Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
dirt hokie OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
home brewed beer

any do home brew beer, how hard is to get a drinkable beer the first try,

i want to try to get somthing close to dos equis or yuengling, at least that basic style.

i like to start my internet exploring here, no other forum has some many people with vastly differnt backgrounds on so many differnt subjects, so if we can have 12000000page thread about wtf and awsome stuff i figure the beer knowledge around here must be breathtaking.
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,239
Go to your local homebrew store and ask about brew sessions/lessons there, or if there is a local homebrew club. You can learn a lot by talking and brewing with experienced homebrewers. And you can likely get some hand-me-down equipment, too. For beginners, extract brewing is a pretty easy way to get into it and getting good results. My local homebrew store makes pre-made kits that mimic well-known brews that come out quite tasty. I don't recommend starting out with a lager. The easiest and quickest one I've done is an English brown ale in the book below.

Buy Charlie Papazian's book, "The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing". Read it cover to cover.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.

Oddometer: 591
Start easy with a Coopers canned brewing kit.

I drank the first beer I brewed, 5 gallons, in a few weeks it was so delicious.
Kaanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,250
Both these guys are right. I started with Papazian's book and the Cooper's goo. First batch was good. Very soon I was doing 10 gallon all grain brews and drank great beer for very cheap for several years. Made about 70 batches and got right popular with my friends. Fun hobby. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
My 2 cents:
Don't buy Papasian's book, I like the guy but I think "How To Brew" by John Palmer is better and less foofy.
Find your local homebrew shop and buy a recipe (set of ingredients from them) or buy online. Adventures in Homebrewing (www.homebrewing.org) has free shipping now if you spend $100 or more, which should be about what you need to spend for an equipment kit and a recipe or two.
Find locals that brew and learn from them, they can teach you the ropes.
Get anal about sanitizing the stuff that needs it, this is the number one cause of crappy homebrew.

Have fun with it, I've been brewing for years now and I'm up to an all grain system and a 4 tap kegerator, it's not a cheap hobby but it's very rewarding. It's also nice to be able to make decent clones of beers you can't get in your area (e.g. I'm setting up to brew a Founders KBS clone for the holidays right now). There's also a longer thread about this in here somewhere, I think it's called "New Brewery".

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
any do home brew beer, how hard is to get a drinkable beer the first try,

i want to try to get somthing close to dos equis or yuengling, at least that basic style.

i like to start my internet exploring here, no other forum has some many people with vastly differnt backgrounds on so many differnt subjects, so if we can have 12000000page thread about wtf and awsome stuff i figure the beer knowledge around here must be breathtaking.
My first several batches were quite nice, about equal to some of the local microbrews. BUT those were ales. It sounds like you want to do lagers which is a whole other ball game (far more persnickity about temps and resting). A pilsner was my biggest failure (couldn't keep it at lagering temps). Tho my batch of RIS with mold floating on top isn't encouraging.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Get anal about sanitizing the stuff that needs it, this is the number one cause of crappy homebrew.
This.
Make sure stuff is clean.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,674
I bought a 5gal kit from Northern Brewer and am on my 4th batch now, an IPA.

I'm using their recipe kits to get the general hang of things before I decide to create my own. It's great fun and easy to see how a lot of folks geek out with it.

Now I want to get a Kegerator system to skip the bottling and get it on tap.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Carl Spackler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Anyone interested in an all-grain system, contact me. I'm gonna put mine up for sale. I've a shitload of gear and I'm moving. PM me and I'll send pics.

Hell, I'll post pics on this thread after I get home.

Love me some home brew.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I bought a 5gal kit from Northern Brewer and am on my 4th batch now, an IPA.

I'm using their recipe kits to get the general hang of things before I decide to create my own. It's great fun and easy to see how a lot of folks geek out with it.

Now I want to get a Kegerator system to skip the bottling and get it on tap.
Northern Brewer is my go to shop for recipes, they have great kits and the ones I've had from them were all really solid. Great nut brown, black IPA, saison (despite annoying yeast issues), etc. Usually not bad prices either.

If you have the scratch (OP or others), go to kegging. It's a steep start up cost (to give you an idea of the cost of my 4 tap, my fridge was $50, taps were $140, kegs were $200, gas setup was ~$200, remaining misc hardware was ~$100) but it's just so bloody easy and much more user friendly long term.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
...Get anal about sanitizing...
Anal sanitizing, there's an irony in there somewhere.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #12
flackattack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Good yeast and good water make better beer. Get the liquid yeast. Follow the directions. Fun hobby but unless you get really into it cost wise I bet I never saved much

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-31-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by flackattack View Post
Good yeast and good water make better beer. Get the liquid yeast. Follow the directions. Fun hobby but unless you get really into it cost wise I bet I never saved much

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I agree. Never use unfiltered tap water and buy the liquid yeast.

I'd say I have about $700-1,000 in brewing/kegerator equipment and its a hobby thats easy to keep spending $$$ to upgrade. If you resist that temptation, over time you will actually save money!

It's not so much about saving money for me, I like it because it's relaxing and rewarding to drink something you made yourself.
Kaanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,508
like said above, SANITIZE EVERYTHING that will come in contact with the beer, EVERYTHING!!!!I Pretend your doing surgery! we're dealing with active yeast cultures here, it doesn't take much for things to go wrong.
good advice for using known good water, I always buy gallons of spring water.
good water and good sanitizing, follow the directions and you will have some great beer.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Northern Brewer is my go to shop for recipes, they have great kits and the ones I've had from them were all really solid. Great nut brown, black IPA, saison (despite annoying yeast issues), etc. Usually not bad prices either.

If you have the scratch (OP or others), go to kegging. It's a steep start up cost (to give you an idea of the cost of my 4 tap, my fridge was $50, taps were $140, kegs were $200, gas setup was ~$200, remaining misc hardware was ~$100) but it's just so bloody easy and much more user friendly long term.
Agree on everything ... these Kegerators look nice but they are pricey. My only concern is the quality of the motor/cooling system in the long run.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/refri...c500bv-2.shtml
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: