User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #61
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,345
Way off tracl but helpful to everyone !

At long last Elmer and I agree on something. How about the Dedone trail reduction Elmer by shortening the A frame the fork remains at the stock angle, it seems to require less front spring ?
I'd be also willing to bet with the extra heavy spring Drone had on the front the shock was topping up and struggling. I had a # 12 Ohlins spring on my rig which is just as heavy, but the fork in the stock position, I had no bottoming issues.
I just put some Yacugars on mine and they will only warranty them if they get to recommend the starting spring rate. In bold print with their directions You Must Have Sag Put your analytical German mind to work and get Drone back on track, suspensions only good if it moves. DB
Old 09-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #62
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
At long last Elmer and I agree on something. How about the Dedone trail reduction Elmer by shortening the A frame the fork remains at the stock angle, it seems to require less front spring ?
I'd be also willing to bet with the extra heavy spring Drone had on the front the shock was topping up and struggling. I had a # 12 Ohlins spring on my rig which is just as heavy, but the fork in the stock position, I had no bottoming issues.
I just put some Yacugars on mine and they will only warranty them if they get to recommend the starting spring rate. In bold print with their directions You Must Have Sag Put your analytical German mind to work and get Drone back on track, suspensions only good if it moves. DB

ChuckS.....sorry for going off topic with DB;.. we'll get back to Barre de Torsion eventually .

Achtung Davidovich ! Yes, the Dedome would have been better for my former rig, but was swayed to go USA, USA at great $$. I would have had to send my A-frame to Vive la France!. Here's my e-mail conversation with PJ. Dedome(2008)

Bonjour Elmer,

je vous remercie de cette consultation.
j'ai une solution pour réduire le déport au sol de la R 1200 GS.
ci-joint quelques photos.
le prix est de 742 € + environ 100 € de conditionnement et transport.
il faut nous faire parvenir le bras de suspension de votre moto pour le modifier ; ou je vous le fournis (prix à préciser).

à votre disposition pour le complément d'informations dont vous avez besoin.
salutations cordiales.

Pj Dedôme

DEDÔME SARL - Z.I. les Franchises - F-52200 Langres - tél. 33 (0)3 25 84 74 74.
www.dedome.com

Translation for ye Les' Amis:

Hi Elmer,

I thank you for your inquiry.
I have a solution to reduce the trail for the R 1200 GS.
Attached are some pictures.
The price is about € 742 + € 100 for packaging and transportation.
You need to send us the arm(telelever) of your bike so that we can modify it, or I can provide you with a new one. (price to be determined).

I am at your disposal for further information if you need it.

Sincerely yours,
Pj Dedome

Now with the Dedome you wouldn't have something like this:

Wouldn't you say that the ball joint angle is a bit although still immensely strong.

cheers...
TAT 2011-2012
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #63
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

I got the idea from Didier twintwin and did my own and several others with a welder buddy.Now I find out I can't spell in any language.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=dedone

My rig and my thread below
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826829

Do you think there is a value in retaining the stock fork angle ? I do it doesn't change any lever angles on the fork . Twintwin, Claude,Stroker FR700 a possibly you seem to be the only ones capable of having a thought about this.I've done 4 or 5 of them now and offered to do a A frame for Duncan, but I don't think he understands what I've done.DB
Old 09-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #64
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
I got the idea from Didier twintwin and did my own and several others with a welder buddy.Now I find out I can't spell in any language.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=dedone

My rig and my thread below
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826829

Do you think there is a value in retaining the stock fork angle ? I do it doesn't change any lever angles on the fork . Twintwin, Claude,Stroker FR700 a possibly you seem to be the only ones capable of having a thought about this.I've done 4 or 5 of them now and offered to do a A frame for Duncan, but I don't think he understands what I've done.DB
Me likey-likey what you did to your bike. Where were you in 2008? You indeed did "DeDome" it yourself Ball joint pretty straight up the way it's supposed to be.

Yes, by retaining the stock angle you could stay with the OEM front shocks if you so wish(less $$) and not having to go Hyperpro or equivalent(which I did; $$$$ for added clearance). The GS is built with a reasonably long travel, softly sprung suspension. It provides an awesome smooth ride over very rough terrain in its stock two wheel configuration but then by adding a sidecar you will sag...where one should want to improve the overall "shocking" for the bike alone instead of the OEM's, but sans heavy spring that Drone might have carried, gotta let it bounce some! ....then add a a Barre de Torsion to the sidecar but mais pas connecté à mon bras oscillant .

cheers...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #65
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Thanks for responding to my questions.

I can vouch for the camber adjustment being a great assist, especially between Tok Alaska and Haines YT. on the Alcan (60-75 mph crosswinds) Typical
And as far as getting sore shoulders thats just a sign your alive I'm pushing 70

Keep riding guys

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding

Alaskahack screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 06:10 AM
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #66
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahack View Post
I can vouch for the camber adjustment being a great assist, especially between Tok Alaska and Haines YT. on the Alcan (60-75 mph crosswinds) Typical
And as far as getting sore shoulders thats just a sign your alive I'm pushing 70

Keep riding guys
Thanks for you input. 60-75 mph crosswinds..wooo...!! Sore shoulder, hmmnn... maybe I can help?
I am pushing 69, always had sore shoulders myself until I added Roxx risers or equivalent (wrists a bit higher than your resting elbows) and with a bit of rearward (toward you) adjustment so that your elbows are bend a bit more than 90 degrees. Wrist joints must be straight with hand; no left/right, no up/down. You must consider your physical needs at an advanced age to make continuous riding a pleasure. I don't know if my former set up suits Duncan, he's taller than me!

cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 07:58 PM
Old 09-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #67
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oh yes, just south of Destruction Bay going across a small river, the other location is between Haines Jct. and Haines itself, I've got a clip of the area I'm talking about and I'll post it when I find it.

I jump into my seventh decade in November, I met a couple about our age that have been on the road in a jeep for the last seven month, tent camping. Me and my wife were out for 22 days camping. The first couple days were really hard getting in and out of the two man tent we have, but then it got a lot easier.
You really have to keep doing things that you used to do, at our advanced age , you may not do them as fast or as well but you should still try. Because the only other option is sitting in your Barkalounger with a morphine drip. I dont want to go that way. I know to many people a lot younger then us that are in that position.

http://youtu.be/f3EXZpCi8UA

Just found that clip

Retired and Riding

Alaskahack screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 10:11 PM Reason: Added vidio clip
Old 09-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #68
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Again thanks for answering my questions !

Sorry for highjacking this thread.

Bob:

Retired and Riding
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #69
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
I just sat here and reread this whole thread agin..When it goes to Claude.i will have it rebuilt.I will add a swaybar. after rewelding the mounts for my camber adjuster(they brokeon us) I'm going to keep it. also right now My tub has a stock brake system.Its a piece of shit,thats going away.No more sidecar brake for me.This is my 3rd rig 1st with a brake don't like it.I've already changed my shocks kears ago with Works shocks..The one thing I'd like to do take the DMC lower treeoff replace with Claudes to lift my front end back up but I don't know I will have enough funds for that peice..This is probally one of the better threads in the last couple of years I've read. Lots of great opions here.And the best foroms on the internet today..Keep it up boys..Lets have a party....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #70
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post

I'm seriously considering heading across the country and visiting Claude to get a sway bar attached to my rig. I too have a lot of, well, extra bounciness even with the new shocks (on the bike, standard shock still on the sidecar) and the more I read the more it sounds like the logical next step. Heh, now to just find some time off to do another cross-country trip!!
Gypsy:
I had Claude install a swaybar for me on my way home after getting the rig from Elmer. Took him about a day - but he made me sleep in back of the shop - no offer of a room at his house. He must prefer young redheads to old graybeards

The swaybar and install appears fairly straightforward. Boxermetal is close to you and surely has the skill set if Claude is willing to share his knowledge and expertise.

Just a random thought.

Duncan
Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #71
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Boy, that's the pot calling the kettle black here!

I'm seriously considering heading across the country and visiting Claude to get a sway bar attached to my rig. I too have a lot of, well, extra bounciness even with the new shocks (on the bike, standard shock still on the sidecar) and the more I read the more it sounds like the logical next step. Heh, now to just find some time off to do another cross-country trip!!
Claude shares info readily and I'd bet he'd be glad to tell and or show Chris boxermetal info, on the other hand Claude is quite a trip himself and definetly worth the tim.
I too have some new shocks Yacugars form Ted Porters they really respond to adjustments, turn the damping up less sway but stiffer ride.Currently experiment is turn damping down for nice ride but preload swaybar for more spring, so far I like it.DB