User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
jester125 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Is a 250 Adequate?

Before I spend the money to reg, insure and fully equip my 08 KTM XC-F 250 for use as a dual sport, is a 250 even enough? I want to so some enduros, dual sport rides and maybe a few hare scrambles but I'm really not sure if these size bikes are good enough to hang with all the other "big boys" I see on this site.

Thanks, Chris
jester125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,871
Absolutely.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,398
I'm in the process of Dualsporting a 250 smoker, the KTM makes a great dualsport. Keeps up with any of the pigs all day long on the fire roads and will dust them in the trails.

As long as your idea of Dual Sport is trail rides with a few road sections to connect trails you should be all good. The "Big Boys" are for doing the 300+ mile days on a regular basis. I wouldn't ride an XC4 to Alaska but I would do it on a KLR...and I'd never want to do a Hare Scramble on a KLR.

*(I'm in no way advocating anyone convert a 250 MX bike into an Adventure bike. I've only tagged mine so I can ride from the house to the trails and connect trails legally via public roads)

Dukeryder screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 09:45 AM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
jester125 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great thanks, now to get started. Theres a ride 2 weeks from now near me I hope I can have it ready by then.

Chris
jester125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I've only tagged mine so I can ride from the house to the trails and connect trails legally via public roads

This is exactly what 250's are good for. They are GREAT on trails, and fun on back roads.

I had a 250 for about a year, and it was a blast.

It takes me 1-1.5 hrs of street riding at 45-55 mph to get to any good trails though. 55 mph on a 250 on the street is not very comfortable for 1-1.5 hrs... so I sold it and got a 500. The 500 will cruise at 55-60 mph on the pavement all day... but is harder and more tiring to ride on the rough / technical trail sections. Its all a compromise....
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,871
Dual Sport is a catchy phrase. Anything with a plate is dualsport. Define big. 650 or 1150. Very different bikes.
Most of the 650's are fairly porky by dirt bike standard. 400lbs is a big bike to wrestle thru the rough.

It is all about gearing. I have my DR350 geared for hwy. More or less stock, maybe a few teeth lower in the rear. Several sprocket changes, and I don't even remember the original. Anyway. It will cruise all day at 60-70. I have done 300 mi days keeping up with bigger bikes. Full camping gear, big tank, big rider. It is a little slower on long steep hills.
My DR is a 6 speed. This really takes the pressure off at hwy speed. First gear is tall for technical but perfectly fine for most double track and a lot of single track. I am not a gifted rider.

Your KTM has a 6 speed so you should be good. You can add a tooth to the primary and gear up for hwy. Remember those big bikes are geared for 20mph plus, in first gear They aren't going to be doing any serious single track, unless the rider is special.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote