahack

Ok here goes steering mods just reduce trail which is the motorcycles steering geometry resistance to turn away from straight, motorcycles turn by leaning sidecars turn the wheel.
The trail reduction makes steering easier especially around town and at less than highway speeds.
Rigs have operated without steering mods and still do everywhere, I'll be 64 shortly and have sore shoulders I need it, maybe you don't.
The tugs are still rideable but it would not be recommended for a long trip, I've riden mine, Stroker rides his but not cross country double.

Drones disaster was not caused by the trail mod, there are lots of them in service everyhwere no real history of problems.(I do not like the mod that was on his bike,it changes the fork angle) His most likely came about due to someone not loctiting the ball joint in place and his failure to fully investigate a vibration problem. Nobody wants that much trouble but BMW and the automotive industry has used ball joints forever loctited and torqued in place.
If you like the way yours drives, you did an excelent job of assembling it and it's perfect.DB
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #59
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
You know I've been reading this thread with great interest.So far the only thing I use my camber ajusterfor is to level the rig when my wife is in it or when solo..When I first got my rig there were things I would of done different if I would of had it built myself..But I bought from the orignal owner. Hoping to save time and money by buying an already built rig.. Big mistake here.. Now I'm getting ready to do a rebuild to get it right.. I guess I didn't save much money did I..I still might keep the the Camber adjuster,but I will put the sway bar on my rig and anew sub frame..I NEED TO TRUST MY RIG SO FARTHATS NOT HAPPENING..I do like my setup in bike & the Ural tub that won't change..But other things will be change...And thats the truth.....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #60
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Ok here goes steering mods just reduce trail which is the motorcycles steering geometry resistance to turn away from straight, motorcycles turn by leaning sidecars turn the wheel.
The trail reduction makes steering easier especially around town and at less than highway speeds.
Rigs have operated without steering mods and still do everywhere, I'll be 64 shortly and have sore shoulders I need it, maybe you don't.
The tugs are still rideable but it would not be recommended for a long trip, I've riden mine, Stroker rides his but not cross country double.

Drones disaster was not caused by the trail mod, there are lots of them in service everyhwere no real history of problems.(I do not like the mod that was on his bike,it changes the fork angle) His most likely came about due to someone not loctiting the ball joint in place and his failure to fully investigate a vibration problem. Nobody wants that much trouble but BMW and the automotive industry has used ball joints forever loctited and torqued in place.
If you like the way yours drives, you did an excelent job of assembling it and it's perfect.DB
All well said, DB!..... ALASKAHACK, IF your setup doesn't bother you then leave it. I left mine for awhile didn't mind that the pectoralis majors were getting bigger, until I was drawn into reading stuff here on ADV Hacks to try the steering mod...woooo....roughly 60% less effort, could turn using one arm thus the later self installation of one from DMC. DMC at that time didn't make them and were contracted out; an exact OEM look-alike cross tree. Manufacture was of high quality.

OEM on the left.... copy with trail mod on the right..

Re-used the BMW ball joint

These were for the 1200 GS as the brake lines route through this cross tree while on the 1100/1150 the lines route outboard; no need to remove brake lines and bleed, while on the 1200 GS you have to do the ABS bleeding dance!

While my Tub was disabled and I had to ride the Tug to Haines, AK....Oh, YES, it is NOT recommended to ride the Tug although I did it for 100 miles.

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote