User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Dirty Lloyd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Roll Chart Holder Best Practices

Greeting all! In 10 days my friend Gordon and I are heading out for a 5 day ride on the TAT. Got our routes from Sam, and purchased the roll chart holder Sam offers. We bought Tenn, Miss and Arkan. We are starting in Teleico Plains, Tenn..

Looking at Tenn, it is one continuos chart 400 plus miles. Sam mentions only putting a days ride on the holder at a time, however clearly it is a pain to switch charts mid day etc.. I have not tried yet but was going to try and load the entire Tenn route.

What are the best practices/tricks everyone has learned about these? Do you tape the chart to the pins to start them? Do you have the next set already rolled? Any experience with the lenght of a chart that works well on the Moose holder?

Any tricks would be appreciated. I used to ride enduro's, however the charts were not this big!!

L.
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,142
Haven't seen Sam's holder but in my IMHO, in the long run it will be best to just split them up by day.

Load the first day up and the others, roll them up head end first,i.e. the beginning of the day inside, the end of the day at the outside. Then mark them by day # and rubber band. Seal in ziplock bag.

WHen it comes time to load, tape the end of day on the bottom roller and start winding. That way you end at the beginning and don't have to wind again all the way through.

Use smaller blank "pig tails" taped to the rollers to make loading easier. When loading in a new road book,you just tape to the strip and not the roller itself.

my 2....
Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Dirty Lloyd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Good Ideas

Thanks! I will try that. Not sure how many miles we will do in a day. I am very experienced touring rider, however this is the first time I'm traveling on my dual sport. My guess, 200 miles a day.

Thanks again,

L.
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
Use smaller blank "pig tails" taped to the rollers to make loading easier. When loading in a new road book,you just tape to the strip and not the roller itself.

my 2....
This...and use a piece of a tyvek envelope or similar, gorilla taped to the spindle as the "tail".

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote