User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Night Train OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
How Harley Used to Build Motorcycles

This collection of photos from inside Harley Davidson's factory has grown to over three dozen images. Covering the v-twins from the early years right on through to the XR-750's from the 1970's. Interesting to see how some of the processes stayed the same for more than 50 years. These were taken when men were men and safety was for sissies.

A Look Inside the Harley-Davidson Factory of Yesteryear
Night Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Some nice pictures. It's easy to see the attraction those old Harley's have.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,796
I love seeing stuff like that. Those frame welding jigs were surprisingly primitive. Can't imagine how they managed to keep it it all true.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
that is what the cast iron lugs were for,and no required fitting of frame tubes.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
This collection of photos from inside Harley Davidson's factory has grown to over three dozen images. Covering the v-twins from the early years right on through to the XR-750's from the 1970's. Interesting to see how some of the processes stayed the same for more than 50 years. These were taken when men were men and safety was for sissies.

A Look Inside the Harley-Davidson Factory of Yesteryear

VERY interesting. I especially like this line. These were taken when men were men and safety was for sissies.
Seems like on every forum here safety is everything, and everybody believes that ABS and airbags, etc. will give them that. They are willing to give up control of their bikes for the sake of safety. What's even worse is that none of these safety gadgets have actually been proven to increase safety. Rider skill, experience, and the right attitude is what will keep you alive.

I am not a ATGATT rider, but do wear a full face helmet. I have no desire to get hurt, and have never crashed on the street in over 40 years and half a million miles of riding. I'm not bragging, I just think it is something to be proud of.

But back to Harleys. I know it is not yet old enough to be considered vintage, clones of it are still being built by the boatload. But I recently had the opportunity to watch someone rebuild an EVO motor, and absolutely fell in love with it. Despite the fact that it was made into the late '90s, this engine is about as close to a Model T as you can get. Harley (and the aftermarket) made almost every part in different sizes, so it could all be "fitted" together. Unlike Japanese bikes, every little part is replaceable, right down to the rollers in the bearing cages. It is obvious that a skilled and patient mechanic could build a much better engine than Harley did on their assembly line. The cases could be used almost forever, and the cylinders have several oversizes. Even the crank and con rods can be disassembled and rebuilt. And the aftermarket makes several upgraded parts.

Sadly when Harley went to the Twin Cam engine, they also went with the Japanese style manufacturing process in many areas, making them much harder to rebuild. To me, if an engine cannot be rebuilt a few times, it isn't worth very much. Just another disposable hunk of metal that costs more to rebuild than to replace. And since Harley has patented most of the parts on the new motor, the aftermarket will probably not be able to supply parts, at least parts that don't cost a fortune after they give Harley their share.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
What's even worse is that none of these safety gadgets have actually been proven to increase safety.
you really define tedious on a regular basis. ABS will stop you quicker without locking up the back wheel. try hitting an immovable object at speed and try stopping before impact and come tell us all about what works and what doesn't.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Monkeyshines
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
I love seeing stuff like that. Those frame welding jigs were surprisingly primitive. Can't imagine how they managed to keep it it all true.

frame straightener :)

Monkeyshines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

What I love about old bikes (besides the way they look) is the total lack of any kind of electronic technology. I even love points ignition. I want a bike that I can ride, not one that rides itself. I once owned a '66 Triumph Bonneville (for about 3 years) and loved it. I would still have it, if it hadn't broken down and left me stranded one to many times. Yes, I learned to carry spares for the stuff that broke most often, but that was not always enough. I had no problem with any other part of it, it was a joy to ride, is why I put up with it's constant problems for so long. I had no issue whatsoever with the brakes, I learned the proper technique for using them. Unfortunately the front brake cable broke constantly.

I want an old bike because I hate modern crap. And I will find one. It is not as easy as it would seem. I found 2 old cars real easy, one is 50 years old with 4 wheel non power assisted drum brakes. I have never crashed it. You have to learn to ride and drive the way people did back in the days before "modern" vehicles. Both my old cars are American. They would be impossible to keep going if they were Japanese, due to a lack of parts. Same issue with Japanese bikes. And 99% of most of the old bikes you find out there for a decent price are Japanese. After getting a really good look in that Harley engine, and finding out how cheap the parts are, I am now pretty sure that's what I want. A carbed non ABS EVO Harley with an actual throttle cable. I'll just have to save up a little more money.
1980 Puch moped
Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
Have you ever rebuilt an EVO or previous generation Harley engine? Nothing about them is straight off the assembly line. Each engine has to be hand fitted with the size parts that fit best, and often these parts have to be align bored and honed to get the clearances exactly right. Sometimes an engine has to be partially torn down and reassembled several times before everything is right. Harley makes about 7 different size camshaft shims, and a brand new engine can require pretty much any one of them to make it right. Building an older Harley engine is a lot like gunsmithing. No two are exactly the same.
1980 Puch moped
Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
you really define tedious on a regular basis. ABS will stop you quicker without locking up the back wheel. try hitting an immovable object at speed and try stopping before impact and come tell us all about what works and what doesn't.
you're talking to a guy who removed one of his bikes twin front disc brakes because it offered too much stopping power
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
you're talking to a guy who removed one of his bikes twin front disc brakes because it offered too much stopping power

did he really??
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Also he was kicked off the XT225 forum which is really hard to do. He advises mechanics to wash their hands in gasoline.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Also he was kicked off the XT225 forum which is really hard to do.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
A carbed non ABS EVO Harley with an actual throttle cable. I'll just have to save up a little more money.
JerryH,
I thought you said recently that you were set up money wise and getting ready to retire. What changed?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
JerryH,
I thought you said recently that you were set up money wise and getting ready to retire. What changed?
Nothing has changed. I am all set to retire March 30th of next year at 55. But that plan does not include spending a whole bunch of money on more bikes. I already have 7, and figured that's plenty to last me for the rest of my life. But I still find myself wanting a vintage non Japanese bike.
1980 Puch moped