User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Oz: Duke690 goes north...

Departing Australia's New England region this weekend, going solo thru central Queensland aiming for the Gulf, then east to Cairns and back home just west of the Great Dividing Range...all sealed roads,no doubt some roadwork/sidetracks...a relaxing journey just to see the sun set on the Gulf waters...

Thats the plan...

Hope to post a few pics along the way....

:)
Old 08-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

first day....

Took off in cool 3degreesC following the inland roads north west...
Duke went fine, mainly sitting in $120 thru long stretches of countryside...
Not a lot of pix, the GoPro wouldnt turn on,bugga...then after 2 phonepix the mobile camera froze...so much for a pictorial start

But, as the day progressed the temps rose, just past Inverell I stripped down the layers and enjoyed the dry heat.
One thing I can report, the Bmw system6 is brilliant...cooling vents work fine, wind noise very minimal, and smooth... Also the rally3 jacketvents great, more heat as i venture inland north...

Did 590km today, landing in St George, QLD... didnt use the airhawk on the seat, no aches, just stuffed...

Dead kangaroos every 10-20 feet, cant imagine riding at night out here

Here i am enjoying a cuppa in 30degrees

Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Charelville-Barcaldine

Left Charleville this morning, stopped in Augathella, early opener...

Then off to Blackall, was getting a little tired, so wet my head, had a buzz cafe and did the next hundred+ to Barcaldine where I've taken a room, too tired to bother...this is the birthplace of the Labor Party.. we'll see if there's a party here nextweekend hey?
Cafe, in Blackall

Big fat tree...

Famous person..., Blackall...

I'll check out if any gopro pix came out ok later...

Duke going great, cruising $120 getting 4.5L/100km, that should give me about 280km range, but I'm topping up every big town anyway whilst resting my old body...
Comfortable position, just a little tiring doing 100km long straights watching out for animals...emu's popular thru the heat of the day, only dead kangaroos on the road, my jacket actually smelt of death at one point i passed so many dead bodies!!

Standard seat is a winner, first bike in my memory, oh..apart from the Z1300 Kawa, no sore butt, so far over 1000km, my back aches, but I've got a 'war wound' so thats expected...otherwise, i got real excited when i encountered TWO bends in the road...thats 2 bends in probably 400km LOL
More fun in due course...
Old 09-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
In.

So a kangaroo steak bbq by the side of the road is not a problem then.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
So a kangaroo steak bbq by the side of the road is not a problem then.
On the road I did today, about 350km,you could surely fill a 40foot container or more with the bodies I rode past !!!
No joke, so many...i stopped in one town and my jacket smelt like death, it was probably just up my nose...something I wont forget the smell of...
And...seeing one ahead I usually hit the horn a few times to scare away the various birds eating at the carcass...sometimes narrowly missing some if them
Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

To Barcaldine....

Well...
From Augathella, Tambo I got to Blackall and finally Barcaldine..
A few pics along the way...

Overtaking these seems to take a little longer....

Arriving in Barcaldine, here's the Barcoo Hotel

Tree of Knowledge...i wonder....is it working now?

Another Tree one,with towns buildings...

At a local Cafe, Tree and Windmill in the view...going to see it tonight, told its quite spectacularly lit up to an arty form of tree,hence the big box structure, inside it has hanging logs of various lengths to look like the tree leaf body...
We'll see...

Added some engine oil, lubed the chain,checked various nuts,bolts and kicked the tires...all Ok...

Off to dinner...Longreach tomorrow, no hurry,only 100 or so kms away,plan to spend a few days checking out the historical sights...

Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #7
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Tree of Knowledge...by night...

Had a nice steak and veg for evening meal,a nice Southern Comfort,then took the bike to see the Tree monument by night... neat sight..

Excuse some of the Gopro pics are blurred slightly,hand held it, probably too much southern :)

I stayed a while as some blue flashing lights were cruising... then did a full noise back to the motel... dead quiet country town and a no-baffle Akra...nice

Goodnight....
Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

3September

3.Sept.
Just over 100km to where I was planning to be last night, landing in Longreach, a town going back to its first settlement in 1860...

Staying here for a few nights, a few local touristy things to see...

Started with the QANTAS Museum and original hanger... I'm not into things aircraft, but it was interesting to see how flight in Oz started...
A few pics along the way..

Then a cuppa, snack in the outback photographic museum,
some neat shots of our amazing country, sorry, didn't pic any pics...

Lazy,no hurry trip...got the last few nights in any motel, seems they're all booked out..nice...

About midway north here I think, only oiled the chain a few times, topped the oil, think a chain adjustment in due course,might change the oil/filters in Cairns when i get there.... Duke has been good, certainly no stress sitting on 120 for 100km stretches...

Thats it for another day.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
Tomdog
Mapaholic

Oddometer: 302
Keep up the good work. Love the Duke but it needs a few twisties
Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Love the look of some of your towns on the route north...remind me of early 20th Century America.....since you folks are heading from Winter to Spring, how is the weather, temperatures?
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
Love the look of some of your towns on the route north...remind me of early 20th Century America.....since you folks are heading from Winter to Spring, how is the weather, temperatures?
Yeah it's still cool at night,about 14c but checked the next few days from here to my 'destination', heading for 33-36c (96.8F) , but dry, humidity only around 20-35%, so not really hot feeling..

Zero%rain till i head east then it's 80-100% during the next 8days ,that'll be hard to take with the heat

Most of the towns have farming history or mining,its amazing how they travelled back then,huge distances in weeks and months,here i am doing it in days.

Some of the trucks are 4 semi's long, buffeting knocks me about when they pass, great sight though, little wonder there's so much roadkill, they don't slow down for much!

Here's me doing snacks

Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Here's a nice one of the Duke, loaded at longreach station

Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #13
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

4 September

4Sept.
Stockmans Hall of Fame.
Took a walk thru history today, the Hall of Fame dedicated to those that started and are still living the Outback life, its certainly different.

Its big

Officially British...James Cook at the landing...

This was a Man Trap, about 4foot long!! Used to protect stock from thieves,can you imagine the pain!!

Home sweet home, circa 1880. Amazing life they had!

Outback surgery: a guy had a fall, ruptured his bladder, they got him to a guy who had a morse code machine who recieved surgical
instructions from someone on the other end ,they removed the bladder using these very tools, a pocket knife and razor...the guy survived but died from something else a time later... faint....

This tree cutting was carved by John McDouall Stuart on an epic journey of discovery, leaving Adelaide in October 1861, dipping his feet in the sea at Van Deimans Gulf,what is now Northern Territory.
Travelled some 2500kms?

On a more recent and happier note....

I had Brolga over for breakfast....

HyperPete screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 05:17 AM
HyperPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
tree of knowledge

Some clown poisoned the tree a few years back. They have tried to save it dont know how it went. Have a great trip.
boy60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

5 Sept.
Lazy day.

Did very little today, enjoyed the peace of being miles from nowhere,with a few roadtrains coming past.

Visited the Longreach Powerhouse Museum, interesting artifacts from times gone by, certainly makes one appreciate not only the efforts of the early settlers but my own situation, we've got it good nowadays!

Riding the single cylinder Duke 690 has a few vibrations, then I saw this piston, and imagined the bike that would be built around it....as if...

Otherwise, sidewalk cafe cuppas, chatting to locals, met a rider on a Veestrom who just arrived from crossing the Birdsville and inland from Adelaide, sounded a great adventure.

Just a snap of one typical Roadtrain, sized up next to my baby...

Otherwise, checked over various nuts,screws and things on the Duke, not many issues, all secure.

Head off tomorrow on the most barren section, Winton, Cloncurry then Normanton. I'm told I'll see camels and if i'm lucky, a tree or two...

That's it for today, who knows what excitment awaits around the next long straight :)