Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Enjoying the pics very much. I did much the same ride in late june in reverse order, karumba back to sydney (via walcha) in four days, sadly spent precious little time taking any pics. Happy to recommend the "Matilda's end" motel in Karumba, apart from having a chilled water filter in the room, they were very receptive to payment in cash, best bargain stay on the trip. Keep posting, i'm seeing more of this trip in your report than i did when i did the ride!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #17
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Friday 6 September

Leaving Longreach to Winton about 8, windy but the usual clear dry sunshine...

I was told there'd be lots of nothing along the way...they were right..

Overtaking a few of these made it interesting...

Then about 20km before Winton I turn off toward the Age of Dinasaur exibition...and realised I'm not much into dirt anymore

Doing only around 40-50kmh, think the small wheels didnt help much, felt insecure the whole way...

So I checked out a few old Aussie dinasaurs...

The model's (abive) bones were found in the area

Real nice views from the Mesa where the exibition is..

The on the way out wobbling around I encounter a bloody big BULL, so I slowed, revved up a bit thinking,like cows, it would scoot off..no no, it turns around and starts to go me...
I just had to become a better dirt rider right then and throttled hard and got past...

So I'm in Winton, dusty, dry and very outback looking, nice folk too!

Checked out the town, did the Waltzing Matilda centre, as you do...nice tune.

And some of the usual interesting outback museum artifacts...

Ktm touring model circa 1890...

Nice township...

My view for some of the arvo...

Pub dinner tonight then off to Cloncurry tomorrow...covered about 1650kms so far, bike's fine...still comfy, although a Goldwing FB6 would certainly excell on this ride .

More to come as the kms continue...

HyperPete screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 04:51 AM
HyperPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #18
Teabar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Great report. Love the pics, they show some great light. Particularly like the old towns and the road trains. You'd better be sure when you go past one of those, eh!

I'm also a proud owner of a 2012 690 Duke. It has 2 tours to its name, last year in the Pyrenees and this year in the Alps. It's a mega performing bike on the twisties. The punchy motor and engine braking are made for roads as such. I hope you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

I did do some long miles on the last day - about 1,200 Kms and 15 hours. Ouch!! It wasn't planned, just worked out that way.

Thanks for the great report.
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teabar View Post
Great report. Love the pics, ...

. It's a mega performing bike on the twisties. The punchy motor and engine braking are made for roads as such. I hope you've had a chance to put it through its paces...

Thanks, I enjoy taking and sharing the trip.
Unfortunately apart from just near home I think I've encountered 2 or 3 bends ONLY

This is a big country,most of the roads I'm covering are long and straight...hundreds of km each...
But, thats the trip, experiencing the wide open spaces ending with a visit to the Gulf. (Probably wont get any twisties for another 1000 or more km !!)

Constantly encountering local history and that of some of the many early explorers who did similar journeys back then on foot with packed camels,horses, taking months or years and sometimes not making it back. Makes one grateful for the life we have!

Here's the Duke at my Winton Motel, very comfortable

... dinner last night was funny/weird...seems all the tourists,about 10,14 of them all sitting on the sidewalk tables...were snobs... I havnt shaved a few days, wearing a karhki raggy shirt,pulls up on the bike and gets the stare...found it funny, not a word out of them during the meal, but I ventured into the pub with my drink after and had a few good laughs with the locals ending the night quite differently...

Any other place I've been its all friendly chat, think I got a bunch of strange ones by chance

Readying the load now for todays ride, about 500km? To Cloncurry the home of our Flying Doctor Service and a very needed service in these parts!!(hopefully not required on this trip)

Thanks for enjoying the ride with me

HyperPete screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 12:46 PM
Old 09-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #20
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Saturday 7 September

Took off from Winton in the cool morning breeze...which soon turned into a headwind...
But...it was nice

Lots of nothing...distant trees, few roadkill, saw a pussycat munching away at a fresh kangaroo pattie, unlike the birds,pussy just looked up with an evil stare...didnt stop to pat it

Stopped at Kynuna, middle of nowhere...topped up and had a drink...took a while to overtakema roadtrain carrying wool, the last carraige kept swaying covering most of the road!

Nice long straights...thought I'd blot out the speedo

Arrived early enough to take in some of the historical venues...

Visited the Flying Doctor Exhibition

Brilliant service, credit to those pioneers!!

Here's the pedal radio they used back then...

Ofcourse there were a few traditional pubs to visit...

Ending up in a nice motel, thought it was quiet, they're playing loud lawn bowls outside my window, so i sat outside with a ciggy, only have 6 lovely kids running around me playing hide and seek... gotta luv the country folk!!

HyperPete screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 03:46 AM
Old 09-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #21
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

kids....

So funny,
Those kids I mentioned playing hide n seek...they came to say goodbye and I had to go thru all this trip report for them explaining all the places I've seen... so cute
Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #22
KIZ
Marty

Oddometer: 429
Went through Barcaldine to Karumba last year(on way to OCR Cape yorke), lots of bends and no road trains , if you take all the dirt roads. Outback Jack has a story to tell about one bend north of Longreach, that had a bit of sand on it. Its great to get out that way thanks for shareing.
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #23
Neonasty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I came through outback QLD a few months ago. I couldnt believe the amount of dead wildlife and the cats. Ive never seen to many ferral cats. They wern't scared of the car and twice they popped their heads out of the dead roos guts to make sure we were gone.

Careful of the dirt around that area. ANY rain and your in for trouble. Dont ask how I know.
Neonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #24
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, i can imagine that the dirt route might just be a little more interesting...

I heard there's 2 to 3 feral cats per square km in the outback, quite scary to think...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #25
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

8 September, Cloncurry to Karumba.
2700kms clocked up in the past 8 days...only today did I start getting a bit sore on the Duke, I think more out of boredom brought on from the seamingly never ending long and straight roads,despite some amazing scenery...

Today I completed the final leg of the first part of this ride...arriving at the Gulf of Carpentaria.

Some captured moments....

First stop, about 55km out of Cloncurry...gopro wouldnt turn on...needed to remove/re insert battery and it went ok...

Little pub on its own...

Probably cant see it clearly, but the road disappears in a straight line into the horizon

Although i did see some mounds and there were THREE bends in 500km

And lots of ant hills...

Then I arrived at Burke & Wills Roadhouse, a nice relax + chat...

Continued along a few single lane sections, although only a few caravaners thought they were roadtrains and didnt care to share the lane...only a few oncoming encounters, I just slowed enough to anticipate a jump into the dirt, which i did for a few nomadic greyheads... otherwise it was a happy wave from most others oncoming...
Arrived in Normanton..wow...I made it..rather easily actually...trip meter just ticked over on 200km when i stopped for this pic, turned on and fuel light came on, some headwinds,some 130+cruise all probably contributed...

Lovely town, everyone seems to rather tanned

And The Croc...
Apparently a Lady caught the croc, of which this is a life size replica, I wonder if hubby ever dared to say NO to this 'Lady' ?

A little way further I arrived at Karumba...how thrilled I was, also very F#@n hot...34c, once in shorts at the bar I was fine..

That was sunset on my first night on the Gulf...settled into a battered Barramundi,prawns with a mornay sauce on salad, a few southerns,chat and here I am...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #26
andyjohnston
n00b

Oddometer: 1
now that looks like a fun adventure for an old man such as yourself. good to see you made it
andyjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #27
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjohnston View Post
now that looks like a fun adventure for an old man such as yourself. good to see you made it

You sound familiar sonny boy.

Yeah, bloody long way,but I'm very pleased with the Duke's performance, it's hardly stressing doing a cruise around 110-130, used about half a cup oil, but that was due at the start...overall its now crossed 26,000km (16,000Mi) and I'm oiling the chain every 500k or so...
Havent needed the extra fuel, but glad I got it..
Standard seat is the first in my memory that hasnt hurt tender..old butt. 10points to KTM?
Tyres are clearly squared off, suspension, although rear is set one off hardest, its still very soft, no harshness; buzzing seems mild in both pegs and bars, no numb/sore limbs, although one needs a workout

Once I get the Duke into the mountains near Cairns it'll get a workout, sort of looking forward to that...

"..such an old man..."
Old 09-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
Teabar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
A great report indeed. You mention fuel consumption a little earlier. I only get around 50 -55 UK mpg which is way down on the figs quoted in the mags (78mpg).

The seat is really as good as you say, which is unusual coming from a company known for making hard seats

Thanks for taking the time to post. It's great to get the variety. I've done a bit of a family motorcycling blog. I've posted a couple of my rides over the last 2 years in the Alps and the Pyrenees, both on the Duke. Feel free to check it out. Apologies for the rest of the guff but I haven't worked out how to isolate the posts etc.

http://sdtravelogue.blogspot.co.uk/

Steve
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #29
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, Teabear, i can see them getting 78mpg, if you stay under 4000rpm,probably dont exceed 80kmh... I got 76 on one of my tanks, i think the one where I did hang around 80/90kmh due to excessive wildlife, which helped then because it was I think 210 between fuels

Glad I left that Givi touring screen at home, pity the expense but with temps in the mid 30's (c) getting the wind thru the jacket is nice, and I'm wearing a bmw system6 helmet, works best in open wind, virtually noiseless, glare free tinted visor inside is great into the sun, vents actually cool a wide area, and the optional chin pads cut out or let in more breeze...only issue is the straps cut into my ears and get rather painful over time...but hopeful it'll bed in over time... oh, on a funny nite, the padding creates a double Mohawk on your hair, so you look real weird (well, in my case... weirder...)

Here's the view from this morning, 3 more days of this....

Doing a crocodile expedition tomorrow, hopefully come back with my arms and legs
Old 09-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #30
HyperPete OP
Studly Adventurer

10 Sept.

Missed the Sunrise but saw the end of some facinating clouds they call Morning Glory, unique to only a few places on earth...
Dont expect to see them but hopeful in the last 2 sunrises I have here...

Took a boat trip, only got a glimpse of a croc, but lots of birds,crabs and a nice lunch...disapointing on the crocs though. I'll see them in Cairns no doubt.

Well, little else occured on another relaxing day seeing sunrise, watching sunset with a barra on the plate... who's complaining