User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Ridercam OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
inquiring - Shipping several bikes from US to Australia

I am working on a plan to ship a few airhead bikes by container to Australia next year. I believe i could send them quite inexpensively if i sent them en mass and shared expenses I would plan on building wooden crates and forms to keep the solidly placed. Load them up and send them by ship to say... Melbourne. After a great month ride, I would pack them up again and send them home to the US.

Here is a couple of questions...

How many is a reasonable amount to ensure least damage and most security for a 20 and 40 foot container?

What is the cost for a 20 & 40 foot container from LA or Oakland? (i believe it could be under 2k...)

If it takes off, I may have some space for other bikes as well. Does anyone else have the same interest in getting your bike to the the land of OZ from the US?
Ridercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
A 20 foot container would probably take 25 bikes Ted, I'd ring a shipping agent in LA and ask about getting your bikes into a combined cargo container .
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,052
Australia will have the quarantine inspection (very strict) and roadworthiness inspection for each vehicle. Bikes will need traffic insurance, and also a carnet for temporary import to Oz. All those will up the costs and hassle. And you'll of course have to send them back, too. Have you found out, what renting would cost for a similar period?
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
zachbrowning
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Schumacher Cargo does roll on-roll off shipping of motorcycles around the world. If you give them a call, they'll explain all the details. The guy I talked to was very helpful and friendly. Ended up going a different route, so no experience with the actual shipping.
zachbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
I just sold a 20' container for $1300 .The container had welded tie down loops on the outside edges of the bottem.You could drill the floor and put some eye bolts in.Since you are right in the port of Oakland this woud be easy.You can move the container with a slide back tow truck.I woud be looking into the price of moving 1 20' container with all the bikes locked inside.
oldxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 796
Don't use wood.
Woody2627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
have a talk to Gabriel at inter global logistics in Hayward, you should know where that is,
From 880 Southbound:
Exit Winton East. Go across the freeway. Left on Meek Street.
End of Meek, Left into dirt road. We are next to the Water tower.
From 880 Northbound:
Exit on Winton. Make a Right turn.
Left on Meek Street. End of Meek, left on dirt road. We are next to the Water tower.
HOURS: 8 AM - 12 and 1 - 5 PM
CLOSE for Lunch : 12 to 1PM
Any questions, please call:
510-940-7447
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
CaptDanimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
sounds fun

Im also curious about the best way to get about doing this.

Riding Australia is on my to do list too. I have another rider friend that is also just about ready to pull the trigger so that's potentially two bikes more to add to a box.

I have a friend in Sydney that might be able to assist on the other end.

I'll subscribe to see who can provide good intel.

"dibs on the grenade "
CaptDanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
Don't use wood.
Three very important words were just used.

Wood packaging needs phytosanitary certificate or fumigation. Use wood without and you are expensively screwed.

Want to save money? use an agent in Los Angeles that does it for a living. There is a youtube link here on the forum somewhere.

Find the guys that do it, they will give you the checklist, clear US customs outbound (need docs to send a bike out, and you better have them when you bring the bikes back).

The guys in Los Angeles that do this also have contacts on the inbound side to clear when you get there and set up any thing (like headlight taping for beam direction) inspection related.

Edit: here is the like to youtube http://youtu.be/-KjRJlzp3aQ

Matt fe2o3 screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 10:55 PM
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
Three very important words were just used.

Wood packaging needs phytosanitary certificate or fumigation. Use wood without and you are expensively screwed.
Well I used a wooden crate to send my bike from Indonesia to Oz (Perth) in March 2008. It was fumigated in Indo, and I got the certificate of that with me. No problems at all related to the wood material at Perth. But if it had NOT been fumigated, then surely there would have been a world of trouble...

Worth mentioning here, that the vehicle must be made CLEAN AS NEW for AQIS inspection. Do take that requirement very seriously, unless you fancy a long and very costly delay, before your vehicle is approved to Oz (or in extreme cases, it can in fact be fully rejected, too, and you have to ship it onwards - this happened to a bus from my country a couple years ago).
Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Well I used a wooden crate to send my bike from Indonesia to Oz (Perth) in March 2008. It was fumigated in Indo, and I got the certificate of that with me. No problems at all related to the wood material at Perth. But if it had NOT been fumigated, then surely there would have been a world of trouble...

Worth mentioning here, that the vehicle must be made CLEAN AS NEW for AQIS inspection. Do take that requirement very seriously, unless you fancy a long and very costly delay, before your vehicle is approved to Oz (or in extreme cases, it can in fact be fully rejected, too, and you have to ship it onwards - this happened to a bus from my country a couple years ago).
Aye, very good points. Dirt or anything that looks like dirt is a no-no.

If you don't have fumigation/phyto cert you can usually arrange to have the container/crate fumigated. My direct experience with machinery in USA and Asia is the bonded trucking and fumigation costs run 750- to 1000 USD without a blink of an eye.

Add some dirt? Your guess is as good as mine....

Use a shipper that does this for a living is MHO.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,857
Here is my 1.2 cents
I went to Australia in 1999 and picked up the local paper.
In that paper were a lot of used motorcycles. I ended up buying a Yamaha 250cc something, cant remember. I just wanted something light and cheap.
It cost me AU$1,500, about US$1000 at the time when the US$ was worth something.
I rode that bike around Australia from December to May and it never once let me down. Dirt, asphalt, gravel, it saw it all. With a speed limit of 100KPH across most of AU I really did now want for more power.
At the end of the trip, I rode into a train station in Moree to catch the train to Sydney and left the bike in the car park.
The whole process of buying the bike was simple and legal.
I'd really reconsider spending a fortune shipping a bike unless you were on an onward trip like Asia or somewhere. There is no cheap way to ship a bike and an hour reading on the Horizons unlimited website will educate you really fast about the pitfalls of bike shipping.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #13
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
At the end of the trip, I rode into a train station in Moree to catch the train to Sydney and left the bike in the car park.

I like that attitude! Way back, I did some amazing trips on scooters with a few buddies around SE Asia... and we always joked about abandoning those cheap two-wheeled “chicken chasers” in some remote villages, especially if they started to give trouble. But they never did break down – not that bad anyway! (my 115cc scooter cost me less than 1000 euros NEW in Thailand!)

As a general rule I´d say that if you´ve only got one month, and you´re not very very rich, then do something else than send your own bike to Oz. If you´ve got, say, 3-4 months, then who knows. it might become a more feasible option. The shipping (both ways), carnet, quarantine inspection, roadworthiness inspection, mandatory insurance..... it´s just not making any sense for 30 days.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post

I like that attitude! Way back, I did some amazing trips on scooters with a few buddies around SE Asia... and we always joked about abandoning those cheap two-wheeled “chicken chasers” in some remote villages, especially if they started to give trouble. But they never did break down – not that bad anyway! (my 115cc scooter cost me less than 1000 euros NEW in Thailand!)

As a general rule I´d say that if you´ve only got one month, and you´re not very very rich, then do something else than send your own bike to Oz. If you´ve got, say, 3-4 months, then who knows. it might become a more feasible option. The shipping (both ways), carnet, quarantine inspection, roadworthiness inspection, mandatory insurance..... it´s just not making any sense for 30 days.
I agree with buying "there" and selling or abandoning (or contributing?) at the end? Several of a us "purchased" bikes in Cambodia back in January and sold them back at the end. My purchase price for decent 110 Suz big wheel scooter was $800, I got $745 back. That money was the basis for my contribution to Sustainable Cambodia, the charity which helped set up the ride. We then rented in Thailand. A new 250 CRF cost only ~$25/day.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,514
Buy a bike in oz. I can help you Guy's if needed. I am returning to Brisbane after six months of travelling north America.
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote